Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nama and cheap apartments

• 21-01-2016 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Cant seem to get my head around this.
    This is a post on facebook i seen on my timeline today

NAMA government agency sold 442 Dublin flats for €500,000
    That's right half a million!
    That's about €1200 each!
    Now get this
    These flats were then sold on for
    WAIT FOR IT
    €83.000.000
    YEP THAT'S 83 MILLION!
    THAT'S ABOUT €190,000 EACH
    NICE IF YOUR IN THE KNOW
    WONDER WHO GOT BACKHANDERS ON THIS DEAL
    JEEZ I WOULD HAVE SCRAPED TOGETHER €1200 FOR ONE MYSELF!
    THE DUBLIN HOMELESS CRISIS THEREFORE COULD HAVE BEEN SOLVED FOR €500,00
    PORTACABINS COST €190,000 EACH HOW MUCH ARE THEY PAYING HOTELS AND B&B's
    ARE WE CRAZY
    ARE THEY CRAZY
    IS THIS WORLD CRAZY ALL I KNOW IS THAT I AM MAD AS HELL
    ARE YOU?

I couldnt see another thread on this subject.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

That's the power of bulk buying !

Buddy get used to it, this is Ireland.

I read the other day that over half the worlds wealth is owned by 62 people.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/18/richest-62-billionaires-wealthy-half-world-population-combined

I mean what the fúck, no wonder the place is such a mess, what scares me the most is what will happen then these 62 people have 80%, if things are bad now can you imagine what it will be like then. Money = Power, governments haven't a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Is there an actual story on this somewhere, as I don't count Facebook posts as reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Saadyst wrote: »
    Is there an actual story on this somewhere, as I don't count Facebook posts as reliable.

http://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/nama-should-offer-flats-to-ordinary-buyers-argues-ff-34331291.html

As a matter of interest. Is the a reason why NAMA can't or doesn't sell to the public at such low prices?

Seems bizzare to sell them for 1400€ when even for 10k they would make so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

And as the article states, NAMA were the ones who made the €83m sale, making this story completely backwards. Also absent is the mention that half of the deal was commercial real estate.

Thanks for the crap thread though, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

TallGlass wrote: »
    That's the power of bulk buying !

Buddy get used to it, this is Ireland.

I read the other day that over half the worlds wealth is owned by 62 people.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/18/richest-62-billionaires-wealthy-half-world-population-combined

I mean what the fúck, no wonder the place is such a mess, what scares me the most is what will happen then these 62 people have 80%, if things are bad now can you imagine what it will be like then. Money = Power, governments haven't a chance.

That's not what it said, it said 62 people have the same wealth as the bottom half of the world. Not half the world's wealth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You can't sort homelessness by just sticking people into houses/flats either.

I'm sick of that being mentioned as some sort of silver bullet.

kjl wrote: »
    That's not what it said, it said 62 people have the same wealth as the bottom half of the world. Not half the world's wealth

Ah grand, so its alright then sound. My minds at ease now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Where in that does it say they sold the entire block for 500k, sure I could have bought that at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Where in that does it say they sold the entire block for 500k, sure I could have bought that at that price.

It doesn't. The story in the opening post is a load of...

Just that I was in a rush at the time :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Generally if anything like that has been posted on Facebook then the person posting it is a dope and the story is horse shìte...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm not surprised people picked up the facts in that story wrong.
    Look at how the Irish Times positioned it in their headline/sub-headline:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/oxfam-says-1-of-population-own-half-of-world-s-wealth-1.2500263.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

razorblunt wrote: »
    You can't sort homelessness by just sticking people into houses/flats either.

I'm sick of that being mentioned as some sort of silver bullet.

Kinda can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well the OP for this thread is based on fantasy and not fact. I live near Tallaght and those apartments and commercial premises have been vacant for years now. The fact they got €83 million for them is good business.

Also FF are talking fantasy with the notion that NAMA should deal with the general public selling individual properties. Their job is to recoup as much of the tax payers monies spent on these distressed properties as quickly and fully as possible. If they were selling to the public they would have to up their administrative capacities massively and would cost us more money.

FF are the reason NAMA exists in the first place !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well the OP for this thread is based on fantasy and not fact. I live near Tallaght and those apartments and commercial premises have been vacant for years now. The fact they got €83 million for them is good business.

Also FF are talking fantasy with the notion that NAMA should deal with the general public selling individual properties. Their job is to recoup as much of the tax payers monies spent on these distressed properties as quickly and fully as possible. If they were selling to the public they would have to up their administrative capacities massively and would cost us more money.

FF are the reason NAMA exists in the first place !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

They don't let facts get in the way of a good rant!!!!! :D

Half this, half that.. They should get out and earn their own cash, don't mind the fact that that once they're earning 35k or more they're in the top 5% of world earners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Instead of dealing with four or five hundred solicitors/purchasers over a protracted period of time, maybe a few years, in one swoop the whole lot is sold for, IMO, a fair chunk of change. I think they NAMA did a good job here.

I read the article a few times and didn't see €500K mentioned anywhere. In fact in the second paragraph the €83m is quoted as the sale price NAMA got for it.

Michael McGrath FF said "while NAMA may have achieved market value...". Even FF begrudgingly admit NAMA did a good job here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This is why we don't consider the ravings of madmen on their Facebook pages as a credible news source. Facebook status updates rank above only the Daily Mail for factual accuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Sorry for the short sighted post peeps.Delete if need be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-After Hours is not a News(and I use that in the lightest possible terms)dump.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement