Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My 74 2002 project

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Diff seals are no big deal, especially with it on the floor like yours.

Wow 2 posts in a week ....
    no stopping me now.
    First of the trailing arms stripped and cleaned up.
    Managed to find some wheel bearings & bushes local & have the rest on order.
    Will report back next week when everything is painted and reassembled .

8c616f41-cefb-4a9a-8a5c-c40c130e0c90.jpg

I do need to remake the solid brake lines, anybody ever do it ?
    Might order one of these cheapo kits off wish

https://www.wish.com/product/5e75b69dd0f7ee44ab5e7213?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=IE&_force_currency_code=EUR&pid=googleadwords_int&c=%7BcampaignId%7D&ad_cid=5e75b69dd0f7ee44ab5e7213&ad_cc=IE&ad_curr=EUR&ad_price=19.00&campaign_id=9527731323&exclude_install=true&gclid=CjwKCAjw07qDBhBxEiwA6pPbHhpMsf4s0xYugYYTV9vj3HtC4fCwX9wrIcamreO4iZb-drkNxg1OWxoC8S8QAvD_BwE&share=web

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Super work, following with interest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I do need to remake the solid brake lines, anybody ever do it ?
    Might order one of these cheapo kits off wish

Easy to get new lines made up. Remove old ones and they'll match them.

Bending and flaring require special tools.

Thanks Mikehn,

I have managed to get the bearings out of the other trailing arm.
    It was looking like an absolute disaster for a while.
    the hub would not come off the splined shaft with the hydraulic puller or in the press.
    So much force that damage was going to happen but the bearing puller got in the end with a lot of heat from the map gas torch.
    the Hub got ever so slightly bent so I will keep an eye out for a new one but it's not a concern for the moment.
    also i know a lad with a parts car, unfortunately for me its a touring so the body is very different & extremely rotted.

loads of cleaning to do tomorrow (the easy stuff :D)

As for the brake lines ,no problem buying the tools myself and doing it.
    I like to learn and I like to buy tools :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

mikehn wrote: »
    Super work, following with interest.

Same as, but with envy thrown in :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

All lot of people fall down in restoration, by not putting enough detail into making the hard brake lines brackets, bends, routes and material look original factory fitted.

So we’ll worth the effort imho to do it properly yourself. Start by getting the correct pipe.

Subframe update ,
    remember this crusty thing ?

Subframe1.jpg

Is now this

Subframe2.jpg

Bearings, boots & bushes done.
    Just the brake lines left to do, just waiting on a small pipe bender to come.
    Going to run with the diff the way it is is for the moment.

detail1.jpg

detail2.jpg

Over a year now since I started , where has that gone....
    Not a massive amount done since the last update .
    waiting on a few bits to come + an engine stand.

Cleaned up the prop shaft,shocks and springs.

Prop in progress
    IMG-20210429-191040.jpg

Before & after on the springs

IMG-20210508-094756.jpg
    IMG-20210508-115531.jpg

I did take the drivers wing off for a look,
    Wing is in like new condition , few bits of rust towards the front around an old repair.

IMG-20210508-131504.jpg

The black looking metal is a repair patch.
    Easy enough fix I think.

IMG-20210508-131523.jpg

going to start looking at removing the gear box next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Great work there, really enjoying this thread and what you're doing to the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Great work. Cleaning components like that can be tedious but very satisfying.

I'd be inclined to replace the shocks being a consumable part. Any particular reason not to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Great work. Cleaning components like that can be tedious but very satisfying.

I'd be inclined to replace the shocks being a consumable part. Any particular reason not to?

I would too. Realoem says shocks are still available brand new from BMW believe it or not.

kaizersoze wrote: »

I knew someone would ask that.
    Well there is a few reasons, the main one being there are about 300 better places to spend money right now:D
    I'll be lowering it slightly when I do get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I knew someone would ask that.
    Well there is a few reasons, the main one being there are about 300 better places to spend money right now:D
    I'll be lowering it slightly when I do get them.

Ah spot on. I had a feeling there was a reason when you were being so particular with the other work.

By the way....that 300 figure is probably a bit closer to 400.:D
    I'm in the middle of getting a 93 Pajero back on the road.:o

Advertisement