Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people disliking Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭hoodini89

Ireland's not a bad place to live in! It's one of the safest countries in the world considering we don't get any natural disasters or extreme weather, has one of the lowest rates of car fatalities in Europe.

And the people are one of the friendliest! I lived in Spain for a while and was so happy to get back to the craic in Ireland, ya can't bate it :P
    I agree with RGM, the grass is always greener..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Op would I be right in saying that you live in Glasgow??????????

And you think Ireland is ****e? Would love to hear your comparisons!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Ah shure the Irish are great craic i.e great at getting pissed and vomiting and urinating on the street. Everyone loves us and we really contribute to other cultures when we go abroad especially by getting pissed, fighting unrinating in public and vomiting on the street.
    And then we elect TD s because they promise to get us grants and medical cards we are not entitled to. Also they put it up to "that crowd in Dublin" we're great craic entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

the great thing about ireland is the isolation, hospitality and sense of humour.
    and the worst thing is the people, if you're in public you're always withing farting distance of a collosull idiot who wants to display his/her sheer obnoxious stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

We have nice food, as in Meat and Poultry :)

Aside from that and my Dog, I either do not miss or actively dislike everything about Ireland. I'm not saying where I am currently is better but objectively.

Pros: The Craic with genuinely friendly people, not 'lads', Food, Non extreme weather, High Wages, Good Education, Very high standard of living, compact and generally safe

Cons: Drunken idiots (including myself at times)/ Drink culture, rip-off, no nice weather, Education et al not commensurate with cost to taxpayers, no jobs, nation of complainers (irony?), car insurance,

Essentially every good point has a bad counterpart.

Irish are friendly? Irish are an embarrassment
    Ireland gave culture to the world? Ireland is deluded about it's own history and manufacture culture
    Ireland has running water Uni etc? Ireland is bankrupt due to such things being done poorly

Really the only benefit is the 'social capital' generated by our excellent PR that treats tourists etc better than we treat each other at times.

I don't miss Ireland, I don't miss Irish people (save for the odd bit of nostalgia)

It's a kip, always has been, always will be but it comes in handy sometimes.

Still better than 90% of the world...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

elefant wrote: »
    It's not the country itself, it's the people in it that make Ireland a great place. It sounds weird, but I don't miss Ireland living abroad, yet I do miss the Irish.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    See that to me as bad a generalisation as saying Ireland's a shithole. There's a lot a absolute pricks, both at home and abroad.

I'm with elephant on this, it is a beautiful country with great scenery but there is a lot of countries with even more spectacular scenery only a short plane ride away, with weather a lot better than Irelands, but its the people that make it extra special,
    ifyou ever travel around the tourist sites of Europe, you'll find most of the people working in these places are about as friendly as a coldsore, with an odd one being nice and genuine.

BUt here is the difference, Dinny down in rain soaked Kerry owns a souvenir shop/or a cafe whatever, servicing the tourists.
    Now Dinny is a bit on the expensive side, but at least he smile nod and chat and have a great interaction with you, all the while he's taking your money out of your wallet.

Giuseppe in sun soaked Italy who owns the same business as Dinny will barely acknowledge your existence as you pass him your hard earned money.......

To me that is the difference.

!!! wrote: »
    PS genuinely not trolling!

Typing "uhh, I'm not trolling, I swears it", doesn't work I'm afraid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement