Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commencement notice

• 10-08-2019 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

This seems to have been answered before, but all the posts are quite old, so I'd like to confirm. I'm building an extension over 40sqm. Can I still opt out, I don't need a cert for mortgage etc, I have a very competent builder who I can trust. What do I need to submit? Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Commencement notice required.

You can opt out of the building ‘control’ regulations

But you cannot opt out of the building regulations.

Recommend you hire an arch or eng to sign off the building for planning and building regulations and to act as PSCS (health and safety)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 timm1

Thanks, what is the difference in control regulations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The building regulations are the technical standards which must be met for all construction.

What you can opt out of is "statutory certification under SI 9." What this means is that you can opt out of the requirement for a building professional to sign a certificate at the end of the project confirming the building regulations have been met.

As per above you still have to comply with the buildings regulations so in the absence of a professional you and the builder are responsible for ensuring all building regulations are being met.

Alternatively - you can get a professional involved and still opt out of SI9 but get them to provide an "opinion on compliance" at the end.

Thanks for the replies. I will be building as per building regs. I'm trying to submit the commencement notice at present, do you know what I should include in the drawings and general arrangement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

timm1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I will be building as per building regs. I'm trying to submit the commencement notice at present, do you know what I should include in the drawings and general arrangement.

Drawings that demonstrate that the works will comply with the building regulations.

Have you got an architect/engineer over seeing the build?

• Advertisement

I had thought that the architect that done the planning drawings would have, but he seems lost with the bcms. I called three places today, two said it's not there thing, and one didn't say no, but didn't seem to know much more than I did. Is opt out a new thing? I have resigned myself to putting something together with the help of the builder, he seems to know his way around the home bond book pretty well.

I had thought that the architect that done the planning drawings would have, but he seems lost with the bcms. I called three places today, two said it's not there thing, and one didn't say no, but didn't seem to know much more than I did. Is opt out a new thing? I have resigned myself to putting something together with the help of the builder, he seems to know his way around the home bond book pretty well.

Planning drawings are not construction drawings or building regulation drawings.
    It would be very rare for planning drawings to contain enough info to demonstrate compliance with building regulations unless you specifically engaged / paid the architect to this from the start.

Bear in mind the Homebond manual was published a good few years ago and hasn’t been updated.

I understand that, I didn't expect him to do it for free. I didn't figure he would not do them at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,824 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

for an extension its a simple enough application.

what county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Any arch / Eng business who have not heard of opt out should be viewed very suspiciously.
    I guess if a business is fully dealing with commercial stuff, they wont see opt out stuff at all but saying that, I fail to see how a business could have come through the dramatic changes to building control regs we saw in 2014 and not be away of the basics of it.
    Some councils are basically accepting planning drawings at this stage.
    It is very basic what is need right now for an extension to get a valid commencement notice.
    This may change with new Part L as it's going to be a major shock for lots of people extending imo.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    This may change with new Part L as it's going to be a major shock for lots of people extending imo.

yep !!!!!

It is sdcc, the reason I asked is it a new thing is because I couldn't fathom that professionals didn't know what it was.
    Do you think I would get away with planning drawings with some detail? Also what do I need for general arrangement?
    Its not that I'm trying to cut corners or cheap out, but being dumped in this position with the builer ready to go. I just don't seem to be able to get anyone to do this at short notice. Thanks for all the help, some great knowledge here.

It is sdcc, the reason I asked is it a new thing is because I couldn't fathom that professionals didn't know what it was.
    Do you think I would get away with planning drawings with some detail? Also what do I need for general arrangement?
    Its not that I'm trying to cut corners or cheap out, but being dumped in this position with the builer ready to go. I just don't seem to be able to get anyone to do this at short notice. Thanks for all the help, some great knowledge here.

Who is signing off the build?
    I asked this earlier but got no response. They are the person that will prepare the construction drawings and should deal with the BCMS in my opinion.

I agree, but the person that was to do this is now reneging on it. So I thought by opting out I would not need anyone to sign off on it. Normally I wouldn't entertain this sort of situation, but if I don't get started soon I'll lose my spot with the builder and he can't fit it in until next summer.

Can anyone recommend someone who can do these drawings

I'm in mayo so no use to you.

Can anyone recommend someone who can do these drawings

Where are you based?

kceire wrote: »
    Where are you based?
    dublin south

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Hypothetical question I'm hoping someone can help me with.

What happens if your builder gets a bit carried away and begins work a week before the commencement notice date?

Hypothetical question I'm hoping someone can help me with.

What happens if your builder gets a bit carried away and begins work a week before the commencement notice date?

youre allowed to do "enabling works"...

the moment the commencement notice kicks in is when building regulations need to be complied with, and that point is usually before foundations are poured.

In reality, i dont think youre going to have any trouble if they started a bit early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 jeepsterboy

can i ask how this was resolved? i'm in a similar situation. small extension, and thinking about opting out because i have a competent builder i trust...

can i ask how this was resolved? i'm in a similar situation. small extension, and thinking about opting out because i have a competent builder i trust...

What resolution are you looking for?
    What situation are you currently in?

Will you have any Professional Oversight during the works?

thanks for getting back.

situation is this. planning was granted in full.

i've now got a builder to - hopefully - start work in mid March, when restrictions on trades are eased.

professional oversight? i'm trusting my builder to work to the regs and don't anticipate any issues at all.

i therefore am unsure why there is a need for any further professional input - my builder will know as much as any engineer, possibly more than most of them, to be honest....

and that's why i am considering opting out .... i might think differently if this was a full house, a new build, or something that required mortgage approval, but it's a v small little room that's been added.

so that's where i am at the mo, and i wondered what happened to the orig poster and his predicament.

thxs again for coming back.

One small room?

Under 40 sq m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

This seems to have been answered before, but all the posts are quite old, so I'd like to confirm. I'm building an extension over 40sqm. Can I still opt out, I don't need a cert for mortgage etc, I have a very competent builder who I can trust. What do I need to submit? Any help much appreciated.

What did the very competent builder advise, i think he be best to advise on this as i expect they will know what to do.
    Personally i would likely "wing it"

thanks to you both (a bit over the 40).... the builder is leaving it with me at the moment, because i think he doesn't want to feel he's steering me..........

will give it another mull over. cheers!

thanks for getting back.

i've now got a builder to - hopefully - start work in mid March, when restrictions on trades are eased.

professional oversight? i'm trusting my builder to work to the regs and don't anticipate any issues at all.

i therefore am unsure why there is a need for any further professional input - my builder will know as much as any engineer, possibly more than most of them, to be honest....

and that's why i am considering opting out .... i might think differently if this was a full house, a new build, or something that required mortgage approval, but it's a v small little room that's been added.

so that's where i am at the mo, and i wondered what happened to the orig poster and his predicament.

The builder will or should work to a drawing.
    It is not his responsibility to keep up to date on exact requirements or really not even possible as every build will be different regarding energy requirements now and specifically important too is whether the works affect 25 percent of the building envelope.
    Considering all this, the best builder in the world will very possibly build a non compliant extension or at best a compliant one that will be difficult to prove compliance.
    All thst is just on the energy side of things - what about the structure - yes the builder may well be well aware of what might be needed but he cannot certify it so again you are digging yourself into a hole.
    You seem to think that the opt out means without engineer. This is not the case. It just releases you from the requirement to have an assigned certifier with all that entails.
    You can out out, get Professional to specify what is required and then give this to builder. At least you will know what he is supposed to be doing. You should also keep that professional on board to inspect the works and they will then be happy to issue opinion on compliance with planning and building regs.
    Never leave a builder to his own devices. Never let them get the Engineer either as in both situations you will end up with a botch.

thanks for getting back.

You can opt out and still engage professional over sight.

Have you done a Part L cross reference as per the new regulations?
    What is the builder proposing for compliance?
    What did the very competent builder advise, i think he be best to advise on this as i expect they will know what to do.
    Personally i would likely "wing it"

Most builders are aware of the regulations but not in a position or qualified to certify or sign off on them.
    thanks to you both (a bit over the 40).... the builder is leaving it with me at the moment, because i think he doesn't want to feel he's steering me..........

will give it another mull over. cheers!

A bit over 40m is a decent extension, relative to the main dwelling, so the Part L question above applies.

thanks again for the last few replies. very helpful, and much appreciated.......... getting out of my depth here, and need to digest some of this stuff. i thought the planning application was the hard bit!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If the extension is 40 m.sq., or greater, BCAR applies.

You can opt out of BCAR but you still need to submit a set of drawings with your commencement notice to demonstrate how the works will comply with (all) the (relevant) building regulations.

Not sure how competent the builder will be at preparing those drawings and/or preparing/submitting the commencement notice?

yes, you might be right................

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I know I am right! :p

If you don't engage some sort of professional for the construction stages and if you ever want to sell, or re-mortgage, the house, it may bight back.

And some Building Control Sections will look at the submitted drawings and if they are marked as Planning Only, they will invalidate the Notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 boe

We are in similar position, have planning permission we now need to submit separate drawings for commencement notice, I.e. ground floor slab/rising walls, cills/lintels, wall plate/roof details. This is despite the fact we submitted commencement notice with opt out declaration! Any idea of the cost of getting these drawings done? Thanks

boe wrote: »
    We are in similar position, have planning permission we now need to submit separate drawings for commencement notice, I.e. ground floor slab/rising walls, cills/lintels, wall plate/roof details. This is despite the fact we submitted commencement notice with opt out declaration! Any idea of the cost of getting these drawings done? Thanks

'Opt Out' actually means you are MORE in need of building reg compliant drawings than not

You need to show the council that you know how to comply with building regs... at least on an 'Opt In' the council know theres someone engaged that will ensure full compliance.

• Advertisement

boe wrote: »

Proper and correct order.
    You’ve opted out of statutory certification through the BCAR System, you have t opted out of Building Regulation Compliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

The big problem is if you ever need to sell the house you need to be able to prove compliance to the purchasers solicitor.

Advertisement