11-01-2005, 22:49   #1
Sander

Send a message via MSN to Sander
Dutch

Maybe there are some people interested in the Dutch language? Dutch is my mother language so If you would like to know something about it you can ask me and maybe I can help you. Maybe I can do some translations etc. for Irish people?
Advertisement
15-01-2005, 21:12   #2
pickarooney

Maybe not

Actually, I have some formulieren for the belastingdienst that need invullen. I'll buy you a vaasje if you do them for me
16-01-2005, 10:34   #3
Micamaca

Hoi Sander, I did a Dutch beginners class awhile ago as we were hoping to move to Flanders last year, didn't happen yet but would love to practise a little dutch with someone! I like the language a lot, it seems very sweet! So any useful phrases or learning tips you could give me would be great... dank jij wel!

micamaca
16-01-2005, 16:16   #4
Chong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander
Maybe there are some people interested in the Dutch language? Dutch is my mother language so If you would like to know something about it you can ask me and maybe I can help you. Maybe I can do some translations etc. for Irish people?
My father is dutch and is from just outside Den Haag.
17-01-2005, 16:14   #5
koneko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micamaca
dank je wel!
Corrected.
Advertisement
17-01-2005, 16:16   #6

I'm dutch! Well half and half really
21-01-2005, 20:22   #7
Sander

Micamaca: nice to read you're interested. If you want to I can learn you some words etc. but I guess there are better ways to do it than by this forum. If you want to, you can sens me I private message.

pickarooney: nou ik heb ze zelf ook door iemand anders in laten vullen en moest ongeveer 360 euro terugbetalen dus misschien kun je het toch beter zelf doen ik zie trouwens dat je een goeie 12 kilometer van me af woont.
21-01-2005, 21:44   #8
Sangre

Lived in Holland from the ages of 2-4, never did pick up much Dutch because they insisted on speaking perfect English to me.

Whats the deal with Dutch people sounding American when they speak English?
22-01-2005, 12:19   #9
Sander

Sangre: the correct name of the country I live in is the Netherlands, not Holland like a lot of people use .

Maybe it's true that Dutch people sounds American when they speak English, I guess that's because a lot of tv programs are in American English and so the people hear American English all the time when they watch television. They copy it from tv. Some people told me that I sound a bit like an American the last time I was in England (4 days ago).
Advertisement
23-01-2005, 14:28   #10

Then why do dutch people support the "hollandse ploeg"?

Hup Holland Hup

and all that
23-01-2005, 15:46   #11
Sander

SeaSide:

that's because there are also a lot of people who don't know the difference or don't have problems with it. And "Holland" is easier to sing than "the Netherlands". But it's not a big issue or something.
23-01-2005, 15:51   #12
Sangre

Pffft, whatever. Tomato, tomato. Doesn't really work in text format but you get the idea. ( I call it Holland because most other people do..its easier)

I'm convinced I have this American twinge in my accent because I learnt most of my English in the 'Netherlands' despite being only there two years and for the rest of my years in Ireland with Irish parents. Its not a really noticeable difference but mostly people from the North will enquire about my American heritage.

Its not that Dutch people are mistaken for Americans its just that certain words, pitchs and nasal stresses closely resemble american dialects...
23-01-2005, 19:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander
SeaSide:

that's because there are also a lot of people who don't know the difference or don't have problems with it. And "Holland" is easier to sing than "the Netherlands". But it's not a big issue or something.

Yeah but you brought it up not me
29-01-2005, 21:40   #14
Beno

Hey all!
Im dutch, hence the name, lived in Ireland 16years (im 19), picked up language from parents, really grateful for that , im a native speaker even thought ive never lived there, its great!
dutch is hard to learn though! i have trouble writing it.........
missS u livin near limerick by ne chance?

Hup Holland!

ooops, on brothers profile, Im dutchboy, really!

Last edited by Beno; 29-01-2005 at 21:43.
29-01-2005, 21:46   #15

there we go, thats better

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion