Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dishwasher Conspiracy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

In my 27 years I've only lived in a house that had a dishwasher for 9 months, which was a student house.

Would love one though! Feckin hate washing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I would love to have one. Hate washing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am the dishwasher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

life is to short to wash dishes by hand. Hand washed stuff is never nearly as clean as dishwasher cleaned stuff.

I love dishwashers. I love lamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

It takes me maximum 10 minutes after dinner to wash and put away everything, including rinsing with hot water from the tap.

Most of these dishwasher require you to rinse off plates (or wash them first in other words). Then you have to stack things and maybe spend time rearranging if it's very full. Then the tablet thing. Then wait around for a while (not thinking about the dishwasher). Then take everything out with the likelihood of having to dry some cups where water has lodged.

There's absolutely no way they save time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am genuinely surprised by the lack of love some people have for the dishwasher! Shocked even. I would have thought that most people would love them, or love to have one.
    Learn something new about mankind every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I buy a new set of dishes for each meal, fup it, life is too short. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Don't have one, don't want one. Wasn't impressed when I had one. I find it quicker to do it myself.

I'm sure if I had to clean up after a family meal for several kids I might change my mind but just for me it's pointless. I don't cook anything elaborate either so tend to only use one pot, maybe two, most evenings. Again, if I was more into cooking I might make more use of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Menas wrote: »
    I am genuinely surprised by the lack of love some people have for the dishwasher! Shocked even. I would have thought that most people would love them, or love to have one.
    Learn something new about mankind every day.

I actually know a good few people IRL who don't like or refuse to use dishwashers and I've lived with some who got annoyed if they were looking for something and found it in the dishwasher! These people are freaks of nature. I refuse to live in a place that doesn't have a dishwasher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Dishwashers are a lot of bollix imo. The ultimate expression of modern decadence and waste. Well there's probably a better expression of that but anyway...
    I make a cup of tea, I drink the tea and put the cup in the dishwasher where it sits til god knows when, depriving me of the ability to use my cup at some future interval. The answer to this ludicrous situation is to have several cups? Where all I need is one.
    How about I rinse the cup under the hot tap for 5 seconds and give it a rub of a tea towel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Don't have a dishwasher, no intention of ever getting one.
    I do dishes twice a day, morning & any dishes from the evening before in the morning, lunch & dinner dishes in the evening.
    Takes about 15 minutes total, job done & everything clean, dried & back where they belong.
    My parents have a dishwasher & it seems to take ages doing a load & then you still have to put the them away.
    Nah not for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Agricola wrote: »
    Dishwashers are a lot of bollix imo. The ultimate expression of modern decadence and waste. Well there's probably a better expression of that but anyway...
    I make a cup of tea, I drink the tea and put the cup in the dishwasher where it sits til god knows when, depriving me of the ability to use my cup at some future interval. The answer to this ludicrous situation is to have several cups? Where all I need is one.
    How about I rinse the cup under the hot tap for 5 seconds and give it a rub of a tea towel?

Surely you have more than one cup?

I love my dishwasher. I treat it like shít but it never lets me down. Not once it the last five years have I fed it rinse aid or salt. I buy the cheapest of the cheap Tesco value dishwashing tablets at €2 for a big box and literally fúck in the plates/cups/saucepans with burnt on food any old way at all and yet they always come out sparkling clean. Marvelous contraption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Graces7 wrote: »
    There is a dishwasher here in my rental. never used it.. well I do, to store crockery in.. costs too much to run and I am happy washing up the old way..

How much does it cost to run?

I was once the dishwasher many moons ago, i still remember the day it roll into the kitchen, im sorry im getting emotional now, but that was the first day of my FREEEEEDOMMMMMM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well now I have to say my lovely DW has a thirty minute cycle that is the business!

Now I would have rinsed off gunk before they went in there for my once a week d.w fest. Please remember that!

But OMG when they are done, they are sparkling.

I need to get a life. Sorry, AHEM... I have one.... it's not taken up with washing, rinsing and drying!

Ah but, each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As there are only two of us in the house now we have stopped using the dishwasher except when family visit for dinner or a sleep over.

Glasses no longer show dulling from the DW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Agricola wrote: »

Decadence you say? How long d'you have to run the tap for before you get your five seconds of hot water? :D

And how often do you wash your tea towels? In fact, how many tea towels have you got? Most people I know with no dishwasher have a press full of tea towels, and they take up half the washing line every week! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ultimate dinner part challenge: to be able to serve dessert on the same plates (or in the same "verrines") that you used for the entrée, without your guests knowing/noticing that the machine has washed everything while they were working their way thorough their main courses. ;)

I'd sooner part with my kettle than the dishwasher. I can't stand the after-dinner pantomime in pagan households with half the guests saying "I'll help with the washing up", the other half feeling guilty for not offering, and the host saying "ah no, it's fine, no leave it, oh alright then..." Oh, and then the soggy tea towels hanging on every press door. :rolleyes:

Feck that! Throw everything in the dishwasher - delph, cutlery, pots, pans, the yoke that no-one knows the proper name for, everything. Keep your glass if you want to finish that bottle of wine. Five minutes and the kitchen's clean and tidy. :cool:

In France, you get ONE plate, no matter how many courses there are. After each course, you wipe the plate clean with a bit of French bread and eat it...the bread I mean ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Zut! Alors! D'you think I should tell my neighbours they're doing it all wrong? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How much does it cost to run?

I know a dishwasher does not cost a lot to run but some people think "well I have hot water free from the fire or range and washing up liquid is cheaper than dishwasher liquids, rinse aids etc'" If they are right or not I don't know. Use one if it suits you, wash by hand if you have little to wash. The cost factor is of little relevance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Ruu wrote: »
    What is your opinion on lagging jackets, conspiracy too? :eek::eek:
    (The Lagging Jacket Conglomerates are too powerful to speak out against.)

All hail our heating efficient overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

It takes me maximum 10 minutes after dinner to wash and put away everything, including rinsing with hot water from the tap.

Most of these dishwasher require you to rinse off plates (or wash them first in other words). Then you have to stack things and maybe spend time rearranging if it's very full. Then the tablet thing. Then wait around for a while (not thinking about the dishwasher). Then take everything out with the likelihood of having to dry some cups where water has lodged.

There's absolutely no way they save time .
    Yup.

What they actually are is 'dish hiders'

A truly dirty plate cannot be washed by a dishwasher. Hence the pre-wash rinse - wash before you wash. lol.

anyway, I've since been kicked out, so thankfully I won't be enslaved no more!

No more, i tells ye!!

Dishwashers are the biz when there's a few people in the house. They're more hygenic too, as they wash and rinse and dry at high temps.

For just myself it's not much of an effort to wash up my sad single plate/bowl/teacup/cutlery, but it would mean a lot more hot water used and effort expended if there were a few people to do it for.

Advertisement