Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat recovered from bladder stones, not sure what to do next

Options
  • 06-04-2020 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

One of our two cats had surgery to remove bladder stones 10 months ago, and since then has been on a special urinary tract diet to avoid re-occurrence. I am wondering if anybody has any experience or advice regarding two questions we have;

Does the cat have to adopt the diet permanently? He was recently re-scanned and there has so far been no recurrence of the bladder stone issue, can he ever go back to regular food? He likes the special diet a lot, but we're worried about whether it's healthy in the long term.

Our other cat prefers the urinary tract food to whatever option we put out for her, and will always ignore her own bowl when the urinary tract food is available in the other cat's bowl. Is there any harm in this? We have tried many different kinds of food but she always goes for the urinary tract option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

there are 2 main types of stones that cats can form - struvite and calcium - one i believe can be treated medically while the other needs surgery to remove larger stones... WATER is important to get the urine diluted, but if your cat isnt a great water drinker, I dont think you can do much on that score - wet food is better than dry (moisture) - you should discuss with your vet whether cat should remain on the diet - its expensive I know - but if there is no reoccurrance of the stones, then its either working, or your cat isnt 'growing' more stones - hard decision... I would talk with your vet in any case - the food hes on has a PH balance to prevent future stones, so whether or not that would be an issue for your other cat should be checked with the vet too

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

We advise keeping on the urinary diet - there are plenty of brands (see Zooplus) and many are cheaper than the readily available Hills/Royal Canin. Which diet is your cat on now - I will have a look and see if there's other options if you like.

The other cat can be on the urinary diet with no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We found that our cats put on a lot of weight on the urinary tract diet.
    After about 6 months we changed to a grain free kibble (applaws) and they are both doing fine, apart from the very occasional flare up.
    Water, water, water.

Advertisement