Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing positive while abroad

Options
  • 25-01-2021 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this question has been already raised but what happens if you go abroad and you test positive before coming back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stay where you are, follow the local protocols, return home when you've recovered and test negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Thanks, who is going to cover the expenses? I think I know already the answer to this question, just wanted to confirm if basically travelling even for a long weekend, is out of the question until ....well until they decide so.
    If what I read is right you carry the virus even if you are vaccinated, producing a proof of vaccination could not be enough unless you also test negative correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

darconio wrote: »
    Thanks, who is going to cover the expenses? I think I know already the answer to this question, just wanted to confirm if basically travelling even for a long weekend, is out of the question until ....well until they decide so.
    The expenses would be covered by you. That's the risk one takes choosing to travel internationally in a pandemic. Chances are you won't even be able to get travel insurance to cover it, the burden would have to be carried by you, unless you're travelling for work.
    If what I read is right you carry the virus even if you are vaccinated, producing a proof of vaccination could not be enough unless you also test negative correct?
    This is unknown. While infection levels are high, the requirement for a negative test will remain.

When infection levels reduce, a vaccination certificate may be enough. This is all very fluid, so it's impossible to say what the travel requirements will be in 3 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The “test negative” in addition to “recover” is the difficult point in some instances. PCR test is designed to test for fragments which seem to be present in the body for periods after the virus has passed. There were British students in Italy for the summer who were stuck in lockdown hotels for months as they could not satisfy the negative test requirements (think it was 2 or 3 tests in a row).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Unless travel is appsolutely nesessary then you shouldn't be travelling, end of story.

We are nearly 11 months into this now, how do people still not understand?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

if you're selfish enough to go abroad then you should have to cover all the expenses yourself should you catch this disease. Stay at home, end of

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    if you're selfish enough to go abroad then you should have to cover all the expenses yourself should you catch this disease. Stay at home, end of

What if he went abroad for essential reasons and caught covid, should he have to cover the cost then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

faceman wrote: »
    What if he went abroad for essential reasons and caught covid, should he have to cover the cost then?

It would depend on the essential reason however generally at the expense of the individual initially, let them argue the point with whomever they think should pay once they get home, or not go in the first instance unless that has been agreed......

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

davo2001 wrote: »
    Unless travel is appsolutely nesessary then you shouldn't be travelling, end of story.

We are nearly 11 months into this now, how do people still not understand?! :confused:

I wasn't going to travel, at least in the short term, but I was just checking what could happen if you'd travel and get infected while being in your destination. It's not the point of understanding/not understanding, you said it yourself it's been 11 months of this + god knows how many more months to come, I wouldn't mind to go home and see my family at some stage.
    UDAWINNER wrote: »

Selfish in what way? because I don't book an holiday for you as my companion? Seriously, somebody might need to travel for the most different reason, if they are negative when they leave and when they come back is it really necessary to point the finger and address them as "selfish" ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Gardai are enforcing the ban on non essential journeys around the airport according to media reports at the weekend, so just deciding to pop off for a long weekend isn't a runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

But the gardai only setup the checkpoint at 7am...
    I cannot see any reason to stop people leaving, one fewer to vaccinate, one fewer to get sick...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That’s the risk you take travelling at the moment. No insurer will entertain such a claim

• Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Gael23 wrote: »
    That’s the risk you take travelling at the moment. No insurer will entertain such a claim

That the key, all the health insurance policies have changed

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your employer will, I assume yo didn’t travel for a holiday.

If it was a non work reasons you’ll pay or maybe your travel insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Apologies if this question has been already raised but what happens if you go abroad and you test positive before coming back?

The govt of the canary Islands give free covid travel insurance for up to 30 days from your arrival.

Advertisement