Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question

Options
  • 05-02-2012 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

i know you can say --eistim leis an radio,feachaim ar an telefis.but can you use -feachaim leis an telifis??eistim ar an radio,or is it a case that -le -goes with eist and -ar- goes with feach only??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

ardri12345 wrote: »
    i know you can say --eistim leis an radio,feachaim ar an telefis.but can you use -feachaim leis an telifis??eistim ar an radio,or is it a case that -le -goes with eist and -ar- goes with feach only??

No you cant -

feachaim leis an telifis - kinda translates to I watch with the TV.

eistim ar an radio - I listen on top of the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Lots of verbs are used with specific prepositions.
    féach is used with ar like in English - look at
    éist is used with le like in English - listen to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ardri12345

thank you all,another quick question, the statement -"chuaigh cupla carr thar braid"-what does the word braid(fado over the A) mean as i can not find it in the dictionary??.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Ichecked focal.ie and it gave me.

http://focal.ie/Search.aspx?term=thar+br%C3%A1id

A couple of cars went into a passing shot (in front of the camera)

Not sure if that makes sense to you.

ah yes and no-i know it means a couple cars went past .by the context of the whole paragraph but what does braid mean?:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's just a phrase that means "going by/went by" (the front of) something.

go raibh maith agaibh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭deirdremf

thank you all,another quick question, the statement -"chuaigh cupla carr thar braid"-what does the word braid(fado over the A) mean as i can not find it in the dictionary??.
    Bráid means the throat/neck.
    úll brád means Adam's apple.

and another question for you guys,how do i conjugate the verb obair,as in oibríonn sé,cant seem to find the rules for this 2nd con.verb ending in ir,is it another exception??

aha-my mistake, the verb is not obair,it is oibrigh,but now i dont know where the expression ag obair comes from?-i cant see obair any where with the conjugated verb,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

some verbs get shortened in different forms:

inis > insíonn
    oscail > osclaíonn

hope that clears it up some bit

Advertisement