Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpainted houses

Options
  • 25-02-2021 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

I'm seeing a lot of new houses these days built with the best of the best materials. A rated Windows, air source heatpumps, fancy doors with stainless steel bar, a corner chopped out of the wall completely filled with glass. Inside all nicely tiled with modern fitted kitchen that cost a fortune. All in all many 100,000s spent on the thing

But no funds or bother left for a lick of paint. So the building retains its unfinished foreboding dull grey plaster colour forever. Why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm seeing a lot of new houses these days built with the best of the best materials. A rated Windows, air source heatpumps, fancy doors with stainless steel bar, a corner chopped out of the wall completely filled with glass. Inside all nicely tiled with modern fitted kitchen that cost a fortune. All in all many 100,000s spent on the thing

But no funds or bother left for a lick of paint. So the building retains its unfinished foreboding dull grey plaster colour forever. Why?

Part of the thinking is that you can only have the new house appearance once no harm leaving it that way until it starts to look alittle scruffy.
    Also, if talking self builds, it will be the last thing that money is thrown at with lots of internal finishing eating up money that most dont have at the end of a build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

The cement plaster has to dry out for a number of years before it's painted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

There hasn't been a pretty new build estate in Dublin in nearly a decade by my reckoning. Every new home today is for the upper end of the market (typically starts at 380K unless they are in the far north of the county) and are completely uniform- just a tall, high roofed monstrosity.

https://www.daft.ie/new-homes-for-sale/dublin

Lacking in any sort of charm, any homely feeling. How people are rushing to buy these things I'll never understand.

Not to mention handing over 380K to find the house next door has been designated a Part V and Margaret Cash's cousin is your new neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,424 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You are talking of between 1000 and 3000 to get an average enough house externally painted. Paint and materials alone can run to 5 or 6 hundred euro.

There's an obsession these past few decades of getting everything finished at the same time in a house. There are certain things that people prioritise when cash is tight as it usually is. Painting can be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

kippy wrote: »
    You are talking of between 1000 and 3000 to get an average enough house externally painted. Paint and materials alone can run to 5 or 6 hundred euro.

There's an obsession these past few decades of getting everything finished at the same time in a house. There are certain things that people prioritise when cash is tight as it usually is. Painting can be one of them.

Around 1% of the price so and 0.2% if they do it themselves

Tis only the very odd time that one actually gets painted. I know a good few that have otherwise been finished for years. Today I saw one that was starting to paint itself red with whatever stuff was growing on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

There hasn't been a pretty new build estate in Dublin in nearly a decade by my reckoning. Every new home today is for the upper end of the market (typically starts at 380K unless they are in the far north of the county) and are completely uniform- just a tall, high roofed monstrosity.

https://www.daft.ie/new-homes-for-sale/dublin

Lacking in any sort of charm, any homely feeling. How people are rushing to buy these things I'll never understand.

Not to mention handing over 380K to find the house next door has been designated a Part V and Margaret Cash's cousin is your new neighbour.

Out of curiosity care to mention an estate that you class as pretty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Cyrus wrote: »
    Out of curiosity care to mention an estate that you class as pretty?

Ballymun in the 90s was more aesthetically pleasing than these horrible looking boxes.

Pretty much any housing estate from the early council ones in Crumlin to the Celtic Tiger ones in north and west dublin have more character than this rubbish. They actually look like a home rather than a box.

Fools and their money etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Tis only the very odd time that one actually gets painted. I know a good few that have otherwise been finished for years. Today I saw one that was starting to paint itself red with whatever stuff was growing on it
    Typically a new home buyer will have cleaned themselves out to get it finished out internally, that last 1 percent is hard found and seeing as it can wait, painting gets left behind.
    If its a case of fitting out and tiling a bathroom versus painting the outside, the outside will be left for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

My house is unpainted. It's expensive and there are bigger, more important things that need doing. If someone doesn't like looking at it, they're more than welcome to get it painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,424 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Have you ever bought/built a house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Sounds like a job for Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran.

Advertisement