Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

"D-U-dash-T-E-R" (Du-ter Potato Spray)

"Dithane 945 - Spray with it, stay with it!" (Dithane 945 Poptato Spray)

"It's a quare name but great stuff!" (Cheno Unction ointment)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Remember those medieval themed Yoplait yogurt ads? The first one had these suiters seeking a kings daughters hand in marriage. I think they were presenting him with yougurt and when he'd taste it he'd angrilly pull a lever and the guy would fall down a trapdoor. There was another one with the line "dodgy, very suspect" and the king I think is poisoned by something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Remember those medieval themed Yoplait yogurt ads? The first one had these suiters seeking a kings daughters hand in marriage. I think they were presenting him with yougurt and when he'd taste it he'd angrilly pull a lever and the guy would fall down a trapdoor. There was another one with the line "dodgy, very suspect" and the king I think is poisoned by something.

The king was poisoned by an apple, and his food taster had suggested the apple. The taster was eating the yogurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Nice one! /\/\/\/\/.

I can't find the trapdoor one. It ended with the successful guy presenting the king with Petit Filous and he gets to marry his daughter but she turns out to be a big fat wan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

similar, but the fella in the ad i remember managed to drive home but not too disimilar. i'm actually questioning whether the ad ever existed and have looked everywhere. thanks for the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Does anyone remember the Irish ad for either Heinz or Batchelors, and it was a young girl and a boy, and the girl is making beans and asking the boy if he likes things, and the boy thinks he is getting the beans and in the end she hoodwinks him and says no chance?

I remember it well ; It was Batchelors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Here....Jimmy, I've made you some sandwiches...

JeanL wrote: »
    Here....Jimmy, I've made you some sandwiches...

He'll need the energy to send some rockers into the middle of next week!

• Advertisement

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the Irish ad for either Heinz or Batchelors, and it was a young girl and a boy, and the girl is making beans and asking the boy if he likes things, and the boy thinks he is getting the beans and in the end she hoodwinks him and says no chance?

Yes. The girl was black or mixed race which was unusual for an irish ad at the time (mid 90s?)

The 7up ads with Fido Dido, and he's just come back again.

Playtex Secrets

One weird thing I've noticed is British sitcom actors coming over and doing ads. Lost in Translation-style.
    Sometimes, they're riffing on their known image or doing it as themselves.
    Patrick Cargill - https://ifiplayer.ie/kosangas-demonstration-man/
    Frank "The Vicar of Dad's Army" Williams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QyuFhugzEs (David Kelly also did this campaign)

Buut other times, they got Brits to play Irish.
    Obviously, Vicki Michelle as Sally O'Brien. A friend was astonished that everyone presumed she was Irish, because although she hadn't yet done 'Allo 'Allo, she'd been doing numerous bit parts in various sketch shows and films, obviously perhaps not long enough to register, but she had had a regular role in Les Dawson's shows at that time.
    Another odd one is this ad - with Christopher Blake either dubbed or doing a creditable accent. Blake is one of those actors who though now forgotten, worked consistently. Best known for his turn as Mollie Sugden's titular biological son in That's My Boy, but he had turns in various Sunday Classics, was the lead in another popular-though-derided 'com, Mixed Blessings. But here he is advertising Carling for Ireland.

I wonder how many of these Irish ads were made in the UK. Sally O'Brien was done in Ardmore and in the Harbour Bar, but one ad features London-based Dublin actor Paul Antrim, who had roles in quite a few films, Man Who Would Be King, a turn as a sort of poor man's Fulton Mackay in Wild Geese 2, but I know him as IRA man Dermot in mental BBC Brummie-Pakistani pulp crime series Gangsters

And most of the voiceovers were done by Fergus O'Kelly alias Father Barty Dunne, the laughing priest, whose career has mostly been based in England, and mostly in radio. Only 6 TV/film credits over a forty year period.
    I think Kevin Flood, another Irish actor at the time in Britain did quite a few too.

Heres an unusual one. David Schneider in an ad for Winning Streak.

That Winning Streak one is a serious find - I remember it and know why David Schneider looked familiar when I first saw The Day Today in 1994.

Telecom Eireann (1999) Making new friends.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1355983399375294469

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

George Coulouris there, a long way from Citizen Kane
    NshIzBp.jpg
    Yer wan is a bit Lesley Manville-ish, but I'm not sure if it is her.

Was that milk advert made for the British or Irish market.?Have mentioned it in a couple of UK forums and no one seems familiar with it.

It was shown in Scotland, I believe.

Anyone recognise the two boyos in this, and/or the location?

• Advertisement

I always assumed that was a UK location as the bar was a UK wrapper - don’t recognise the actors either

branie2 wrote: »
    Playtex Secrets

The olde 18 hour girdle and it”s so comfortable you’ll forget you had it on? :D

Was that milk advert made for the British or Irish market.?Have mentioned it in a couple of UK forums and no one seems familiar with it.

It was a UK market add shown on ITV

Remember this animated one for Limara bodyspray? Pretty steamy even considering its a cartoon.

Nice find- that add was on quite a bit when it came out- completely forgot about it
    Why do adds for intimate women’s things always have screaming soundtracks, such as:
    Ooooohhh body form, body form for youuuu :D

The Yoplait ad I mentioned some while back is here at the 3:42 mark.

The judge looks very like William Mervyn (of Crown Court fame - The Hon. Mr Justice Campbell).

He died in 1976 though - ad must have been a few years old by time of broadcast

The Garda is also an English actor; very familiar - it'll come to me.

The judge looks very like William Mervyn (of Crown Court fame - The Hon. Mr Justice Campbell).

He died in 1976 though - ad must have been a few years old by time of broadcast

The Garda is also an English actor; very familiar - it'll come to me.

Norman Mitchell is the Guard - he pops up in a serious amount of 70s & 80s TV like Never The Twain, George & Mildred, Are You Being Served, Z Cars and often played a policeman in films.

Great detective work.

I thought it was Mervyn too, but again thought too late.
    But then same, with the Frankenstein ad. Coulouris died in 1989, and that ad was shown until the 90s.

Norman Mitchell I know best weirdly as Mrs. Slocombe's cowboy-hatted New Yorker uncle in one ep of Are You Being Served?, involving a wedding and Gorden Kaye as the best man of Slocombe's absent new Greek husband...

• Advertisement

Not a particularly old one, but it's like something from another era. Every single aspect of it is just hideous.

https://twitter.com/KillianM2/status/1359520725242163200

Advertisement