Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Drive Turbo Trainer

Options
  • 15-10-2019 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

In the market for a new turbo trainer, I've had a 50 euro cheap Tacx one which has served me well but interested to hear peoples opinions. Over the winter I plan on using this a lot more and more

Looking at the pricing of a good direct drive is 700+ (Wahoo Kick Core)... I'm a little bit stumped on the value of these compared to cheaper alternatives. Are they worth it/ what do they offer over a cheaper Elite Muin 300 halford job...or even against one where you use your own wheel...

my knowledge is very limited on turbo trainers so would love to hear what people think who use these and the advantages etc!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've had the Muin, and now have the original Hammer. Direct Drive is better (more consistent), than wheel on, but having a Smart Turbo, with ERG mode, makes it so much better. Especially for the base period, where you can get away with less focus on the actual efforts.

fwiw the Hammer also seems to match my single sided power meter, whereas the muin's "power" (with the sensor) was consistent, but way off reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If you have a crank power meter then the Muin will more than satisfy most turbo needs. Ive had this set up got 3 winters now and see no reason to change it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

I have the wahoo kickr core. Pricey but I like it. The "feel" is very realistic and when using it with Rouvy it is as close as you get to being outside. What you are paying for is the ability of the machine to translate the contours of the route into resistance in your pedals as realistically as possible especially if you have to drop your cadence on a heavy climb.If you google DC Rainmaker trainer reviews there is a lot of useful information about different models. All I can say is that last winter was my first with the wahoo and I consistantly did two sessions during the week and one on a Saturday which was good for me as normally I hate turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

I bought a Kickr Core last month and I use it with Zwift. I can not fault the Kickr as its easy to set up and fairly silent, but using it with Zwift makes it something I look forward to in the evenings.....

Zwift costs about €15 a month...

I justified the price to myself by cancelling my gym membership (which I only used for a spin class twice a week) and I much rather prefer having Zwift and the trainer than a spin class in the gym ..

Direct drive smart trainers are the way to go over using your own or a training wheel.

I use TrainerRoad - I go for other entertainment options like the eurosport player or netflix. TrainerRoad also has outdoor workouts now, so you can swap the indoor one, for an outdoor, which will push to Garmin computers/ watches or Wahoo Computers.

I think I've one referral code left, if you pm me your name and email address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I use TrainerRoad - I go for other entertainment options like the eurosport player or netflix. TrainerRoad also has outdoor workouts now, so you can swap the indoor one, for an outdoor, which will push to Garmin computers/ watches or Wahoo Computers.

I think I've one referral code left, if you pm me your name and email address.

With Trainer road (or any other tool) you have that on laptop/tablet in front of you, do you have any other screen on for entertainment /distraction?

shaka wrote: »
    With Trainer road (or any other tool) you have that on laptop/tablet in front of you, do you have any other screen on for entertainment /distraction?
    I have a two screen set up. However, over the years I've used Laptop with TV, and Phone with TV.

I run it on an Android Box at the moment, but it's technically not supported (but allowed me to load from the Play store). It's started to get a bit flaky (the box rather than TR), so once I get back training I'll probably move to just using my phone on the out front mount tbh.

Anything intense I can't concentrate on screen, and just play music tbh. VO2 Max, even podcasts are in one ear out the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

You can have entertainment and trainer road on the one screen
    https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000095406-Using-Entertainment-with-TrainerRoad-

Ive being using a dumb trainer with a power meter up until now and it was hard enough trying to hit the required target power and cadence for the intervals without videos. Music was fine though.

Just after buying a smart trainer so I'll see if its a bit easier to do now that I have erg mode.

Advertisement