Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tv character freaked you out as a kid?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

****ing Emu gave me nightmares as a kid, that damn thing haunts my nights, still.:mad:

hull.jpg

The horror, the horror....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Enderol wrote: »
    worzel gummidge!

I mean what kind of sick F*** decides that a scarecrow who comes to life has to rip his own head off and replace it with another to have different modes.

I can't see scarecrows with out being freaked out.

scarred for life!

I always wondered how he operated in headless mode. Maybe he had some kind of scare-crow BIOS that instructed his body to "locate head" or something

Scariest characters for me were Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street, well Bert in particular. I just vaguely remember one episode where Ernie had gone to bed and Bert was going to play some kind of practical joke on him (something to do with Ernie being afraid of monsters maybe).
    Anyway Bert with his evil pointy head and big eyebrow waiting to pounce on poor Ernie just terrified me.
    Probably not what the creators of Sesame Street intended but I was only five or six at the time ..

Blake's Seven also scared me as a kid - I though this was that the future was going to be like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

****ing Emu gave me nightmares as a kid, that damn thing haunts my nights, still.:mad:

hull.jpg

The horror, the horror....

Yea Emu was an evil bastard; probably responsible for Rod falling off the roof as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My mother thought he was real....like a living creature, honest to fcuk, she really did:D!! We were watching him on 'Parkinson' and she was horrified at this wild untamed creature attacking poor Parky:o.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

From the muppet show
    -Pigs in Space , (chopping up people !)
    -Those 2 old guys who would be critising everything.

-When the lion was killed in the kids story with the wardrobe in it.
    -Daleks
    -That cartoon about dungeons and dragons , the evil guy in that.

All Freaked me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Evil Edna from Willo the Wisp.

evil-edna.jpg

Oh my god I had totally forgotten this show - the picture brings back a vague memory and I remember the name Evil Edna - weird!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

never watch men behaving badly so

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

kermet the frog from de muppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

hairymick wrote: »
    The Incredible Hulk used to scare the bejasus out of me as a child.I couldent get past the opening credits where he starts transforming and his eyes turn green.

The Hulk terrified me (still does), the theme music scared the living daylights out of me. I was so traumatised by the programme that I couldnt even go to see the two recent movies in the cinema and I havent watched them on DVD or TV either. I believe I haven't missed anything though ;o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Ven-ger was the evil guy from 'Dungeons and Dragons'. I remember a TV series based on Planet of the Apes. That killed me, I thought it was a real place and you could end up there if you had a plane crash or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Dolorous wrote: »
    Rimini Riddle used to freak me out, and no-one remembers it! Behold...

Leo-Rimini-Riddle_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rory-Vera-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rimini-Riddle-TV-puppets_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rory-Leo-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

There was an evil puppet thing called Otto in the series, he used to scare the tar outta me. So did Podge when he appeared on the Den first, "Oh Reaaaaaly Raymond?" Aghhh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Got to be The Original Hulk.

hulk_bill_bixby.jpg

He scared the **** outta me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭laura l

The Greatest American Hero

GreatestAmericanHero.jpg

He frightened the sugar out of me. As soon as i heard "Believe it or not i'm walking on air" coming from the TV as a small kid, i was out out of there. i was absolutely convinced he could fly out of the TV if he wanted to. i don't think the lame graphics would fool a kid as easily today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBKqwdxUH8U&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Podge on the Den. Trying to corrupt poor Zig. Frightened the life out of me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Den_M wrote: »
    There was an evil puppet thing called Otto in the series, he used to scare the tar outta me. :(

Yea, what was that thing? Was it good or bad? And what was the whole story all about? Any links people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

The Hulk

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Yea, what was that thing? Was it good or bad? And what was the whole story all about? Any links people?

Everything I remember, having been a fan, though I was far too old to be watching:

There were 3 kids, Ellen, Rory and Leo. They lived in the Rimini guesthouse, which was run by their cranky Aunt Vera. There was a picture in the house of 2 little girls at the beach, and the children I think were able to pass through the picture and talk to the girls. (One of which was played by Nicola from Fair City, with drawn on freckles like June wotsername).
    This is where it got weird, because the picture was a portal to a kind of different world, inhabited by people who had drowned in the real world. The 3 children went there to try find their parents, who it transpired had died by drowning.
    Otto, who a couple of people have said was scary, was Leo's (the youngest child's) stuffed toy, who came to life. He was from yet another parallel universe, and had an evil twin brother (Flick?) who tried to destroy him. Otto and Flick answered to some even weirder creatures called the Mommos, who were like their Elders or something.
    That guy in the picture there was was called Quentin, and he was a con artist who wanted to marry Aunt Vera and take the guest house.
    The children also had friends called Una Brophy, and Jimmy Doran, who was never seen. That's all I can think of right now; starting to realise how bloody weird it was for children to watch! I think it started off on that "Salty Frog" programme with Pajo, but got moved to its own slot on the Den during the week and was repeated on Sundays as an omnibus, so it must have been a cult success

Basically Twin Peaks for children
    for the record, it was the witch from Into The Labyrinth who scared me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

That Kit Kat ad that featured the devil and an angel meeting for a lunch break used to freak out my grannie's neighbour.She thought it was kind of blasphemous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 raoulduke1

for some strange reason my brother had a pathological fear of zorro - used to run screaming from the room when it came on on a saturday after the wrestling - i still chuckle thinking about it - am i cruel or nostalgic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Deedsie wrote: »
    Podge on the Den. Trying to corrupt poor Zig. Frightened the life out of me.

I remember that well Deedsie. He had a head like a cauliflower and a really creepy voice saying to Zig ..." I just want to be your friend".

A shame he morphed into the ****ebag he is today

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

this guy, maxheadroom from channel 4

maxheadroom1.jpg

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Worzel fecking Gummage..... He absolutely scarred me for life. I've never been able to look at a 'come to life' scarecrow on the tv since... There was a weetabix ad a while ago with a scarecrow (I think) and if it came on the channel was quickly changed.

Everything about that show freaked me out...How Mr.Gummage spoke, the theme music, the Aunt what's her face (doll who came to life?) *shudder*.

I was going to post a pic but when I googled it I couldn't stand to look at it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Not so much a character but Robert Stack from Unsolved Mysteries! To be honest it was the combination of his ice cold voice and the most unsettling theme music ever used on television!! Still scares the **** out of me :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcqWfGjGVZ0&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Mr Blobby
    Mr_Blobby.jpg
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I would imagine it's been said about a million times already but:

Stephen King's IT:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

the evil witch in snow white scared the ****e out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Mr Muscle.

I used to hide behind the couch when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

The Hulk wen I was about 4 years old. Had a dream that he walked by bedroom door around that time and it scared the crap outa me.

I remember my little sister was terrified of Worzel Gummage esp hhen he would take his head off.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

The chief from 'Half way across the galaxy and turn left' terrified me!

7:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0BhuuY7KM&NR=1

Also, Edward Scissor Hands..I thought he lived in my attic!

Advertisement