Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying A Bike - Is this Cannondale Any Good??

Options
  • 08-10-2019 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

About to buy a bike but my knowledge of them is zilch.

Intended use is for mid week local cycling to the shops etc and maybe the odd 40k at the weekend (not interested in achieving PB's !!)

I'm looking at this;

https://www.360cycles.ie/cannondale-bad-boy-3-city-bike-2020.html?id=199583316

I've up to 1k to spend and wouldn't mind looking at alternatives, any thoughts ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I know 2 people who have that machine and they love it. If you can get a test ride first, even better as it has an odd 'lefty' fork which isn't to everyones liking. If I was in the market for that type of bike this is what I'd probably buy

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭VUDuo2

I know 2 people who have that machine and they love it. If you can get a test ride first, even better as it has an odd 'lefty' fork which isn't to everyones liking. If I was in the market for that type of bike this is what I'd probably buy

Agreed, the fork is unusual - think that and the retro look has got my attention

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=492601&stc=1&d=1570542360

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

They also seem to hold their value quite well, so you'd get a decent return later on if you sell it on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

For midweek spins cycling to the shops etc. - yes it is good. If you have any ambition of taking up cycling as a hobby, I'd strongly suggest a drop bar road bike though. 40k on that might not be the most comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Its like a man with one arm!

• Advertisement

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Its like a man with one arm!

:D:D:D

Anyone know if getting spare parts for cannondales is an issue ??

2 Stores in Swords, that dont stock them, say I'll be waiting as they're very hard to source, another said should I need to replace a wheel then forget it (for the bad boy) as they aren't sold separately.

Is there any truth to that or is that just typical salesmen deterrent-speak??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Having put in 20,000+ miles on the alfine version of this - I would avoid. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but its a heavy, chunky bike, wheels are smaller than you'd like for commuting, its too flashy for locking outside the shops and you can get better value for your money elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

droidus wrote: »
    Having put in 20,000+ miles on the alfine version of this - I would avoid. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but its a heavy, chunky bike, wheels are smaller than you'd like for commuting, its too flashy for locking outside the shops and you can get better value for your money elsewhere.

+1 for everything above. I have the 2018 version and it's a lot of fun to cycle around town, but does attract attention. I wouldn't lock mine up on the street and expect to find it where I left it. I wouldn't be doing 40km on one either. They're too heavy for long distances. For 40km you want narrower tyres and lighter weight. Cannondale's Quick model is a better fit. It's cheaper, lighter & faster, but looks pretty boring alongside a Bad Boy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement