Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to sell artwork in Ireland?

Options
  • 30-06-2019 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I need some help and advice.

I am an artist, I make traditional artwork with watercolour, pencils etc and I've been uploading my work to social media sites like Facebook and Instagram but don't really get much interest beside a like here and there, but no one interested in buying prints, or original work.

So, is there any places, craft fairs, art fairs or events that I could apply to display my work to sell and try make a living from this? If anyone has a good list of places I can apply to, that would be really helpful as well, so I can contact these places about displaying my art.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 38 brigidcooley75

I've heard of the Merrion and Stephen's Green ones, but I'm wondering if theirs places all over the country as well, so I have a variety to choose from, so its not just in Dublin, as that would make it easier also.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I've heard of the Merrion and Stephen's Green ones, but I'm wondering if theirs places all over the country as well, so I have a variety to choose from, so its not just in Dublin, as that would make it easier also.

Have a look here...

http://www.mast.ie/what_s_on.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-HoBRD5ARIsAPIPencgmA3kzQcEpzlZWUWnl0qkGbpoa6Nh7U3qnwXHG5yXeRZ1ixPVky8aAppNEALw_wcB

and here for guidelines

http://www.mast.ie/Market-Traders-Handbook-2.pdf

All the events will have stalls selling a wide range. I was with MAST for over a decade; great folk

Also many towns now have a regular weekly market and allow crafts...

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 38 brigidcooley75

Thanks I'll contact them and ask them for further information!!

Graces7 wrote: »

New Home; forgive please if this is already done, but could these 2 references be stored to use? Seems we get a fair number of queries re trading and markets, and that handbook from MAST is brilliant. Details all the requirements etc i an easy format. market trading has got more rules etc since I started,

Just a thought... thank you!

• Advertisement

Thanks I'll contact them and ask them for further information!!

The handbook is excellent, as is the listing,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Graces7 wrote: »
    New Home; forgive please if this is already done, but could these 2 references be stored to use? Seems we get a fair number of queries re trading and markets, and that handbook from MAST is brilliant. Details all the requirements etc i an easy format. market trading has got more rules etc since I started,

Just a thought... thank you!

Will do, as soon as I get a chance to use a proper keyboard. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Apologies for hijacking the thread but on the subject of the Stephen's Green site, does anyone know how much the paintings go for or what the process of purchasing one is? Does a buyer have to make an offer or will the artist have a set price for the painting? Have my eye on two small paintings that I'd love to buy. Wouldn't have a clue what to offer and I don't want to offend the lady by making an offer that's too low, if it comes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Have you tried selling stuff on etsy OP?

Also, you could setup your own website using something like squarespace?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I've seen cafés and restaurants that have artwork from local artists displayed on their walls with a discreet price tag attached.

Call into a few places in your local area; if they don't do it currently, you might be able to convince them (it's a good deal for them - they get some decoration for free, you could get a few sales from it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Berserker wrote: »
    Apologies for hijacking the thread but on the subject of the Stephen's Green site, does anyone know how much the paintings go for or what the process of purchasing one is? Does a buyer have to make an offer or will the artist have a set price for the painting? Have my eye on two small paintings that I'd love to buy. Wouldn't have a clue what to offer and I don't want to offend the lady by making an offer that's too low, if it comes to that.

They'll have prices for all work on display as it's probably something they're asked regularly.

You can decide to respond immediately with a counter offer or agreement or ask them if they are open to negotiation.

In terms of price. Art (and crafts) is very subjective in terms of value. I have felt (personal experience) that by gauging the number of hours in a piece and using a figure like 20, 30 or 40 euro per hour (depending on uniqueness and quality) I can be in the ball park and then I'm generally neither overly surprised nor insulting.

Talk to an artist whose work you are less interested in purchasing to gain experience if the process.

Fwiw, if there's a piece of art that really catches your eye, it's worth paying for the value it gives you aside from whether or not you feel it is expensive or not. Or whether others might think it is expensive. My first piece of original art cost me a weeks wages but I was drawn to go and look at it in a gallery window 5 or 6 times over a few weeks before I decided to go for it.
    It's still my favorite piece.

I spotted this on one of the papers yesterday:

490405.jpg

Advertisement