Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Button fly in make pants - inventor should be shot

• 08-09-2019 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Why or who was the instigator of this trend. Button flys have to be the most impractical thing ever invented. Was it to reduce the number of male‘helmets’ getting injured by a rapid closing of zip......? Honestly the person/company should be shot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

So, what would you suggest? Velcro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Make pants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RMAOK wrote: »
    So, what would you suggest? Velcro?

That would match his shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That would be Levis. Only been zips in them since 1947. Zipper itself exists since the 1890s.

https://www.levistrauss.com/2014/10/03/the-great-denim-debate-button-versus-zipper/

EDIT: Button fly pants/jeans came out of the mining industry in the 1850s, but Levis patented their version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Why or who was the instigator of this trend. Button flys have to be the most impractical thing ever invented. Was it to reduce the number of male‘helmets’ getting injured by a rapid closing of zip......? Honestly the person/company should be shot

It’s the skin, not the “helmet”, that’s in danger for most. And it’s bloody sore.

Button fly is great.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Don't like them, don't buy them.

Unless of course this thread is about accessing items stored behind other people's flys.

****in hate button flys. Whoever invented it was
    an utter lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

It’s the skin, not the “helmet”, that’s in danger for most. And it’s bloody sore.

Button fly is great.

Fore skin hugely at risk but helmet for the Jewish lads and those circumcised amongst us.....so maybe they were invented when some well heeled Jewish guy got his helmet ripped apart by a zipper...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Why don’t you just buy trousers that have been designed with your preference of fly included. Surely handy enough thing to overcome?

My preference is for a button fly. This follows a very nasty incident many years ago where a dangerously drunk young JohnnyFlash got a huge amount of dick and ball skin caught in his zip fly while in a rush to head back out to see a band play in McGonagle's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Alun wrote: »
    Make pants?

thats the solution OP, you don't like it, let's see you do better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I much prefer button fly to zip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,597 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I think some of the AH ladies should give their opinions them. Easier or not ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Reppohc

Fore skin hugely at risk but helmet for the Jewish lads and those circumcised amongst us.....so maybe they were invented when some well heeled Jewish guy got his helmet ripped apart by a zipper...?

Well Levi Strauss is about as Jewish a name as can be found so there is that!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Buttons have been around for thousands of years, the zip arrives in the late 19th century, early jeans and trousers in general had buttons. The zip took over by the early 20th century in most applications, Levi's retained the buttons in their 501 line, but that wasn't a big seller until the mid 80's when they relaunched them as "authentic" including the buttons and quadrupled the price.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Why don’t you just buy trousers that have been designed with your preference of fly included. Surely handy enough thing to overcome?

My preference is for a button fly. This follows a very nasty incident many years ago where a dangerously drunk young JohnnyFlash got a huge amount of dick and ball skin caught in his zip fly while in a rush to head back out to see a band play in McGonagle's.

It’s not that easy find zip pants. There appears to be less and less of then in the shops.....with the myriad of styles (slim, skinny, regular, boot cut to name a few ) you can get pants in a particular style that fit like a glove but not available with a zipper......!!

It’s not that easy find zip pants. There appears to be less and less of then in the shops.....with the myriad of styles (slim, skinny, regular, boot cut to name a few ) you can get pants in a particular style that fit like a glove but not available with a zipper......!!

Try Gap.

Steer clear of the “bootcut”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

cjmc wrote: »
    I think some of the AH ladies should give their opinions them. Easier or not ?

Makes little difference to the ladies I would imagine....buttons have to be opened and pants and lady jocks have to be lowered, their might be a few micro seconds of a time difference as in the zipped version would be a tiny bit quicker.. they are not trying to negotiate a route for a sausage like shape attached to their body firstly through the slot in the jocks and then through the holes of the pants having opened one or two buttons depending on the diameter of the sausage in question..in the no 2 department it makes no odds for males or females with regard to zip or buttons

Try Gap.

Steer clear of the “bootcut”.

Does anyone wear ‘boot cut’ anymore....? And what was their distinctive feature v other styles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Does anyone wear ‘boot cut’ anymore....? And what was their distinctive feature v other styles

Still very popular in country towns and amongst lads in their 30’s and 40’s who didn’t get the memo that the 90’s is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

Was once in a pub toilet having a slash at the urinal when an old pissed bloke beside me looked over and just blurted out '****ing hell! He looked shocked and left quickly.

Back in the bar over the evening I was feeling self conscious as more people were looking at me than usual. Eventually one of my mates came back from the bar where a lass had asked him if it was true that I had a donkey cock.

I'm not particularly well endowed so realised he had looked across and seen my belt hanging because of my button fly jeans. It was my local and from that day on people used to give me a respectful nod when they saw me.

So, button fly jeans have me a small claim to unjustified fame for a little while.

This follows a very nasty incident many years ago where a dangerously drunk young JohnnyFlash got a huge amount of dick and ball skin caught in his zip fly while in a rush to head back out to see a band play in McGonagle's.
    Self-compliments are no compliments, John

Still very popular in country towns and amongst lads in their 30’s and 40’s who didn’t get the memo that the 90’s is over.

They’re all over Dublin too, J.

Muffin topped lads huffing and puffing around all red faced with a pair of “converse” on their feet.

It’s a terrible “look” for grown men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Button fly is great.

wonder does it work the same for the ladies, do they ever clip a wing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,409 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Wibbs wrote: »
    Buttons have been around for thousands of years, the zip arrives in the late 19th century, early jeans and trousers in general had buttons. The zip took over by the early 20th century in most applications, Levi's retained the buttons in their 501 line, but that wasn't a big seller until the mid 80's when they relaunched them as "authentic" including the buttons and quadrupled the price.

It surprises me that they only found their present functional use so recently.

Functional buttons with buttonholes for fastening or closing clothes appeared first in Germany in the 13th century. They soon became widespread with the rise of snug-fitting garments in 13th- and 14th-century Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Anyone complaining about button flies are most likely incontinent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Their distinctive feature is simply that they go over boots, unlike straight leg jeans which don’t. I still wear bootleg when I’m wearing boots, and I’ll probably be crucified for saying it but stretch denim is the material of the gods :pac:

As for zipper or button fly, I’d imagine button fly are more practical in the sense that they’re less fidgety, fcukall to do with catching the tip of your foreskin in zippers, never happened to me once, but plenty of times I’ve burst the zips when well, things got a bit cramped down there and there was nowhere else for it to go! At least with button fly you can button it back up.

Nowadays the quality just isn’t in the brand names like Levi’s to make them worth paying upwards of €100 for. I was watching the news the other night going on about the cost of buying jeans in the UK, and they were showing prices for €200 jeans! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Levis 501 where the first ones I came across in the 80s. Massive advertising campaign. Hunky man stripping off to his boxers in the laundry. Great soundtrack. I bought into the hype and got a pair. Wore them half a dozen times and went back to Wrangler zipped fly. Not practical at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

button fly are safer for the mickey..at least you don't get the zipper sting

and also you don't have the embarrassment of a dropped fly either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Bring back the crotch rivet.

Advertisement