Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forgotten Irish Kid's tv shows

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

In the summer did rte do a cork based alternative to the den? With creepy puppets, but I may be mixing that up with the rimini riddle; of which I had a vague memory of and didn't even know the name of it until this thread appeared.

That was the Swamp. There may be a Rimmini Riddle connection through the puppeteers though nearly every RTE puppet show is probably connected in a six degrees of Kevin Bacon way.

Ten Minute Tales with Eddie Lenihan has been mentioned a couple of times. All I can find of it online are the closing credits. The music is that from the film Betty Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Following in the same vein as that last one from good old Eddie linehan. This one was on RTe through most of the 80s

The story teller

[

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Following in the same vein as that last one from good old Eddie linehan. This one was on RTe through most of the 80s

The story teller

[

I still love Eddie Lenihan's stories and books to this day. He currently has a podcast which is also available on YouTube. He was also a guest recently on Blindboy Boatclub's podcast.

Another animated show I remember from the early 90's is Boulí. I believe he was an Irish language speaking snowman if my memory serves me correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Another animated show I remember from the early 90's is Boulí. I believe he was an Irish language speaking snowman if my memory serves me correctly.

Bouli was originally a French cartoon. He was sent to the Aran Islands for the summer to learn Irish for the TG4 version. In the US version, he was known as "Des Bishop".

• Advertisement

Jo-Maxi. A teens, older kids show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Youngline - again, geared towards teenagers rather than younger children.

Started in 1977, ran till mid 80s. Teresa Mannion (ageless) was on it during the later years. Good tie-in annuals. Usually on around teatime, possibly Thursdays IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭r0n0c

Does anyone remember a competitive computer games programme about the mid 90s? Kids went head to head in various games, Street fighter, Sonic, Mario etc?

r0n0c wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a competitive computer games programme about the mid 90s? Kids went head to head in various games, Street fighter, Sonic, Mario etc?

Yes, was Head To Head the name of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Games World’ on Sky One?

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Was it called Megazone and filmed at RTE's Cork studios?

I vaguely remember another series on The Children's Channel (TCC) Called Head to Head which was presented by Violet Berlin.

Was it called Megazone and filmed at RTE's Cork studios?

It was an Irish production but I can't remember the name but I do vaguely remember the fact that it was filmed in Cork. Only had RTE 1 and Network 2 so the others mentioned I haven't heard of.

Just did a little Googling. Megazone, with Suzann Duffy. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Fortycoats, its not exactly forgotten but there's aspects of it that are lost in the mists of time due to fading memory and the lack of info online. What exactly was the premise? There was something about time travel. Why was Slightly Bonkers played by a grown woman, what were she and So Far doing hanging around with Fortycoats? What was the story with So Far, was he supposed to be a time travelling public schoolboy from Edwardian times?

The actress who played Slightly Bonkers died two years ago at the age of 71. That sort of thing can make you feel old! (RIP, Virginia Cole.)
    Youngline - again, geared towards teenagers rather than younger children.

Started in 1977, ran till mid 80s. Teresa Mannion (ageless) was on it during the later years. Good tie-in annuals. Usually on around teatime, possibly Thursdays IIRC.
    Here's Graham Norton on Youngline in 1981. :D

Let's Go! Young peoples show in the vein of Anything Goes, Carhy Parke was one of the presenters and she went on to join the latter. I can just about remember it as it ended when I was about 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Murphy agus a chairde. Brogeen follows the magic tune. These were from the days when R.T.E. would start 5.30 p.m.

Who remembers Top Club? Presented by Barry Lang mid 80s. Was trying to put a name this for years, all I could remember was the theme tune and the big teddy bear mascot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

God, that's a memory. Always thought that Barry Lang resembled Vincent Hanley.

God, that's a memory. Always thought that Barry Lang resembled Vincent Hanley.

Yeah, was always getting the two mixed up trying to remember some of the more obscure stuff either was involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Bouli the Snowman, an immortal gaeilgeoir magical snowman, impervious to warm weather patterns who dresses like a KGB spy skulking around London (check the Trilby hat). In fact, I think the whole thing is a le Carré-esque allegory for the Cold War. Soviet agents were said to have "snow on their feet" in spy-talk.

It's originally Canadian, but it's an honorary Irish kids show I'd argue.

• Advertisement

While it’s not a kid’s show, does anyone remember a short cartoon that would be on late on RTÉ, it was two lads sitting at a bar. Proper Dubs.

The skinnier one would tell these “tall tales” while the other one, with a moustache, would mostly just grunt every now and then.

After the story was finished the skinny lad would say ‘another Pernod and lucozade there, Rufus!’ and that would be it.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Pat's Chat starring the brilliant Pat Ingoldsby. I think it used to be on before The Den.

5 p.m. : Echo Island with Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh and Dara O Briain
    5.30 p.m. : Clarissa Explains it All (repeated on Saturday mornings) or one of the below
    6 p.m. : The Den "pick the programme" — they gave out premium numbers to phone-vote for Simpsons/ Saved By The Bell or Sister Sister etc.

Not sure how that last one was allowed, there must have been thousands of other kids secretly jacking up the phone bill with 1550 numbers, and dads all across the country getting the cold shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

While it’s not a kid’s show, does anyone remember a short cartoon that would be on late on RTÉ, it was two lads sitting at a bar. Proper Dubs.

The skinnier one would tell these “tall tales” while the other one, with a moustache, would mostly just grunt every now and then.

After the story was finished the skinny lad would say ‘another Pernod and lucozade there, Rufus!’ and that would be it.
    Was it part of The End with Sean Moncrieff as continuity presenter?

Was it part of The End with Sean Moncrieff as continuity presenter?

It could well have been, they had those short cartoons like ‘Beastly Behaviour’ and then stop motion one about people living in English flats.

If I had to guess I’d say it was later than ‘The End’ but I could well be wrong. It would certainly suit the style of that show.

In one episode the skinny guy told a story about having a cabin up the Dublin mountains with cans of beans and a tv. He could “ride out” any nuclear fallout there and afterward the only other thing alive would be cockroaches and he’d be their king.

Don’t really remember any others, just yer man ordering the Pernod and lucozade in a thick Dublin accent.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

It could well have been, they had those short cartoons like ‘Beastly Behaviour’ and then stop motion one about people living in English flats.

If I had to guess I’d say it was later than ‘The End’ but I could well be wrong. It would certainly suit the style of that show.

In one episode the skinny guy told a story about having a cabin up the Dublin mountains with cans of beans and a tv. He could “ride out” any nuclear fallout there and afterward the only other thing alive would be cockroaches and he’d be their king.

Don’t really remember any others, just yer man ordering the Pernod and lucozade in a thick Dublin accent.

Crapston Villas was that one, some funny sketches

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0176364/

One I remember in the 90s that I've never seen or heard of again was The Rimini Riddle. As far as I remember it was about a couple of kids that lived with their Aunt Vera in her guesthouse and I think it was near the sea. The distinctive thing about the show was that all the characters were these disturbing looking puppet things that gave me nightmares. I found a clip on YouTube. Jesus Christ the horror!

What sort of acid fuelled horror is that? Jesus Christ.

The Mulk wrote: »
    Crapston Villas was that one, some funny sketches

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0176364/

I seem to remember there was a sex scene where the girl bled afterward. It really didn’t hold back.
    What sort of acid fuelled horror is that? Jesus Christ.

That show got really “intense” when one of the kids started blaming an imaginary Otto who was doing all the bad stuff going on, everyone thought he was making it up but it turned out there was a cat-like thing called Otto, might have been a mink or a stoat, who was somewhat evil running amok.

The whole thing was nightmare fuel.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

anyone remember Mika? not sure what channel twas on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_zc-AxGPkg

• Advertisement

Who remembers Lug? Stop motion animated thingy, it used to be on before the early evening news for a while in 1981, dont it ran for long. Link to an episode here.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2021/0922/1248316-lug-na-locha/

Advertisement