Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ideas for exercising your dog

Options
  • 28-03-2020 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

I was thinking we could have a tread with random ideas on keeping our four legged buddies occupied other than walking in public places;

Bubbles 10min and an energetic GSD needs to rest. Absolutely loved jumping and chasing every single bubble.

Any other ideas other than throwing a ball.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Training, puzzles, kongs, lick mats etc. I'm sure anyone who's had a dog who had ortho surgery/has been restricted from an injury is thinking "yeah grand" like me lol :D We've had plenty of training in keeping dogs busy without them moving too much

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I set up a dig box years ago in the garden but neither of my dogs took to it. I might give it another go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Just like with people, keeping a dog fit will help keep it healthy and resilient.
    For people that are stuck for open space playing tug might be a good option and depending on how determined the dog is, it could be a demanding workout for both dog and human!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Nosework.

Nosework, nosework, nosework. Nosework. I've been doing active and passive all round the kitchen and garden and living room. Might venture upstairs next week. It's my new most favourite thing.

Yeah agree nosework.

Just a quick game of hide the sweets or hide the toy.

I reserve hide the sweet for when I'm unwell and can't walk the dogs. I try to use their kibble and reduce their dinner accordingly. I hide them all over the place in completely random spots then release them from the utility or wherever and start shouting FIND THE SWEETS!!! Get them all worked up and they go insane sniffing for all they're worth! Find the toy doesn't work too well with mine as none are overly toy motivated but definitely would work for a lot of dogs.

It's a much more challenging game outside so weather permitting that's a great option.

You can also make your own agility course. Anything at all that you can teach them to jump over or crawl under etc. You don't need a big garden, just a little ingenuity.

• Advertisement

When the lock down started I decided Id do more obedience work with my dog. Her recall was in need of brushing up, that came back yesterday surprisingly within just a few minutes of starting.
    Today I figured I'd give getting her to walk to heel a lash. I've been trying this for about 4 years and she's always been too wired, wants to walk on point etc.
    Well today I've finally gotten her to do it! It's not top end malinois heel walking but it's a million times better than any previous attempt. So we both got something useful and productive out of our walk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

What do you mean by "walk on point"? Walk in front of you? Is that different from pulling on the leash or does one inevitably lead to the other?

volchitsa wrote: »
    What do you mean by "walk on point"? Walk in front of you? Is that different from pulling on the leash or does one inevitably lead to the other?

She's has very protective instincts, if for example I sit in a field facing one way she'll literally watch me back n sit behind me facing the opposite direction watching the area I can't see, same thing when walking, she has a tendency to go ahead trying to see what's coming, although not always, if I stop she will generally face the side with the shortest line of sight be it ahend me.

Even though she tends to got ahead she doesn't necessarily pull on every walk but that's more I think down to how enthusiastic she is on any given walk. Even when she does pull its only a fraction of how hard she really can pull...... She saves that for when she jumps out of the car looking for grass to do a no 2 on! ðŸ˜

What breed is she? I must look out for that, that could explain something I've always noticed but never understood when I put walking my dog.

There's a bench at a scenic point along the route I generally walk where I like to stay a few minutes. Now she'll be running like mad sniffing everything while I'm moving, but as soon as I sit down she'll come and sit beside me. Always. I've never paid attention to what her line of sight is. I always wondered why she didn't seem able to keep exploring at the same distance around me as she does when walking (off leash) though. Especially as I began sitting there partly so she could have a good sniff to her heart's content. But she never does!

Also she always likes to be at the same distance ahead of me when walking, so much so that - back in the days before social distancing - she'd sometimes be literally at the heels of someone up ahead who would start to get worried about why this dog was following so closely! The solution was always for me to pass them out, she never looked near them otherwise. But I always know that someone about 20 metres ahead of me is in her position and she'll keep that place anyway, whether or not someone else is in it. :)

What breed is she? I must look out for that, that could explain something I've always noticed but never understood when I put walking my dog.

There's a bench at a scenic point along the route I generally walk where I like to stay a few minutes. Now she'll be running like mad sniffing everything while I'm moving, but as soon as I sit down she'll come and sit beside me. Always. I've never paid attention to what her line of sight is. I always wondered why she didn't seem able to keep exploring at the same distance around me as she does when walking (off leash) though. Especially as I began sitting there partly so she could have a good sniff to her heart's content. But she never does!

Also she always likes to be at the same distance ahead of me when walking, so much so that - back in the days before social distancing - she'd sometimes be literally at the heels of someone up ahead who would start to get worried about why this dog was following so closely! The solution was always for me to pass them out, she never looked near them otherwise. But I always know that someone about 20 metres ahead of me is in her position and she'll keep that place anyway, whether or not someone else is in it. :)

Yep that sounds like the same behaviour! Mines a Scott type American Bulldog, what's yours?

• Advertisement

It does doesn't it? It's so obvious now you've described it, don't know how I didn't realise that before. :D

She's a mixed breed sheepdog. Both parents were working dogs so even though we're not sure of breeds, she must be mainly sheepdog. No bulldog or other guard dog afaik.

She's actually really sociable and friendly, including with other dogs usually. Except - and that's something I have noticed - when the other dog is in our personal space, I do have to watch her sometimes when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

OP, if you are on Instagram or Facebook look for #100daysofenrichment it’s a free series being run by AniEd. You might find some interesting ideas there. One of ours is hiding the sweets too as well as filling little kongs, soft freezing them and then I string them up diagonally under the table for them to lick.

Another thing I do is hide sweets in toilet tubes, hang them about the place for Esmae to find, she’ll take each one to her bed to destuff.

Mr C is more independent and is thrilled that my OH is working from home and I’m loving it cause I'm getting much more 1 on 1 time with Esmae without guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

I've been working on self control and boundary games with mine. The boundary being the raised bed.

My youngest is a very high drive collie and has been struggling with being able to think but yesterday I was able to work my older collie while he stayed in his bed.
    He was dancing in the bed but managed to stay there

Check out boundary games by Devon Dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

How do I make sure I’m not over exercising my lab?
    He is almost 5 months old.
    I walk through the fields with him everyday. I let him run off the lead. About 30 mins each way. He is always very energetic and since it’s of the lead he runs at his own pace. It’s probably 3.5km roughly.
    Want to make sure I’m not doing any damage in the long run.

When the lock down started I decided Id do more obedience work with my dog. Her recall was in need of brushing up, that came back yesterday surprisingly within just a few minutes of starting.
    Today I figured I'd give getting her to walk to heel a lash. I've been trying this for about 4 years and she's always been too wired, wants to walk on point etc.
    Well today I've finally gotten her to do it! It's not top end malinois heel walking but it's a million times better than any previous attempt. So we both got something useful and productive out of our walk

We had our most productive heel training yet, we did the last half mile of her walk with her walking properly to heel on a lead that was pretty loose and without pulling at all.
    Instead of her normal after walk trot around the garden, she just panned out on the driveway wrecked!

How do I make sure I’m not over exercising my lab?
    He is almost 5 months old.
    I walk through the fields with him everyday. I let him run off the lead. About 30 mins each way. He is always very energetic and since it’s of the lead he runs at his own pace. It’s probably 3.5km roughly.
    Want to make sure I’m not doing any damage in the long run.

The rule of thumb is usually 5 minutes per month of age, so at 5 months he should only really be doing 25 minutes, maybe 30, but not an hour.

The problem with thinking that he's going at his own pace is that it's not really true because he's going where you go. At the end of the 30 minutes he can't just flop down on his bed and sleep, he has to come home.

The rule of thumb is usually 5 minutes per month of age, so at 5 months he should only really be doing 25 minutes, maybe 30, but not an hour.

The problem with thinking that he's going at his own pace is that it's not really true because he's going where you go. At the end of the 30 minutes he can't just flop down on his bed and sleep, he has to come home.

Hi can I ask, is that 5 minutes per month of age broadly true no matter the size of the dog, please?

Thanks

Hi can I ask, is that 5 minutes per month of age broadly true no matter the size of the dog, please?

Thanks
    I don't know TBH. I know it's given as a general rule, for all breeds and sizes.

I imagine there's a difference in exact needs between tiny breeds and the giant ones, who take longer before they reach their adult size as well, but I don't know of any other straightforward guides for physical activity like that. Maybe posters who have more experience of certain breeds will know more.

But it should be right for medium sized dogs like labs, which was what the poster asked about. :)

I don't know TBH. I know it's given as a general rule, for all breeds and sizes.

I imagine there's a difference in exact needs between tiny breeds and the giant ones, who take longer before they reach their adult size as well, but I don't know of any other straightforward guides for physical activity like that. Maybe posters who have more experience of certain breeds will know more.

But it should be right for medium sized dogs like labs, which was what the poster asked about. :)

Many thanks :)

Advertisement