Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish words for muscle and vein

Options
  • 02-07-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, I live in a Scottish Gaelic speaking place and there's a wee debate about the words for 'muscle' and 'vein'. Some people use 'fèith' for muscle and
    'cuisle' for vein but some use 'fèith' for vein.

I was wondering what words you would have in Irish for these things. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ealasaid wrote: »
    Hi, I live in a Scottish Gaelic speaking place and there's a wee debate about the words for 'muscle' and 'vein'. Some people use 'fèith' for muscle and

Yeah féith is vein.
    Matán is muscle(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Ealasaid

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Ealasaid wrote: »

Féitheog is used in Donegal instead of matán.
    Cuisle for vein and pulse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I believe féith can be muscle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Ealasaid

Oh, so it's confusing in Irish as well then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Dineen dictionary from 1926 shows Féith in compounds to do with both muscle and veins see last entry on right here. Typeface is in Cló Gaelach

Féiṫeaċ == Féitheach

0445-feir.png

Old/Middle Irish shows us that both could mean vein (with glosses of Sinew for Féith), this probably explains fact that depending on dialect in either modern Irish or Gáidhlig you see both terms showing up.

http://www.dil.ie/search?q=vein

Advertisement