Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The passage of time

Options
  • 19-06-2007 11:46pm

Apologies for the lenght of this in advance, and the sombre theme of it.

Right, when i was in primary school, every summer it seemed that going back to school time was always aaaaaaages away. Then, before you know it, i'm back in Guiney's with me ma, trying on blue shirts (me not her) and complaining that i still had 2 weeks left to play before it was September.

Then 6th class came along, and i was thinking, "Jaysus, that whole primary school thing went fairly sharpishly......at least i've a year left and a confirmation and entrance exam to do before i'm a small fish in a big pond again". Before you know it, again, It's August '94 and i'm sitting in the 1st class of 1st year and thinking that the Leaving Cert. is absolutely miles into the future.

Quick blink of an eye and it's August 2000 and i'm left wondering where all the years in between went to, and why it seems so far away at the start, but seems to fly by when it's all over.

These are extreme examples, i know, but i get this kind of feeling all the time. With almost everything. You know the way you go on holidays for 2 weeks somewhere and you're all giddy on the plane, but in what seems like almost no time at all, you're back in the queue for taxis outside the airport, befuddled that it went so quickly? That's what i'm talking about.

On a smaller scale, it's the same thing when Friday evening turns into Monday morning and it feels like you've never been off at all.

It also seems like time is getting faster and faster, and it's beginning to drive me bonkers. Ages 9-14 seemed like an eternity. Ages 14-20 seemed like it took half that time, and ages 20-26 like half that time again.

I'm starting to think that am i gonna someday wake up and I'll be 75 years old, with only a couple of years left in me, wondering where all the time went to? It's thoughts like these that make me wanna give up the smokes and the booze and the class A's etc. but then i start thinking, "But that's the sort of lifestyle i enjoy, and if it's gonna be over before i know it, then i might as well enjoy it while i can".

Am I just talkin' out of me hole?..........Is it just me that feels this way sometimes?................Am i having a mid-life crisis at 26 years of age.....(shudder).......?

Anybody?

Edit: Do people in their 30's/40's feel like their 20's/30's flew by?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

certainly yore ma isn't looking as young as she used to with her kit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have a theory about this, that time is relative.

No actually, that the more experiences you gather, the more of them will slot into the same experience category and not count at all. Only new experiences really counts and as we get older there are less and less of those. Hence days seem shorter - they become more and more similar to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah I think time is speeding up too.
    I propose a lengthy study, at the tax-payers expense of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

copacetic wrote:
    certainly yore ma isn't looking as young as she used to with her kit off.

But YORE MA is right now.

I finally lowered myself to a yore ma comment. I feel dirty, but somewhat satisfied. JUST LIKE YORE MA

Jumpy wrote:
    But YORE MA is right now.

I finally lowered myself to a yore ma comment. I feel dirty, but somewhat satisfied. JUST LIKE YORE MA

nice work. it's fun, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I posit that, for a brief moment in June 1999, Yore Ma posts were actually funny.

In other news, I couldn't agree more with you, OP. When my dad told me to enjoy my school years as they would fly by, I told him he had to be joking.

I turned 30 in June, and the last ten years are like a blur.

Moral of the story is, be good to yourself and those around you, and don't get caught up in the nine to five...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Time just seems to speed up as you get older , I think at one point or another we all think 'Jesus it's been [insert amount of years here] , where did all the time go ? '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

biko wrote:

No actually, that the more experiences you gather, the more of them will slot into the same experience category and not count at all. Only new experiences really counts and as we get older there are less and less of those. Hence days seem shorter - they become more and more similar to each other.

I like that theory. It works better than mine. Mine is that we are more aware of time the older we get, and we are keeping our eyes forward to each date and deadline that comes and goes, without stopping much to experience the nowness or whatever. So suddenly it's June 20th 2007, we have entered the second phase of the year :eek:

Happy 2nd Half Year! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Without dwelling on the "what is time question" , As you age a certain set period of time(say one year) becomes an ever decreasing propoption of your total experience of being alive. Probably due several effects including some time perceptual hardware in brain and the psycholocial structures that allow us perceive and interact with space-time. Just be gratefull because if there was no time there would be nothing! (unless a timeless/spaceless state/entity exists outside of out everyday universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Doesn't help that it feels like we've gone straight from May to November either :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Definitely agree with OP. Im 27 & while I wouldnt say that school flew by, I definitely feel like the 10 years since has been the blink of an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the quicker it goes.

True you know!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I turned 30 last year as well, and it seems like no time since I was in college, doing what people do when they were there, yet it is 13 years since I started college, and to the people who are there now I am ancient, yet I don't feel it. Life is weird like that. I think part of it is that so much of our days are on autopilot essentially, and we are not watching the kettle anymore, so to speak.

Also, I think global warming has speeded up our clocks somewhat. I hope our new Green ministers do something about that, probably something in the line of a tax on time speeding emissions or something cunning like that.

