Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PCR travel tests...most expensive in Ireland!

• 08-02-2021 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

PCR tests for travelling (essential travel)

The prices are:

- Netherlands, Luxemburg - FREE
    - Eastern European countries (not subsidized)- less than 50

- UK airport test - 50 pound

- Ireland airport test - 99 euro

Why is there such a big discrepancy!?
    Why does Ireland have the biggest PCR test prices?
    (leave aside the HSE free tests because these are not for travel)
    How are these prices set?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Other countries permit antigen tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Like everything. It's a private company that can charge what they want or what they think people will be willing to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If you're travelling for essential work your employer should pay these, otherwise stay the f*ck at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

PCR tests for travelling (essential travel)

The prices are:

- Netherlands, Luxemburg - FREE

- Ireland airport test - 99 euro

Why is there such a big discrepancy!?
    Why does Ireland have the biggest PCR test prices?
    (leave aside the HSE free tests because these are not for travel)
    How are these prices set?

I dont know where you are getting a private pcr test in the netherlands for free:
    https://klmhealthservices.com/en/faq-corona-tests/
    https://coronalab.eu/en/#afspraak

thats two companies charging €129 and €139, theres anther dutch company charging €145. The HSE equivalent in the netherlands is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭djan

The tests are a pretty bug money maker in Ireland I'd say. Just had a look at a few countries further east and the likes of Germany or the Czech Republic PCR goes for around 50 eur.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

90 euro in Riga - and according to my partner, REALLY rough swabbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 curious minds

I dont know where you are getting a private pcr test in the netherlands for free:
    https://klmhealthservices.com/en/faq-corona-tests/
    https://coronalab.eu/en/#afspraak

thats two companies charging €129 and €139, theres anther dutch company charging €145. The HSE equivalent in the netherlands is free.

The HSE equivalent in the Netherlands is free. but unlike Ireland they do issue a cert for travel! ask the irish studying in the Netherlands who came over for Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

The HSE equivalent in the Netherlands is free. but unlike Ireland they do issue a cert for travel! ask the irish studying in the Netherlands who came over for Christmas

Students who came over for Christmas didnt need a covid test to leave the Netherlands nor enter Ireland in December. Many of them used the HSE test to get back to the Netherlands in January.

The dutch government website stated that the public health test was not valid for international travel.

If you're travelling for essential work your employer should pay these, otherwise stay the f*ck at home.

There are other reasons for essential travel besides work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Randox is 99 euro in Dublin. In Germany its 69 euro at most airports, though there may be some form of subsidy here as tests were free for returning residents over the Summer.

Yes we are being ripped off, but

1. Any travel will be for business so either your employer pays or you claim as a business expense if self employed (cannot be claimed as a medical expense)

2. It was 180-199 euro in Dublin before Randox showed up which shows there was a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 curious minds

GT89 wrote: »

Yes I agree with this, I don't know why people mention only business travel,
    Essential travel could be: medical reasons, studying in a different country, vulnerable family member that needs looking after, funerals, court hearings they are all mentioned on citizens info, so I am not sure why people only assume it is business only and the cost should be covered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GT89 wrote: »
    Yes I agree with this, I don't know why people mention only business travel,
    Essential travel could be: medical reasons, studying in a different country, vulnerable family member that needs looking after, funerals, court hearings they are all mentioned on citizens info, so I am not sure why people only assume it is business only and the cost should be covered

I specifically called out work as it's what most people travelled for pre-pandemic (including me).

I'm well aware of the list of essential reasons for travelling. If I was traveling for the above list of essential travel - especially if it was to attend a funeral of a family member - I'd certainly have more things on my mind than the cost of a PCR test. Also wouldn't be too surprised if the Dentists in Turkey are covering the costs of the PCR tests :pac:

I specifically called out work as it's what most people travelled for pre-pandemic (including me).

I'm well aware of the list of essential reasons for travelling. If I was traveling for the above list of essential travel - especially if it was to attend a funeral of a family member - I'd certainly have more things on my mind than the cost of a PCR test. Also wouldn't be too surprised if the Dentists in Turkey are covering the costs of the PCR tests :pac:

Could be someone's children living abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Conorpur

Anyone get a PCR test for travel lately? Was it painful? what was the waiting time? did anyone come back with a positive result? Can PM me if you want to keep replies private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Conorpur wrote: »
    Anyone get a PCR test for travel lately? Was it painful? what was the waiting time? did anyone come back with a positive result? Can PM me if you want to keep replies private.

It's not painful, just uncomfortable for about 10 seconds.

Not sure about the answers to the rest though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If the result is positive the provider is obliged by law to register the result with the HSE and full contract tracing etc will be followed

Advertisement