Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Music (Band, DJ, Singer) ONE POST PER BAND ONLY! Read post #1 First!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 earmuffs08

hey there,

Can anyone recommend a really good band for a young wedding reception crowd ( mostly in there late 20's) in th northwest area? our reception is in donegal, so surrounding counties would be great either.

Thanks

Earmuffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

If anyone is looking for a harpist for their big day please PM me and I will pass on details.

I know one of the best harpists in the country. All-Ireland competitions winner. Based in Mayo but can travel. Immensely talented musician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Margaret Finn

I'd recommend the Good Guys Wedding Band. www.thegoodguys.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 fuzzy12

Anybody know a good wedding band in London? Gettiing married there in August and trying to check out a few bands before deciding.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LittleRose

Hi all,

I'm looking for a 2-piece band (preferably jazz / swing) for our wedding in Limerick next December. Anyone know of any? We have found our perfect venue but the most they can accommodate is a 2-piece band.

Look forward to any suggestions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 bolddoyler

Hello all,

I'm getting married in August and I'm trying to figure out how much to set aside for the band. From what i can see here I'm looking at upwards of €1200. Seems pretty steep to me, is this really how much I can expect to spend?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It might seem steep, but if you consider that a band might have at least 3 or 4 members to pay plus travel costs and all that, I don't think it's exorbitant at all. By all means shop around, but don't skimp - a bad band can put a dampner on the day.

eoin wrote: »
    It might seem steep, but if you consider that a band might have at least 3 or 4 members to pay plus travel costs and all that, I don't think it's exorbitant at all. By all means shop around, but don't skimp - a bad band can put a dampner on the day.
    That would mean a band of 4 members charging €1500 for the night for 4 hours would be getting the guts of €100 quid an hour. And unless they're travelling from the arse end of the country, I don't think you could factor more that about €50 overall for travel costs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Well, it's usually a 3 hour set, but there is also the time to set up and put away the gear. I imagine they also have to account for practise time. Personally I don't think it's mad money.

Laptop it is.. lol

• Advertisement

A band can really make a big difference on the wedding day, and is often one of the main things people remember about the day. I am so glad we got a good band and DJ - the dancefloor was packed all night. On the other hand, for the little amount of time we spent in the car we hired, I would just ask someone to drive us if we were starting over.

I agree it would be a lovely addition to the day, but to be honest we're a newly mortgaged couple, with very little to spend. Hopefully whatever we can provide on the day will be sufficient for the guests to remember well. At the end of the day, its supposed to be the celebration of me and my fiance making a commitment to each other, in the presence of the family and friends we hold dear, not just a keeping up with the jones' affair to prove we can get the best of everything. I don't see the point in getting ourselves into more debt in the current climate, which I think the people close to us will understand.

not just a keeping up with the jones' affair to prove we can get the best of everything

That really wasn't our motivation, I can assure you. We just wanted a good band that would entertain our guests, and that's what we got.

Apologies Eoin if that was implied, it wasn't what I intended. I'm just getting a little dispondent at the spiraling cost of what's supposed to be 'the happiest day of your life'... etc. It just seems like the minute you slap the word 'wedding' on something it automatically doubles the price. Most other brides I talk to seem totally OK with putting themselves into ludicrous debt for the sake of one day which will really only be important to a few people.

bolddoyler wrote: »
    Apologies Eoin if that was implied, it wasn't what I intended. I'm just getting a little dispondent at the spiraling cost of what's supposed to be 'the happiest day of your life'... etc. It just seems like the minute you slap the word 'wedding' on something it automatically doubles the price. Most other brides I talk to seem totally OK with putting themselves into ludicrous debt for the sake of one day which will really only be important to a few people.

I agree with your point - however, my opinion is that the band can make a massive difference to the day, while some other things are in reality just dressing that don't really make a difference either way (e.g. the car, maybe the cake, flowers in the church etc). I honestly think that the band and DJ we got really helped make the day for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daveshuffle

Smileylynz wrote: »
    hi,

Getting married next August (2010) and looking to book a band now, I was recommended THE LOVE JUNKIES.

Anyone ever hear or see them?

Open to other suggestions also.

Thanks,
    If your still looking for a good Band Check out www.myspace.com/shufflelive

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Hello all,

[I'm getting married in August and I'm trying to figure out how much to set aside for the band. From what i can see here I'm looking at upwards of €1200. Seems pretty steep to me, is this really how much I can expect to spend?

Hi boldolyer.

I play in a wedding band and it is tough going.
    Its not turning up in a local bar and singing for a couple of hours.

You have to set up, very often this means being there before the guests go in to dinner. Thats the whole day gone, especially if you have to travel a long distance. Im not going to labour the point, just remember that it can mean 12 hours sometimes allowing for leaving the front door of the house to getting back that night/the following morning.

If you are going to look for a cheaper option, look locally in the town that you are getting married, a band from the area will not have to travel far.
    If you insist on going for a cheap budget, go and hear them at another wedding before you book them, in case they are poor musicians. thats the best advice I can give you. Have a good day whatever you decide to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 the fella who

Hello, has anyone ever used the whiskey river band for the wedding?? What they like??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alloallo1

Hello there. has anyone had KIF for their wedding band. Heard them in pub settings but was wondering what they're like as for weddings?

Hi,

I've been to three different weddings with these guys and I'd be just as delighted to see them at the next! There excellent. Really talented musicians and really get the crowd going, both Young and old.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cb7

Has anyone had or heard of The jokers wild for a wedding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Noteb

I just booked my wedding band, they are very reasonable- under €1100 for Dj & band. PM me if you want further info. They are not long on the scene- hense the price... but they are SUPER!

Hi
    Yes I would love that number, please.

Thanks

no prob, i just PM'd it to you, as I doubt I can post it here.

Was talking to John, seem very reasonably priced. Not to far from me either!!

That's great!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mhairt

Anyone know any good bands. We are looking for a rock band that would play foo fighters, reef, supergrass, ocean colour scene, greenday. Our wedding is in sligo but dont mind where the band is from. Guideline prices would be brilliant as well.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PonyP

Hi Noteb,

I have pm-ed you too looking for that number. Am getting married in Kerry in October and need to start getting organised! Have the priest, church and hotel booked. Next step, the band!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MORISH

That band & DJ sound very good value, not getting married till feb 2010 dont even have a venue yet but its always good to have these details. As you mentioned their new on the circut it might be worth gettin in early. Noteb could you PM them to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stephenjk

Could you PM me with the details for this band also.

In addition - has any one heard of Perpetual Grooves - they sound really good on their website but was interested to hear a bit of independent feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 FlyingDutchman

Hi all,
    I'm getting married in Kinsale later this year. Our host has strongly recommended a band called Soul Driven (based in the Cork area), we've already made a provisional booking through him. Unfortunately we can't find a lot of information about them.

We've left vm and email with them and they're not coming back to us. Has anyone seen them and what are they like?

Much appreciated

Advertisement