Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Namibia

Options
  • 31-08-2009 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Anyone recommend a good time to go ?

for game watching and nice landscapes, I heard April - September
    as this is dry season and animals come to the waterholes.

Also if anyone has gone, can they recommend a crowd to go with ?

cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I'm going to southern Namibia in October/November. Doing a self-drive safari in Kgalagadi (technically South Africa) and hoping to visit Sossusvlei, Fish River Canyon, and Luderitz. Have never been before though so perhaps this is a silly plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

I went in May, not sure of the best time to go but it didn't rain at all then, went to Etosha and the waterholes were fairly plentiful with wildlife, only had to turn to watch various species come and go.

Some very spectacular scenery but with it being mostly desert I imagine it's pretty much always dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

This web page should give you a good idea of what to expect when – climate varies quite a lot during the year: http://www.namibia-tour-guide.com/namibia-climate.html

We did a self-drive trip – flew in and out of Windhoek, hired a 4x4 (advisable but not essential for most roads) and drove ourselves around to Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Skeleton Coast, Damaraland, Twyfelfontein, Etosha.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Gonna bump this.. Looking at 2023 for a self drive trip for the wife's 50th to Namibia. I know it's 2yrs out but looking at planning meticulously. Have a Namibian friend who has me sold on visiting there. Hoping to be brave enough and hire a Toyota double cab with roof tents and rough it for a couple of nights.Will do the usual spots with Etosha watering hole a definite. Duration of trip around 16 days in late june. Any info greatly appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Quags

I am heading next week, heading with a bunch of randomers. We are off to Etosha for 3 days and few other places, will send you a mail when back

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Quags

So I done a tour and we done the following.

Etosha Park, Swkopmund (ATV over sand dunes), Spitzkoppe (camped overnight in the park and it was amazing), Windhoek for a couple of nights, Namib-Naukluft national park were we done a sunrise scenic flight and climbed Big Daddy Sand Dune and seen the dead trees.

Lot of long days driving to places but worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sounds class. I'm beginning to sort out a 3 week family trek in 2 years so great to be googling these places.

I must have YouTube worn out watching video's on Namibia. Even getting my head around that it's 3.5 times bigger than the UK but has only 2.7 million people. Will look to hire a 4x4 with roof tent with staying in a lodge some nights too. Flights for june next year are salty enough €800 for economy. In Windhoek there's a street called after Sean McBride for his humanitarian work there.

Advertisement