Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat second year engineering?

Options
  • 07-09-2014 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Okay, so I failed 2nd year mechanical engineering in summer. My parent's don't have much money, just barely enough to pay for the repeat fee (2000) and my rent for the year. If I go back I have to get a weekend job to pay for all the other stuff I need (food, bills etc).

The thing is, I hated last year. I find engineering interesting, but I also found it very hard to go in and sit through the lectures.

The decision I have to make isn't whether or not to drop out, but whether or not I should take a year out, and start second year again in September 2015.

If I take a gap year, I can get a job for the year, but then will have to pay all the 2000 and all my rent from the money I get there. (So about 340 hours of construction work for nothing). But I will have excess money for next year if I work all year. I will have to live at home though which will get extremely depressing eventually. I don't know anyone really, so I'll spend the year here alone (no parties, no going out). One positive thing is that I will be able to properly work on music and writing, which I have always wanted to do. But I will go back to college two years behind (One form repeating, one from the gap year).

If I go back this year, I will be basically living off my (far from rich) Dad's pocket, which will be horrible, and I'll be working 16 hours each weekend. I will be finished my course a year earlier though. I won't be able to do music or writing properly, and there is a chance I might go back and hate the year again, and not be able to study or pass the year (which would really be agonizing). There are also some opportunities there (some girls that I like that I could get to know) if I go back this year that won't be there if I take a year out. I also didn't know anyone in college last year, so this could be seen as a new chance to get to know people (or another attack on my social self-esteem).

Can somebody please advise me on which route to take? Just give me good reasons why I should do whichever one, let me see something about one of the options that I didn't already realize and you will be helping me greatly. This decision is killing me.

Oh, and I have one day to decide, my course starts on Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thepikminman

Oh and just to be clear, that whole girl opportunity this is more of a big deal than I expressed above. There are a few girls I have been talking to over the phone all summer that I really like who are eager to meet up when college starts, but if I take a year off the chance will be gone.

Also, this may seem insignificant, but I went to the gym most days this summer, and if I go back to college, I won't be able to afford a gym membership, so that will have all been for nothing. If I take a gap year, I will have a whole extra year to work out, and will start 2nd year in 2015 in perfect shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Chocolate Chip

I don't know how you will stick it if you hate it. Lots of people do courses and change their mind, if you hate the course don't continue just to pick up women, that is a real short term view. If you are in a band you will have loads of women and you might actually enjoy the rest of your life!

Advertisement