Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanic who can house-call?

Options
  • 13-07-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭

Think the starter motor is gone kaput in my car.

Car won't turn over - just hear clicking and slight hum from ignition - battery has been tested and seems fine!

So it's either the starter motor or possibly a corroded / loose connection somewhere.. former could be more likely as it did start happening quite suddenly.

But does anyone know of a mechanic who'll call out to diagnose it? In Sligo town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Sounds like you need an auto electrician rather than a mechanic. Try Coach Electric on MCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Basq wrote: »
    Think the starter motor is gone kaput in my car.

Car won't turn over - just hear clicking and slight hum from ignition - battery has been tested and seems fine!

So it's either the starter motor or possibly a corroded / loose connection somewhere.. former could be more likely as it did start happening quite suddenly.

But does anyone know of a mechanic who'll call out to diagnose it? In Sligo town.
    If it's the starter, you could get a couple of lads and push start it then drive to garage.
    I don't know how you went about testing the battery but it's possible that is partially flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

red sean wrote: »
    Sounds like you need an auto electrician rather than a mechanic. Try Coach Electric on MCR.
    Yeah, have never tried them... tend to go to Fred and Joe in IMC - very good at their electrics too!
    mickdw wrote: »
    If it's the starter, you could get a couple of lads and push start it then drive to garage.
    It doesn't sound like it's engaging at all.. it's not it's like struggling.. there's nothing there. I don't think a push start will do it to be honest.
    mickdw wrote: »
    I don't know how you went about testing the battery but it's possible that is partially flat.
    New battery only went in about 2 months ago, LED indicator on it says it's healthy. Took off connections to battery - little or no corrosion on connectors, and cleaned up. Headlights are fully lit also. Also tried to jump start - no luck!

Due to this - the last thing I reckon it is the battery at this stage.

Thanks though lads.

If you can access the starter motor, try tapping the casing with something heavy like an iron bar. It may free out the starter brushes and enable you to start the engine!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    If you can access the starter motor, try tapping the casing with something heavy like an iron bar. It may free out the starter brushes and enable you to start the engine!
    Yeah, did that earlier - no luck I'm afraid.

Think a push start will probably work actually so might give that a shot tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with it, joys of motoring, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Coach Electric called to my house when I had an electrical fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Have you breakdown on your insurance, you can get a diagnostic free of charge that way at least you will know for sure.
    Also if you know anyone who is a full member of the AA they are usually covered when in another car , might work

Thanks all.. push-start didn't do it unfortunately.

No breakdown assistance on my insurance.. did check it. Tempted to take it out on my next renewal.

Might give Coach Electric a call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

When the starter engages a gear moves forward and engages with the engine. If it is stuck engaged if you put the car in gear and rock it forward and back it might free it up.

• Advertisement

dingding wrote: »
    When the starter engages a gear moves forward and engages with the engine. If it is stuck engaged if you put the car in gear and rock it forward and back it might free it up.
    Cheers dingding.. yeah, I got that it started once using that method at the weekend, but have tried it since and hasn't started. It's been in my drive since Saturday (bar attempting a push-start) and not been able to get it to engage yet.

Didn't get to give Coach Electric a ring today... to be honest, the car has had real issues lately - no NCT due to sky-high emissions so was planning on upgrading shortly anyways. By the time I get a mechanic to call out and have a look at it, unless it's something relatively simple like a corroded connection - I'll probably be out of pocket on something I'll only be driving for another 3 - 4 months tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Basq wrote: »
    Cheers dingding.. yeah, I got that it started once using that method at the weekend, but have tried it since and hasn't started. It's been in my drive since Saturday (bar attempting a push-start) and not been able to get it to engage yet.

Didn't get to give Coach Electric a ring today... to be honest, the car has had real issues lately - no NCT due to sky-high emissions so was planning on upgrading shortly anyways. By the time I get a mechanic to call out and have a look at it, unless it's something relatively simple like a corroded connection - I'll probably be out of pocket on something I'll only be driving for another 3 - 4 months tops.

Post the details of the car, might take it off your hands for a six pack and two mars bars? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Going to hijack your thread, but on a similar vein, what mechanics are open Saturday morning? The bracket for the exhaust just broke on our car and was meant to be taking kids away for the weekend. Insurer sent somebody out but he reckons it needs to be brought to a garage as it'll need a lift. Are Advance Pitstop the only game in town on a Saturday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

mg motors in collooney are open saturday mornings. close to where funny bones are.

Advertisement