Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft Punk - c'est fini

Options
  • 22-02-2021 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭

They've come to a conclusion. Always loved them, saw them in Belgium once, a great experience. I remember listening to them in secondary school in the 90s and I bought their latest album a few years ago. Sad to see the robots gone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Aw. Always liked them. Never saw them live would have loved to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Au revoir

A bed in heaven to them.

I remember their big hits in 1997 then though their time had past.

Then in 2001 they dropped that brilliant album and it was a glorious comeback. Then they disappeared.

Then they had that megahit with pharell in 2013.

Gives me hope that our best days can always be far in the distanr future.

I am going to binge on some old stuff on YouTube now. Da Funk first up....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Preferred Air myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've been to a number of different daft punk tribute acts in Dublin. Put on some robot helmets and hit play on some daft punk songs, has to be the easiest gig ever. Good craic though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I've been to a number of different daft punk tribute acts in Dublin. Put on some robot helmets and hit play on some daft punk songs, has to be the easiest gig ever. Good crack though :-)

Ah ya, one of my highlights of EP a few years ago was Daft as Punk in the Body & Soul bandstand.
    Probably 6pm on the Friday. It was epic and I was the right amount drunk at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

The hours I've spent listening to Daft Punk in the car is immense.
    It's not really surprising considering they haven't done anything solo in eight years, and they hate the limelight.
    Somewhat the end of an era though.

Preferred Air myself.

There was a period in the late 90's when French electronic music was churning out one great act after another. Cassius, Air, Les Rythmes Digitales all had some great tunes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This opens a gap in the market now for Linda Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There was a period in the late 90's when French electronic music was churning out one great act after another. Cassius, Air, Les Rythmes Digitales all had some great tunes

Didn't Cassius fall out of a hotel window or something a while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Epic band, thanks for the good times in the late 90's and 00's, they were the soundtrack to some of my best memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

A poor man's Vengaboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They finally saw Linda Martin's version.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,287 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Need one of them to go on The Masked Singer now, and take off a mask to reveal their Daft Punk helmet underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

This was a banging set from 97, loads of live mixing with Roland's. Fantashtic house music.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Huge fan but imho they never came close to matching the quality of Homework

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Homework is one of my all time favourite albums. And by a country mile Daft Punk’s greatest album.

I’d consider it (and Leftfield’s Leftism), as defining moments of electronic music.

Also anyone that hasn’t heard it, check out Alive 97.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The bastards. I will never forgive them. crying cat meme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

One of the most enjoyable live acts I've seen - They brought it every time.

Banger after banger, and a visual feast of lights and lasers and video to boot.

I was very lucky to have been at the Paris gig that became Alive 2007, as well as Oxygen that year too. The Paris gig was an almost religious experience, a perfect gig. The perfect gig.

Here's hoping the taxman comes after them in 10 or so years and a tour is required!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Never saw the appeal of their output post Homework. They were good, but not that good with the way some people and the media fawned over them. There are far more innovative producers in the electronic music world.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Ekerot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Northernlily

They've come to a conclusion. Always loved them, saw them in Belgium once, a great experience. I remember listening to them in secondary school in the 90s and I bought their latest album a few years ago. Sad to see the robots gone!

Great artists, but a Bit of an OTT end from them. Whether it's art or not is irrelevant, not sure I agree with the self destruct nature of the video especially in these trying times.

That is likely just me though.

Great artists, but a Bit of an OTT end from them. Whether it's art or not is irrelevant, not sure I agree with the self destruct nature of the video especially in these trying times.

That is likely just me though.

You'd understand it better if you'd seen the movie!
    "Daft Punk's Electroma - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daft_Punk%27s_Electroma

Cartman78 wrote: »

Actually now that I think of it, the Tron soundtrack is pretty decent but totally different vibe to Homework

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Discovery a savage album, as is the Interstella 5555 anime that accompanies it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I prefer Discovery to Homework, I didn't initially but over the years for me it's a far better more ambitious album.
    The one with Robot Rock I thought wasn't great, but I really like Random Access Memories.

retalivity wrote: »
    Discovery a savage album, as is the Interstella 5555 anime that accompanies it.

Don't get me wrong...I like all their stuff but Homework on a different level for me.

I was in college when it came out so that probably explains a lot :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Don't get me wrong...I like all their stuff but Homework on a different level for me.

I was in college when it came out so that probably explains a lot :-)

As i was when Discovery was released!

Advertisement