Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scamming a scammer

• 23-10-2020 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Note - I did not get scammed.....just attempted

Trying to sell something online and got an email from an interested party. The email address was of an Irish name but the wording, phrases and grammar were not what you would expect from an Irish person (apologies if that sounds odd) but nothing was colloquial. Giving the benefit of the doubt, I responded but didn’t give any personal info. I did include reference to the newly imposed restrictions to see if that would twig anything with them......it didn’t.

Received a response this morning, the usual scam......can’t come see it, work commitments (a realtor in a small village....?), can send you a cheque.......

I am looking for suggestions or recommendations to give this scammer a taste of their own medicine (if mods allow)

I dnt want to get into a email convo with them so was thinking of trying to sign their email account up to a number of annoying subscriptions services just to p*ss them off, and in the hope that it’ll be at least one email acc they won’t be using anymore.

Has anyone done this before?

Mods if this isn’t allowed, apologies and close the thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

I would imagine they have plenty of email accounts. In fairness they don't seem to have much else to do.

Maybe get them to lodge the money into the Iban you get with a swirl card. Take the money out before they charge back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Sens them a check of minus 50 euro. Spell it minus fifty.

Obviously when they cant understand the english and they cash it the money boomerangs into your account.

You might get ten years for fraud though so make sure you have a respectable job, a good family support network and 500 euro to pay damages to the scammer.

Might get a few years suspended.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tell them you are too busy right now, because ...

Dear Mr. XXXXX

Thank you very much for you interesting email, it was kind of you to contact me with your proposition.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to help you at this point in time as my company are conducting a very important 4 year long research project on Advanced Handwriting Recognition and Graphology systems.

Our work is extremely intensive and vitally important for our clients. They have committed over eight million dollars to our project and we are nearing the final stages. After nearly 4 years of research and development we are now only three months away from the conclusion and I am afraid I can allow nothing to interfere with the project until its completion.

We are always looking for paid volunteers to help with our project. If you are aware of anyone who would like to earn money by helping with our project by providing samples of their own handwriting to us then please do read the submission information below. We pay US $100.00 per page of handwriting samples.

Sincerely,

Arthur Dent BSC. HHGTTG. PhD.
    Director
    Singlesideband Systems

https://www.419eater.com/html/cyril_ifey.htm is a thing of beauty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ask is he interested in sponsoring R.T.E.s coverage of the National Pigeon Racing Championship

Advertisement