Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with sore leg

Options
  • 04-04-2020 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

We have a theee year old dog. She developed a limp in a front leg. I brought her to the vet and they said it was shoulder injury and to give her pain killers rest for a week. She was recovered and then resumed to normal walks. Then two weeks ago the limp reappeared.

We have tiles and wooden floors so she is forever jumping down off furniture and jumping off the kids beds. It seems to me like the pain is in the lower joint. Is there any kind of strapping you’d recommend or should I go back and have her xrayed.

I suggested this at the second visit to the vets and they dismissed it. It is a bit pricey to get the same bill a few weeks running for a continuity issue with the same treatment. In fairness on her second visit in the vet the limp wasn’t so bad which I assume was her terror at being in the vets. It’s gotten progressively worse now this week where she is trying to put no weight on it at all.

So in summary any recommendations how to proceed and are wooden floors / tiles slippy surfaces bad for dog in the longer term?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

From my own experience I would absolutely work with the vet, but there are also a few things that you can do yourself.

Stop them jumping down or up. One of mine had an issue similar to your own. Vets even suggested surgery.

he was started on anti-inflammatories and pain killers and we had to literally carry him upstairs and into the car.

We also started him on a supplement which was high in Glucosamine. he also had to loose some weight.

Gradually, as the joint got less tender, we dropped the pain killers and the anti-inflammatories but continued with the glucosamine tablets and weight loss and added fish oil also.

From a dog that two vets said required surgery (two years ago) he is running and playing and never has an issue (touch wood) with anything. We do make sure that he does not jump from any height though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

NSAman wrote: »
    From my own experience I would absolutely work with the vet, but there are also a few things that you can do yourself.

Stop them jumping down or up. One of mine had an issue similar to your own. Vets even suggested surgery.

he was started on anti-inflammatories and pain killers and we had to literally carry him upstairs and into the car.

We also started him on a supplement which was high in Glucosamine. he also had to loose some weight.

Gradually, as the joint got less tender, we dropped the pain killers and the anti-inflammatories but continued with the glucosamine tablets and weight loss and added fish oil also.

From a dog that two vets said required surgery (two years ago) he is running and playing and never has an issue (touch wood) with anything. We do make sure that he does not jump from any height though.

Are these supplements something you got in a pet store?
    On the weight front she is about 1kg over where she should be. We were giving her half a cup of royal canin medium dog food morning and evening- have reduced it to just under 4/8s two times a day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

riddles wrote: »
    Are these supplements something you got in a pet store?
    On the weight front she is about 1kg over where she should be. We were giving her half a cup of royal canin medium dog food morning and evening- have reduced it to just under 4/8s two times a day

Glucosamine should come in different strengths depending on the weight of the dog. As far as i know its over the counter in Pet Smart here in the states we go for the 1500mg version as our dogs are 45 kg...

We give the weight formula food for adults twice a day just one level scoop. They get one breath stick per day.

Go easy with the exercise too. At least until the paw is much less tender. Wish you the best with your pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

What breed is your dog OP?

In answer to your question re: wooden floors in truth yes they can be harmful for dogs with joint issues but you don’t know for definite yet.

Look up Yumove joint supplements I’d had great success with these for many years but like any supplement it take 2/3 months to be take effect and need to be given every day and consistently

Restrict the jumping maybe look at weight?

Not saying your dog is over weight but it’s a huge issues for many dogs with joints issues

Also add fish oils to their diet daily - great for the cot and joints give long term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

cocker5 wrote: »
    What breed is your dog OP?

In answer to your question re: wooden floors in truth yes they can be harmful for dogs with joint issues but you don’t know for definite yet.

Look up Yumove joint supplements I’d had great success with these for many years but like any supplement it take 2/3 months to be take effect and need to be given every day and consistently

Restrict the jumping maybe look at weight?

Not saying your dog is over weight but it’s a huge issues for many dogs with joints issues

Also add fish oils to their diet daily - great for the cot and joints give long term

She’s a cockapoo on the tall side just over 13kgs vet said he’d be happy if she was 12kg - we were accidentally over feeding her for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement