Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitehall-Drogheda

Options
  • 15-10-2019 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

I’m going to have to commute this for awhile. Was wondering which is the quickest route (for me this would mean excluding any kind of climbing. Nag’s Head for example).

I usually go via Balbriggan but Google Maos is suggesting a route I don’t recognize.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it positron who sometimes commutes from drogheda to dundrum? he might have some suggestions.

Is it sending you via the R108 and up through Naul etc?

You planning on doing it every day including a return leg or bussing it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I’m going to have to commute this for awhile. Was wondering which is the quickest route (for me this would mean excluding any kind of climbing. Nag’s Head for example).

I usually go via Balbriggan but Google Maos is suggesting a route I don’t recognize.
    Just follow the R132 all the way to Whitehall, it's pretty flat. The R108 (via The Naul) is mountainy, narrow in places and has lots of blind bends. There is no other realistic direct route. Can I also suggest the Matthews service as an alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Is it sending you via the R108 and up through Naul etc?

You planning on doing it every day including a return leg or bussing it back?

Both ways maybe twice a week.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Just follow the R132 all the way to Whitehall, it's pretty flat. The R108 (via The Naul) is mountainy, narrow in places and has lots of blind bends. There is no other realistic direct route.

Yes. I don’t like that route tbh. Especially on way home to Whitehall in the dark.

I did it once a few years ago and went to the N2 and back to Finglas and across.

• Advertisement

Yes. I don’t like that route tbh. Especially on way home to Whitehall in the dark.
    Well, I've done them all, in a car of course, and there is little to no other choice. Other routes could be a lot worse. I think the bus home might be the right call. The N2 adds more time to your journey and you have the R150 to deal with, which is downhill suppose! You could cut back via Swords though on the R125.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

I've cycled from Drogheda to Dublin going the old N1 ..... never ever again and that was on a Sunday afternoon.
    You'd be mixing with commuter traffic getting to work.

I've gone around the airport, ballyboughal Naul bellewstow......lots and lots of climbing.

You'd be talking 1.5 to 2 hours each way.

micar wrote: »
    I've cycled from Drogheda to Dublin going the old N1 ..... never ever again and that was on a Sunday afternoon.
    You'd be mixing with commuter traffic getting to work.

I've gone around the airport, ballyboughal Naul bellewstow......lots and lots of climbing.

You'd be talking 1.5 to 2 hours each way.

Thanks. I’ll be traveling the other way. I got it in 1.5 hours going via N2 so I should be ok with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think I'd prefer the R132 over the N2/R152. I don't like the R152 from Kilmoon to Duleek as you get drivers doing 80+ along there with no hard shoulder.

I'd cut off the R132 at points too (Man of War to Balrothery, then Clonard to Gormanston) - they are climbs, but not long (<10 minutes each), and the downhills make up for it.

https://goo.gl/maps/pyXc8uk8TAq1WfLZ8

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the naul-balbriggan road like during rush hour? i.e. using the R108 on the southern half, and the R132 on the northern half of the commute?

• Advertisement

I think I'd prefer the R132 over the N2/R152. I don't like the R152 from Kilmoon to Duleek as you get drivers doing 80+ along there with no hard shoulder.
    another option would be to keep going as far as balrath and taking the R150 to duleek - you're still left with the R152 from duleek to drogheda though. the R150 seems much quieter than the R152 (based on me being out that way on saturday/sunday mornings, though).

what's the naul-balbriggan road like during rush hour? i.e. using the R108 on the southern half, and the R132 on the northern half of the commute?
    Very little on it really at any time but it depends what's going on on the M1. R132 is fine northbound once you get past Blake's Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

R132 all the way is the best bet. About 1hr 20 to the airport.

Yeah was thinking too you're heading north so the **** show that is Julianstown southbound in the morning shouldn't be an issue, just that lovely hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭positron

As accused I do occasionally cycle Drogheda-Dundrum. But Jawgap and others do Drogheda-Dublin way more often that I do, and there are a few threads from years ago that discusses all the options.

The flattest and quickest option is of course R132. It's the old main road to Belfast, wide enough mostly except for some pinch points for traffic calming etc thru villages - Most dangerous part is the Lissenhall junction though.

Naul route (R108) is narrow and hilly. It's a very popular route for weekend club riders, but tiring if you are commuting, imo. It's also narrow and you could surprise car commuters around tight corners, which is not great.

R130 (Coolquay, Garristown, Duleek) is a better option than R108. Roads are narrow but quieter, nice surface and great scenery. Duleek to Drogheda you are on busy road but it's manageable (or you can take Duleek-Juliastown for some extra mileage).

All said R132 is what I end up taking more often than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

positron wrote: »
    ... - Most dangerous part is the Lissenhall junction though..
    How is it dangerous? There's a pedestrian/cycle subway there. Even without using the subway, I'd never consider it to be dangerous.

Doh, you are right - my mistake! I was thinking of Blakes Cross, southbound. Sorry about that.

another vote for the old belfast road from the chap in our building who does leopardstown-drogheda (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

positron wrote: »
    Doh, you are right - my mistake! I was thinking of Blakes Cross, southbound. Sorry about that.
    Now that can be dangerous - major squeaky bum time.

Now that can be dangerous - major squeaky bum time.

Yes dislike this part.

Apologies, but which road is the Old Belfast Road? Balbriggan to Julianstoan, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Northbound.....
    Really straight up through Swords by pass and through BLakes X although I have always found the road surface from Blakes X to Five Roads to be very 'dead' although a good section has very recently been resurfaced.
    Up to Balbriggan but you can avoid the town itself by using the by pass. This involves a small climb locally known as EEC climb. Up to the Naul rd roundabout take the second exit and then a quick left which leads up Clonard Hill and once thats cleared you have a nice long descent and flat to Gormanston.Straight up the R132 from there.

I know you said 'No Hills' but I would honestly take them rather then dice with cars and the stupid lights through Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How is it dangerous? There's a pedestrian/cycle subway there. Even without using the subway, I'd never consider it to be dangerous.

That's been shut for the last couple of weeks going to Swords.

You could go left at Bog o the Ring and go via Stamullen to Julianstown
    third right
    left on the R122, then first right to Stamullen
    Right in Stamullen, then left out past the National school/Gaa club

What part of Drogheda are you heading for Harry? Maybe I have some local knowledge for you or I'll at least know where to sprinkle the thumbtacks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Saw this on Twitter, where is the best place to post it?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EG4NowWWwAEtw9b?format=jpg&name=large

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Did I see you doing starting this commute this morn turning towards the Omni?

Sundrive track gear, and a white bike

Yes dislike this part.

Apologies, but which road is the Old Belfast Road? Balbriggan to Julianstoan, etc?

Yes, that's R132. This used to be the 'N1' before M1 was built.

Thanks for all the pointers guys. I was running late this morning so I stuck to what I had in mind. All went fine. I actually turned left at the river in Julianstown and went to the old race route to come in the back of Drogheda around Funtasia. I’ll experiment with the routes but tonight I’ll be sticking to similar in the way home tonight. Thanks again.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Did I see you doing starting this commute this morn turning towards the Omni?

Sundrive track gear, and a white bike

Yes, that was myself. I hoping some rule breaking wasn’t what drew your attention to me. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

on the way in, if you swing left just as you come into Balbriggan, turn right at the roundabout at the top of the road, then immediately left, that will allow you bypass balbriggan. About the same amount of climbing as staying on the r132, but you get the benefit of not going into balbriggan.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the pointers guys. I was running late this morning so I stuck to what I had in mind. All went fine. I actually turned left at the river in Julianstown and went to the old race route to come in the back of Drogheda around Funtasia. I’ll experiment with the routes but tonight I’ll be sticking to similar in the way home tonight. Thanks again.
    what distance did it end up as? about 50, 55km?

Advertisement