Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-09-2020, 11:51   #661
pinkypinky

I started trying to do it but it was a bit beyond me.

My Heritage does an auto-clustering thing for you which is similar (I think).
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-09-2020, 12:01   #662
BottleOfSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindhorn View Post
Has anyone tried using the Leeds Method to organise your matches?

I only have 11 shared matches between my 2nd and 3rd cousins. I can identify the matches on my grandmother's side (maternal) and grandfather's side (paternal). But lacking matches on the other sides.

Out of curiosity I added 100 4th-6th cousins to the list and again they mostly fall in to the first two clusters. I have four colours and one colour just has three matches out of 111, which seems quite low but maybe this is normal.
I'm trying various ways to group matches. The problem I have is that a video I watched on the Leeds Method mentions working with matches between 90 to 400 cM. But I only have two matches in that range.

I've recently collaborated with a number of American Ancestry users, and was amazed to see their sheer volume of matches. Before Ancestry hid the lower matches, I had about 16 thousand matches in total - while they had 80+ thousands.

So I think the techniques have been developed based on a higher number of matches than non-Americans tend to have.
Thanks from:
12-09-2020, 14:14   #663
mindhorn

I forgot about the 400 cM which means I only have ten falling within that 90 cM to 400 cM range.

I've added the remaining matches from the 4th-6th cousin range and grouped them with the matches from the 2nd-3rd range. Not sure what I'm trying to achieve here but might narrow down the search a little bit and make me focus on those links initially.
12-09-2020, 15:28   #664
pinkypinky

I went from 41000 to 13000 in the recent cull. The lower is still more than anyone could ever manage.

If I take the close matches as defined by Ancestry (4th cousins and closer), I have 300 people. 33/300 documented connections. A handful more I can place in the right part of my tree due to shared matches but have had no response. Of that 33, only 4 are below 40cM and most of them come from a non-Irish line with better records than we have.
12-09-2020, 17:14   #665
Hermy

Quote:
Has anyone tried using the Leeds Method to organise your matches?
Thank you mindhorn for mentioning the Leeds Method - I hadn't heard of it before.

For too long I've struggled with my DNA results but the simple logic of this method has given me an insight that had evaded me till now.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2020, 21:17   #666
mindhorn

Has anyone uploaded their results from an Ancestry test to FMP?
15-09-2020, 21:20   #667
BottleOfSmoke

Quote:
I think FindMyPast use Living DNA as the test company? I tend to forget they exist, they must have a much smaller database than the others. But primarily United Kingdom, so you may get lucky depending on your lines.
Thanks from:
15-09-2020, 23:49   #668
srmf5

Quote:
I have uploaded AncestryDNA results to Living DNA.
16-09-2020, 08:53   #669
Hermy

I've also uploaded to Living DNA but have only gotten four matches in the 3rd to 5th cousin range.
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 21:28   #670
srmf5

On Living DNA, I have one 2nd-4th cousin and 20 3rd-5th cousins.
17-09-2020, 14:16   #671
mindhorn

No harm I guess in uploading the results there. Though I’m struggling to sign up to Living DNA as it doesn’t redirect me once I click on sign up (terms and conditions box is ticked). Might be just some temporary issue with the registration page.
18-09-2020, 22:25   #672
Hermy

What are peoples experiences with 23 & Me?

I tested with Ancestry and then uploaded for free to GEDmatch, FT-DNA, My Heritage and Living DNA but would have to pay to use 23 & Me and I'm wondering is it worth it - am I likely to find many additional matches?
18-09-2020, 22:32   #673
BottleOfSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
What are peoples experiences with 23 & Me?

I tested with Ancestry and then uploaded for free to GEDmatch, FT-DNA, My Heritage and Living DNA but would have to pay to use 23 & Me and I'm wondering is it worth it - am I likely to find many additional matches?
When I was starting my research as an adopted adult, I followed the advice to fish in every pond - do Ancestry, transfer where you can, and then pay for 23andMe.

Of course, you can get lucky with that single high match anywhere. The problem is that 23andMe doesn't have trees, like on Ancestry. People can enter a list of ancestral surnames, but that's not particularly helpful. You're relying on them replying to a message.

I would say - if you've got the disposable income and have a need for that extra possibility - then go for it, otherwise it might be nagging at you that you're missing out.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion