Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Speaking Training

Options
  • 06-05-2015 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I have a fear of public speaking that up until recently has not impacted my life since I rarely had to speak to a big crowd. Now with a new job I will be expected to present in a couple of months time, the idea of which has me terrified.

Can anyone recommend a good training course that will help me overcome this once and for all. Preferably feedback from people who have attended such course with positive results.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kaloshma

I recommed you stick to reading self help books on the topic, or find a ladies man in your social circle to tip you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

TV programme on RTE tonight all about public speaking, can't remember the name though. Otherwise some people will recommend Toastmasters who have branches all over, but I myself wasn't attracted to them. Will be watching the programme though to see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Don't have rte, is it on player? Don't use that, tried before but just didn't work.

I'd say it will be on player all right but don't know how long they take to go up. Google public speaker and the area you live and see if anything suitable turns up. I found these in Dublin but there are more out there. Good luck.

http://speechdramadublin.com/public-speaking/
    http://flyingturtleproductions.com/drama-school/adult-courses/public-speaking-for-non-actors/
    http://www.russellacademy.ie/

I feel stupid, just checked that programme, its on Sunday night, not tonight. Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

There's a good course called Presenting to Sell by Emma Ledden

• Registered Users Posts: 32 grangegorman

Hi Dudwell,

I am in a similar situation as yourself with a new job and new responsibilities. We have a staff meetings every two weeks in which I have to update the CEO along with 25 other work colleagues. These meetings cause me to lose sleep over the weekend knowing I have them on a Monday morning and completley absorb my mind when I should be enjoying my time off. This has put me in a very vulnerable position as I really want to quit the job because of these meetings and other reporting duties to third parties. I do really enjoy my work other than these group meetings and hope to overcome the anxiety with practice.

In college I skipped every presentation and even when I'm asked to introduce myself in groups as small as 4 people my voice starts to tremor. I have tried to skip as many staff meetings as possible due to these panic attacks and embarrassing situations. Once I had an interview with Central Bank and the feed back I got was that I had behavioural issues because I got so choked up with fear. (there were 3 people on the interview panel).

I suffer with essential tremor which affects my hands and voice with a tremor when put in uncomfortable situations. I have tried councelling, hypno therapy and beta-blocker medication which have not helped me overcome this condition. By now, I have spent thousands of euros trying to treat the condition but I really think the only solution is to practice and with time it will lessen the anxiety.

I'm not a shy person and most of my friends would never expect that I suffer from any anxiety. I have been looking into joining toastmasters or some other group that I can gradually improve speaking in front of people. I would love to find a few people that are in a similar situation and maybe help each other with improving our speaking skills and then maybe progressing to toast masters. (If this is something anyone is interested in please respond to this thread). I work at the new DIT college campus at Grangegorman D7 and could organise a room for holding small group meetings in the evening. Completley free of charge with tea/coffee/parking .

By the way, I'm a 34yrs old male working as an Engineer and in a relationship (not that that matters but just to be transparent and open). I'm purely interested in helping myself and others with a fear of public speaking or social phobia.

I am open to meet up with anyone to discuss/chat/help in anyway or at any location.

Thanks,
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭patspost

Toastmasters could be the thing for you allright. I'm sure there are many groups around Dublin. A lot of them may be finished up till Sept, but have a look on the net. There are plenty of TM resources on the net to give you a feel for it.

TM will give you a platform to speak & improve your public speaking, but you will have to make the effort. If you join, aim to do a Table Topic within a night or two, to get value for your membership, you have to get up & talk.

You may feel dread & fear before you speak, but a good sense of relief afterwards. There is no point of joining to spend all your time in a state fear for a few months till you speak. Try and speak early on in the game.

There are many people like yourself that attend TM to get over their fear of public speaking. Give it a go, you wont regret it I am confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

Hi Dudwell,

I am in a similar situation as yourself with a new job and new responsibilities. We have a staff meetings every two weeks in which I have to update the CEO along with 25 other work colleagues. These meetings cause me to lose sleep over the weekend knowing I have them on a Monday morning and completley absorb my mind when I should be enjoying my time off. This has put me in a very vulnerable position as I really want to quit the job because of these meetings and other reporting duties to third parties. I do really enjoy my work other than these group meetings and hope to overcome the anxiety with practice.

In college I skipped every presentation and even when I'm asked to introduce myself in groups as small as 4 people my voice starts to tremor. I have tried to skip as many staff meetings as possible due to these panic attacks and embarrassing situations. Once I had an interview with Central Bank and the feed back I got was that I had behavioural issues because I got so choked up with fear. (there were 3 people on the interview panel).

I suffer with essential tremor which affects my hands and voice with a tremor when put in uncomfortable situations. I have tried councelling, hypno therapy and beta-blocker medication which have not helped me overcome this condition. By now, I have spent thousands of euros trying to treat the condition but I really think the only solution is to practice and with time it will lessen the anxiety.

I'm not a shy person and most of my friends would never expect that I suffer from any anxiety. I have been looking into joining toastmasters or some other group that I can gradually improve speaking in front of people. I would love to find a few people that are in a similar situation and maybe help each other with improving our speaking skills and then maybe progressing to toast masters. (If this is something anyone is interested in please respond to this thread). I work at the new DIT college campus at Grangegorman D7 and could organise a room for holding small group meetings in the evening. Completley free of charge with tea/coffee/parking .

By the way, I'm a 34yrs old male working as an Engineer and in a relationship (not that that matters but just to be transparent and open). I'm purely interested in helping myself and others with a fear of public speaking or social phobia.

I am open to meet up with anyone to discuss/chat/help in anyway or at any location.

Thanks,
    James

Hi I would have a similar predictament when public speaking I would be interested in getting together to participate in a group of it gets going

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nini

Hi,

I'm a 33 year old, living in Dublin and I have exactly the same problem. Reading your story is like reading my own...tremors, avoidance, feeling like I need to quit my job. I'm wondering if you have set up a group? I'd love to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Toastmasters...........

• Registered Users Posts: 32 grangegorman

nini wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a 33 year old, living in Dublin and I have exactly the same problem. Reading your story is like reading my own...tremors, avoidance, feeling like I need to quit my job. I'm wondering if you have set up a group? I'd love to get involved.

Hi Nini,

Just wondering if you are still interested in having a group session. Please PM me with your number and we can chat to see if a similar minded group session would interest you.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Thirding toastmasters.
    Simple straightforward structure that takes you through ten speeches each one focusing on a different aspect of speaking.
    Friendly and supportive atmosphere.
    Constructive feedback given after every speech.
    Speaking is also a skill that needs maintenance. A short course now won't make a damn bit of difference in a years time if you don't speak regularly.
    Toastmasters gives you that chance.

Each club is a bit different so once they start back in September stop by a few and pick one you like the feel of.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I'm interested in joining Toastmasters. Can I just pick a group and turn up to see what it's like, or do I need to contact them for permission first?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Generally contact them first to make sure a meeting is happening the night you plan to go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As someone else said, try a few if you can as the 'vibe' is different in each. I think Toastmasters has a lot going for it, though I did not attend for long. I realised I did not really have a great deal of a problem with public speaking. I thought I did, but it was fairly obvious that I did not.

My problem with Toastmasters as I experienced it is the American-ness of it. It is greatly toned down here, while using the general method of Toastmasters. Still there is a sense that it is not Irish or even European in approach. I think there is room for a local variation of the idea. I also think it could be done a great deal more inexpensively and the whole 'top level' layer of national speaking competitions could be dispensed with if all you want to do is gain confidence.

I tried TM for a short while but dropped out. Totally disliked the titles used, this-Master and that-Master. It seemed archaic, and as Looksee said, very Americanised. We Irish love to talk and some clubs charge €200, but even a €150 club is too expensive for me. And they say talk is cheap! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Was going to join T but balked for same reason - too costly for me atm as I'm broke. Went through all this 25 years ago and came out on the right side. Now enjoy public speaking but don't get much chance - that was reason I considered joining Toastmasters recently. I did a ten night course with a guy called ?Frank Murphy in Dublin. Had to drive round trip of 150 miles, getting home around midnight each time. Was scared .hitless first time and after that couldn't wait for the next night. Was among the five best things I ever did.
    If I can help anyone out there, obviously for free, just let me know.
    How did all the contributors here get on since? Public speaking is one of the biggest challenges for most people but if I could do it anyone can!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

Hey,

i took a personal development course with S.H.E.P and in it i realized my fear of public speaking came from my time in school as i was often humiliated by a teacher in front of my class for two years, as i was dyslectic and it went diagnosed. Knowing This helped me heal this fear, you can then go on to complete a Group Facilitation Course again with S.H.E.P which explores why you fear public speaking even further, and they then train you how to deliver speeches and group facilitation/presentations.

Advertisement