I posit that, for a brief moment in June 1999, Yore Ma posts were actually funny.

see roundy, thinking like this is a sure sign you are getting old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Without dwelling on the "what is time question" , As you age a certain set period of time(say one year) becomes an ever decreasing propoption of your total experience of being alive. Probably due several effects including some time perceptual hardware in brain and the psycholocial structures that allow us perceive and interact with space-time. Just be gratefull because if there was no time there would be nothing! (unless a timeless/spaceless state/entity exists outside of out everyday universe.

[Doctor Who]
    Well...people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.
    [/Doctor Who]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Von Manstein

I remember reading in the Economist about a report that was done into the 'pace of life' in the countries of the world. Switzerland was number 1 and Ireland was number 2 (or possibly the other way around). Number 3 was Germany. Some countries just have a faster pace of life at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

$hifty wrote:
    Edit: Do people in their 30's/40's feel like their 20's/30's flew by?

Exact same here $hifty. We're around the same age as those dates are the same for me. Summers used to last forever when you were a kid but now everything just flies by. Can't believe how fast the xmas's come around :eek:

But the one good thing I find is that at least pay day comes so fast even if its a whole month away!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The first reply in this thread took me back in time. A time when the internet was ridden with idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

We are all travelling towards the ultimate end at the rate of 24 hours per diem.... it does seem to speed up though, towards the end... jaysus, I sound like an old fella now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

$hifty wrote:

It also seems like time is getting faster and faster, and it's beginning to drive me bonkers. Ages 9-14 seemed like an eternity. Ages 14-20 seemed like it took half that time, and ages 20-26 like half that time again.

dude it's a well known phenomenon, theres even poems about it

When as a child I laughed and wept,
    Time crept.
    When as a youth I waxed more bold,
    Time strolled.
    When I became a full-grown man,
    Time RAN.
    When older still I daily grew,
    Time FLEW.
    Soon I shall find, in passing on,
    Time gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

I'm having my mid-life at 24. My first year out of college has flown by. Stupid 9-5 all days are the same! I seriously go home and think what did I do today? Going travelling to escape the 9-5- but no idea what I'll do when I come back :eek: At what point do people figure out what they want to do with their lives !!!

I seriously miss summer holidays! Crap jobs dont seem so bad when they're for three months! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

Funny I should come across this right now mr shifty. only this morn I was thinking exactly the same thing and it hit me like a tonne of bricks!

I swore to myself there and then that I was going to make the time go slower and thought maybe of the following changes might work:

Play less poker
    Watch less telly
    Dont play that deadly pool game on my phone anytime I'm taking a crap or sitting on a train or otherwise have a free 2 minutes
    Dont go on a bender every weekend
    etc, you get the point

Thought maybe I was being occupied and entertained too much and it was just soaking the time up.

I thought that might help but reading this now maybe it won't! Maybe there's nowt that can be done cos it's one inescapable things like tax & death!

shyte......

lsd FTW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

This is an utterly depressing thread because I feel exactly the same.

It feels especially bad if I go out on a mid week feed of beer. Next morning with eyes like pissholes, greasy hair and doing kebab/Guinness farts and burps walking down the street thinking about when I was school I had so much potential, world was my oyster, I was in control of my destiny, I was fit and healthy and strong and smart.

I then wonder where the years have gone from when I was in school and how they could have passed so quickly and I wonder will future years pass just as quickly or even more quickly. Tis hateful. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

biko wrote:
    I have a theory about this, that time is relative.

Good post-I'd agree with that. I guess you could follow that on in a similiar way with space. When you're a certain size, the world seems endless, not only in terms of size, but of possibilities, but then it shrinks as you get bigger.

So, combining time with space, my world and experience will consist of my bed in an old folks home when 75. Cool!:)

This thread is soooo depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Outta my way old fogies; I'm in the springtime of my youth.

OP you need to relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

I seem to be caught in some sort of weird temporal vortex where time seems to be going backwards.

I'm 25 now but I earn less money than I did two years ago, I have less responsibilities than I did 3 years ago and my hair is crazier than 5 years ago.

I can't wait till my secondary school reunion...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

OP you need to relax.

no the OP needs to write a book

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Jigsaw wrote:
    This is an utterly depressing thread because I feel exactly the same.

It feels especially bad if I go out on a mid week feed of beer. Next morning with eyes like pissholes, greasy hair and doing kebab/Guinness farts and burps walking down the street thinking about when I was school I had so much potential, world was my oyster, I was in control of my destiny, I was fit and healthy and strong and smart.

I then wonder where the years have gone from when I was in school and how they could have passed so quickly and I wonder will future years pass just as quickly or even more quickly. Tis hateful. :(

Kill me now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

But seriously, Trust me on the sunscreen.........

Advertisement