Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are a lot of young adults more buff than a decade ago?

• 06-09-2019 3:44pm

In a big backpacker area for a couple of days and there are loads of young people around and I've been drinking and chatting with some.

Having just started the gym again recently for the first time in a decade, I've noticed a lot of young guys who are really obviously gym-goers.

I don't remember this being a thing at all when I was 20. I haven't been in Ireland in nine years so maybe it's different there?

no homo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

no homo

Phew. For a minute there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes huge change in culture with the amount of people lifting weights. Its great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Large shift in culture into healthier eating, gym, personal fitness etc. Maybe social media has had an impact. Either way, great to see lots of healthy people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Young people?? I don't know about that, but I lift bra.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Young people?? I don't know about that, but I lift bra.

I'd say you have to wear a bra:P

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think it's really good. It leads to better lifestyle choices. Bit hard to catch up, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'd say you have to wear a bra:P

Only when she gets the Cat o' Nine Tails out, mind. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

For every person going to the gym, there are three people who've ballooned.

We're turning into America with the extremes, fat lumps interspersed with a few fitness freaks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm sure to some extent the increase in physical health is being paid for by a decrease in mental health.. at least exercise is good for your mental health too so it could be worse, but still, a lot of the modern trend isn't just about exercise but about looking good in certain ways so you can be told you look good on social media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Lots of young men taking illegal, or banned, supplements and steroids. Most without any clue of the “consequences”.

Gyms turning a “blind eye” doesn’t help.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The average person is fatter than ever, but those who are gym goers are much fitter than gym goers of the past. There is a widening gap between the average fit person and the average person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I'm sure to some extent the increase in physical health is being paid for by a decrease in mental health.. at least exercise is good for your mental health too so it could be worse, but still, a lot of the modern trend isn't just about exercise but about looking good in certain ways so you can be told you look good on social media

Exercise is brilliant for your mental health.

Overall its much better. Yes, its too much about how you look but some people get into it for how you look and stay in it because they enjoy it or makes them feel better, sleep better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It's great that so many more young people are trying to get into good shape, but an unfortunate side effect is that a minority of them take performance enhancing drugs.

More people should really be made aware that the vast, vast majority of Instagram "fitspo" people abuse steroids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

I think that young (15-25) men in Ireland are noticeably taller than 15 years ago. Also fitness was not as popular 15 years ago as it is now.

Maybe it's stuff like Tinder. Never used it but I guess first impressions based on looks matter more nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

There's a theory that social media has a lot to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Lots of young men taking illegal, or banned, supplements and steroids. Most without any clue of the “consequences”.

Gyms turning a “blind eye” doesn’t help.

Most are taking the legal oral ones

Sarms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Exercise is brilliant for your mental health.

Overall its much better. Yes, its too much about how you look but some people get into it for how you look and stay in it because they enjoy it or makes them feel better, sleep better.

Agreed. Exercise also helps cultivate discipline and this holistically integrates itself into the rest of your life.
    Woke Hogan wrote: »
    It's great that so many more young people are trying to get into good shape, but an unfortunate side effect is that a minority of them take performance enhancing drugs.

More people should really be made aware that the vast, vast majority of Instagram "fitspo" people abuse steroids.

I don't think very many people abuse illegal drugs at all. Lots of people might use protein power or creatine but generally my observations of the culture around us is that most would be sceptical of illicit steroids etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Big Brother + Love Island = ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

scan_gran_main.jpg

Oooooooh young maaaan !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

I don't think very many people abuse illegal drugs at all. Lots of people might use protein power or creatine but generally my observations of the culture around us is that most would be sceptical of illicit steroids etc.

There are masses fo 'fake natties' on Instagram and YouTube, many offfering noob traps. Beware.

Real lift - I'm sure there are those who are juicing but not so many as you think, you still get that thrown about if you're in anyway descent shape though: must be on steroids. :rolleyes:

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I find a lot of heavy gym goers might be able to lift a lot in the gym, but are hopeless at doing physical work where you need to utilise certain techniques when lifting.

The supplements and energy drinks are trash too.

Corvo wrote: »
    Large shift in culture into healthier eating, gym, personal fitness etc. Maybe social media has had an impact. Either way, great to see lots of healthy people.

I think the GAA has played a huge part in this. Even at club level, the demands on both men and women to be physically conditioned is greater these times.

When you consider the participation numbers all over the island, it points to strong correlation.

Balanadan wrote: »
    I find a lot of heavy gym goers might be able to lift a lot in the gym, but are hopeless at doing physical work where you need to utilise certain techniques when lifting.
    If you can lift heavy then you can lift heavy, technique can be taught and learnt, if you're stronger then you're capable of more work.

Fairly on the button, most are mis-sold implying dramatic 'gainz' if you take them, leaving out the years of hard work also involved.

"New figures from the Central Statistics Office (CSO) show that more of the population is overweight and binge-drink on a regular basis as incomes have risen over recent years.

Almost two-thirds of the population (62pc) were overweight or obese in 2017, compared with 60pc in 2015.

And 39pc of those aged 15 years and older binge-drink on a regular basis, consuming more than three pints or six pub measures of spirits in one sitting. This compares with 37pc in 2016."

So we're getting fatter and fatter, year by year, yet somehow...

I think the GAA has played a huge part in this. Even at club level, the demands on both men and women to be physically conditioned is greater these times.

When you consider the participation numbers all over the island, it points to strong correlation.

I don't, I'd give more credit to the likes of youtube etc for spreading the knowledge of how to get fit/look fit etc, there's also a massive swing away from pub culture here now as compared to before.

The GAA has benefited from this, all you have to do is look at the condition of the Dublin team, it has filtered down from the top but it was't the game that brought the conditioning to the players, more the players to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

lifting things of different shapes requires different techniques and some experience with it too.....like who'd have thought it...duh

As for supplement...you are talking through your hoop...

As for supplement...you are talking through your hoop...

Ah, he's not, most supps are utter trash and offer no benefit, how many ads for 'fat burners' have you seen????

For 'normal' human beings protein, multi vitamins and creatine are as much as you'll ever need, fit or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

In a big backpacker

oh-matron.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

bladespin wrote: »
    If you can lift heavy then you can lift heavy, technique can be taught and learnt, if you're stronger then you're capable of more work.

Fairly on the button, most are mis-sold implying dramatic 'gainz' if you take them, leaving out the years of hard work also involved.

I dunno, some people are hopeless. You'd see some guys able to lift more than someone twice as strong as them because they use the correct technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yeah, I think it's really good. It leads to better lifestyle choices. Bit hard to catch up, though.

Until 2016 and a major health fûck up I’d never seen the inside of a gym.... now that I’ve been using the gym as a means of rehabilitation so technically I’ve been ‘catching up’ from a bit of an overweight, stressed, out of shape guy to being fit, healthy and well on the road to a complete recovery which going by the initial prognosis... well let’s say that wasn’t thought possible...

From going there I’ve met people from the age of about 20, to 83. The 83 year old was telling me he often goes for a run... I’d seen him walking briskly on the treadmill and the guy looks in seriously brilliant shape.. but it wasn’t until driving a couple of weeks ago through the Phoenix Park and there he is, running at a rate of knots... and it just in your case Ads, or anyone... it’s NEVER TOO LATE, forget catch up...do it, join, it will be the best thing you’ve done, for health, fitness and it’s mega fun too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Agreed. Exercise also helps cultivate discipline and this holistically integrates itself into the rest of your life.

You are being incredibly naive.

victor8600 wrote: »
    I think that young (15-25) men in Ireland are noticeably taller than 15 years ago. Also fitness was not as popular 15 years ago as it is now.

Remember that double leg amputation you had 15 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

bladespin wrote: »

I've also noticed that Protein is the new 'healthy' ingredient for stuff, every coffee station in shops has a rack of protein bars of various shapes and sizes.

was in aldi the other day, and they had everything from protein bars to crisps with protein added (yuck).

