Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting family in Europe this summer?

Options
  • 02-03-2021 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Good evening ya'll. Just thought I'd open a thread for those with family in the EU and hoping to get home to visit this summer.

Lots of us haven't seen family in over a year, some were lucky enough to get home for a few weeks last year but many were not.

I am sure most of us will visit this year to see our family but what are your expectations? Do you expect us to be officially allowed or will we be discouraged?

How is your home nation expected to manage their summer plans as long as the 4th wave of Covid has subsided and inoculation levels increase?

I know in Croatia they are quite open with negative PCR acceptable and if a Green list returns no PCR needed. How about your nation.

I think we are all looking forward to seeing our loved ones this summer :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Will definitely be travelling this Summer over to the OH’s family for a month or so, planning to go in early July.
    It will be discouraged at the very least, no question, they’ve already said we ‘may’ be able to staycation this Summer 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Currently you will almost certainly get fined at Dublin airport. The gardai are lying in wait. Ireland is currently closed.

This will change and there will be a classic Irish fudge solution, where the Irish government removes the legal obstructions but sets a do no travel status on all countries and thus you cannot get travel insurance

I'm betting on September for things to see some degree of sanity, as the schools will be open etc, the number of people who could go on holiday will be limited.

Don't book anything, sit and wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Currently you will almost certainly get fined at Dublin airport. The gardai are lying in wait. Ireland is currently closed.

This will change and there will be a classic Irish fudge solution, where the Irish government removes the legal obstructions but sets a do no travel status on all countries and thus you cannot get travel insurance

I'm betting on September for things to see some degree of sanity, as the schools will be open etc, the number of people who could go on holiday will be limited.

Don't book anything, sit and wait

Think they’ll still be sitting at the airport in the middle of the Summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

colly10 wrote: »
    Think they’ll still be sitting at the airport in the middle of the Summer?

I was under the impression that the fines were lots linked to level 5 so they should be dropped when movement restrictions are. Either way I can't see the the fines remaining in summer. Everyone would go to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

In laws are Eastern European. We're not planning on travelling this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 david992

I understand you, last year we didn't travel anywhere and only talked to family on Skype. This summer we all want to go to the sea together because we miss everyone very much. I hope everything will work out.

VG31 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the fines were lots linked to level 5 so they should be dropped when movement restrictions are. Either way I can't see the the fines remaining in summer. Everyone would go to Belfast.

In theory international travel isn't happening until at least L3 and probably L2. Scare tactics will follow to discourage any travel.

The problem is the behaviour of a small number of people didn't follow the rules last year, most respected the rules but the data shows the bulk of cases in the end of 2020 came from Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

I'm planning to go home in early July and stay there for a couple of weeks and I hope Garda will stop hustling people at Dublin airport by then. Foreign travel will be highly discouraged here for sure, same as last year. You can see it now, most of European countries are talking and planning for travel re-opening for the summer, bringing tourist in, Ireland in the meantime is saying " you might be able to do staycation...". PCR negative test results or completed vaccination (both doses) will be expected in most countries, and that's what EU is suggesting for all members.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

VG31 wrote: »

They are linked to level 5, but sure the gov will try to come up with another thing once we are out of level 5. I hope they will get hard pushback from EU if they do

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Currently you will almost certainly get fined at Dublin airport. The gardai are lying in wait.

Are they also inside the Airport?

I went by motorbike last week to the airport to pick up a rental car in T2 and there was no checkpoint towards the T2 Parking Building. I did see them on the entry road to T1 and the drop off zone of T2.

• Advertisement

They have a booth setup just before the T2 security check, if that is staffed or not is a question. They are focusing on entry to the terminals.

The message is very clear, do not travel unless you meet the requirements laid down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Just back from the UK via Belfast, again no problems, the Brits dont seem to have as much scaremongering as we have here, and cases are rapidly dropping there too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

They have a booth setup just before the T2 security check, if that is staffed or not is a question. They are focusing on entry to the terminals.

The message is very clear, do not travel unless you meet the requirements laid down

surely when level 5 is over they cant justify having a constant garda presence in the airport,what an complete and utter waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

We have Landbridge booked for July 6th.
    We might delay it by up to another week if it meant we got vaccinated, but otherwise we'll just PCR our way across Europe.
    Returning in time for the start of school at the end of August by which time this will all be just a bad memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Topps

Good evening ya'll. Just thought I'd open a thread for those with family in the EU and hoping to get home to visit this summer.

Lots of us haven't seen family in over a year, some were lucky enough to get home for a few weeks last year but many were not.

I am sure most of us will visit this year to see our family but what are your expectations? Do you expect us to be officially allowed or will we be discouraged?

How is your home nation expected to manage their summer plans as long as the 4th wave of Covid has subsided and inoculation levels increase?

I know in Croatia they are quite open with negative PCR acceptable and if a Green list returns no PCR needed. How about your nation.

I think we are all looking forward to seeing our loved ones this summer :)

We are all family. I may jump in the backseat 😄 family pass to Europe

Advertisement