Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Engineer Attic Conversion

Options
  • 13-02-2021 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I’m looking to convert attic with truss roof to non-habitable storage space. The space will need steel to support the roof and floor on both sides. My Neigbour with the same style house got a conversion done recently and I got chatting with a sub contractor on the job which I plan on using for my conversion for the 1st fix . Unfortunately I don’t have access to the engineer that was used on my Neigbour’s house but the sub contractor has pictures of all the stages of that build. Would I be able use these pictures and arrange site visits with an engineer in order to certify. Based in West Dublin if you could recommend an Engineer please pm me the details.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

CFC007 wrote: »
    I’m looking to convert attic with truss roof to non-habitable storage space. The space will need steel to support the roof and floor on both sides. My Neigbour with the same style house got a conversion done recently and I got chatting with a sub contractor on the job which I plan on using for my conversion for the 1st fix . Unfortunately I don’t have access to the engineer that was used on my Neigbour’s house but the sub contractor has pictures of all the stages of that build. Would I be able use these pictures and arrange site visits with an engineer in order to certify. Based in West Dublin if you could recommend an Engineer please pm me the details.

You need to engage the engineer prior to the works. They will not and should not accept pictures as the sole proof of works carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 snagliststeve

You definitely need to get your own engineer. The 2 houses may be on the same development but that does not mean the 2 roofs are identical. There could be something in your roof that is not in the neighbours. A structural engineer will not & should not sign off without seeing the works carried out. You need to engage the engineer to design the loft conversion for you. Give [snip]....

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Thanks Steve
    You definitely need to get your own engineer. The 2 houses may be on the same development but that does not mean the 2 roofs are identical. There could be something in your roof that is not in the neighbours. A structural engineer will not & should not sign off without seeing the works carried out. You need to engage the engineer to design the loft conversion for you.

Advertisement