All these yolks still have mad high calories, so its no wonder people still pile on weight.
    Actual education about nutrition is shockingly poor, and it doesn't help that most foodstuffs seem to be deliberately labelled in such a way that make it seem low calorie - as in, 110 calories per 25g portion, when most people will consume 6 'portions' in a single sitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

There have been regular sting operations where they intercept the post coming into the country

It’s unbelievable the amount coming through

Here’s a good link

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/warning-as-number-of-steroids-seized-surges-300-464620.html

I’d say parcel motel etc gets its fair share through also

• Advertisement

Millons of ad for fat burners
    But fat burners are a small proportion of supplements
    Some pre workouts arent great (ill admit) esp the really hi stimulant ones but most are ok..not essential but not trash.

You forgot vit d, fish oil and i'd include zma there too (never met anybody who didnt benefit from it)...so there are plenty that arent trash...

And you forgot that most if not all multi vitamins are useless...opps...

I guess here we are.... two internet heroes facing off in a pissing contest over who is best.....the excitement ....

Hmmm, whatever you think yourself there, but the first rule will always be sort your diet out - if that's on point then supps are just add-ons, not necessities, you may lol but yes, I do top up on ZMA and Vit D and Iron but doubt I'd fade away without them.

That said the vast majority of supps that are being 'marketed' especially at 'young adults' are utter scutter and aren't worth the label on the bottle, lots and lots of magic pills; very expensive magic pills about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

beejee wrote: »
    And 39pc of those aged 15 years and older binge-drink on a regular basis, consuming more than three pints or six pub measures of spirits in one sitting. ...

Wait.. What?

Three pints is a binge now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

OSI wrote: »
    I find with a lot of them they're making equally poor lifestyle choices just with a vainer twist. Far too many lads hitting up the steroids and other "enhancers".

Anyone who voluntarily takes any kind of non-essential steroid needs their head examined.

I personally know someone who has got very muscly very fast. Makes me wonder.

Panrich wrote: »
    Wait.. What?

Three pints is a binge now?

In one sitting, if you get up for a piss after every two yer grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭interactive

Internet is the reason.
    1, narcissists post constantly for approval, so you see it more often
    2, Steroids can be bough online easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Corvo wrote: »

No doubt. A rise in narcissism has also helped, image is everything for a lot of people nowadays.

It is of course a good thing as long as people are doing it in a healthy manner, that doesn't lead to steroid abuse, eating disorders, depression about body image, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

More muscular people in Ireland nowadays yes but still, more than 1 in 2 irish people are overweight

wakka12 wrote: »
    More muscular people in Ireland nowadays yes but still, more than 1 in 2 irish people are overweight

Do the stats differentiate between Fat overweight and Muscle overweight.
    You can be "overweight" and ripped with muscle, are these people lumped in with the lard asses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You can be "overweight" and ripped with muscle, are these people lumped in with the lard asses?
    I would imagine its calculated by body fat percentage, as BMI is very outdated. Anyway the World health organisation of all places is not going to accidentally have muscular people mixed up in their obesity statistics I think we can safely assume
    http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/noncommunicable-diseases/obesity/data-and-statistics

wakka12 wrote: »
    I would imagine its calculated by body fat percentage, as BMI is very outdated. Anyway the World health organisation of all places is not going to accidentally have muscular people mixed up in their obesity statistics I think we can safely assume
    http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/noncommunicable-diseases/obesity/data-and-statistics

The WHO delisted transexuals as a mental illness the same week they listed paying video games as a mental illness.
    make your own mind up

The WHO delisted transexuals as a mental illness the same week they listed paying video games as a mental illness.
    make your own mind up

That Roger Daltry fella shooting his mouth off again..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No, if you take a walk around any town centre, shopping centre etc, you'll see a large number of people who are simply fat. Nothing to do with muscle mass, just blubber. Too much of it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    No, if you take a walk around any town centre, shopping centre etc, you'll see a large number of people who are simply fat. Nothing to do with muscle mass, just blubber. Too much of it.

We are becoming more and more like the US, you’re either fit or fat, the middle ground is disappearing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Overweight is overweight. It doesn't matter what it's made up of.

Bevere60 wrote: »
    It's not really, the majority of people are mildly overweight.

It is though, not quite at the morbidly obese stages but there’s definitely 2 noticeable body types about these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement