Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar PV/heat pump in a low consumption house

• 06-02-2021 2:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I’m currently considering a solar PV system, and am trying to decide is it worth it in my case.

I’m a one person household and likely to remain so. Most of my usage is at night/weekends. I use 2000 kWh of electricity a year. My heating is gas and I use 4000 kWh a year. Total spend €600 a year on electricity, €360 on gas.

I’ve a nearly due south facing roof, no shade, and can fit up to a 4.5kWp system (this would require me resurfacing a roof though. 3.5 kWp without changing the roof).

The environmental benefits of a solar pv system appeal to me. But I already buy 100% green electricity from the grid. My main environmental concern is the gas. Would I be better off getting a heat pump, and powering it via green electricity from the grid? I have fairly good insulation, triple glazing etc., but it’s not perfect and would need extra work to address cold spots, and also ductless MVHR to be installed, I think? It’s a 90 year old house that I gutted a few years ago, but obviously has old masonry etc., so sealing it to the standard required of a heat pump may be difficult? And then I’d likely have to change the radiators. I don’t have UFH.

My current idea is to do the solar thing now, with a battery, while the grants are available. Hopefully start benefitting from an FIT soon. And then install the heat pump down the line.

Presumably I’d need a fairly large battery to make the solar pv useful in powering the pump? Given my bills aren’t huge, and my concerns are more environmental anyway, would I be better off skipping the solar, putting the money into sealing the house/MVHR, and getting the pump installed now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

First thing to consider is changing your energy use by switching lights etc, if you have that under control you should look to upgrading the thermal properties of you house. Finally RE tech, only once the other two are in place should you consider them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

holdfast wrote: »
    First thing to consider is changing your energy use by switching lights etc, if you have that under control you should look to upgrading the thermal properties of you house. Finally RE tech, only once the other two are in place should you consider them .

Thanks. Already done re the lights and appliances. Thermal properties already done to a large extent, although there’s one or two things I need to address (draft still coming in in one spot, chimney needs to be blocked).

Looking at the quotes I’m getting and the size of my bills, I’m starting to think solar pv isn’t worth it, in my case. Assuming my electricity bill was reduced to zero (which it obviously won’t be), I’m still looking at a 15-20 year pay off. And that won’t actually reduce my carbon footprint at all.

I think I’ll plug up the drafts, see how much gas I’m using next winter, and then have a think about whether a heat pump is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

This might be worth a look detailed experience of heat pump installation and electricity consumption in older house. https://trystanlea.org.uk/heatpump2020

From a financial point of view in my opinion, swapping gas for a heat pump doesn’t make any sense. You would need a heat loss survey which will cost 500 quid and then met its recommmendations .
    solar Pv maybe but just to note, your house will need to get a c ber grade after installation. I would wait till your gas boiler is ready to be replaced and reassess then.

Advertisement