Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hot does a heat pump dryer make the room?

Options
  • 22-02-2021 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Might sound silly, but I’m trying to figure out whether the newer heat pump condenser dryers output the same or less heat into the room than the condenser dryer I have. Does anybody have a heat pump dryer in a small utility - how hot does the room get?

Current cheap Candy condenser makes the hall it’s in very warm when running - the utility will be smaller but will have an extractor. I’m trying to understand if the room will be too hot still to put some electronics - router, NAS etc.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭deeperlearning

The air temperature inside the drum of a a heat-pump dryer is considerably lower than condenser dryers. I have a heat-pump dryer and it doesn't make the room hot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The air temperature inside the drum of a a heat-pump dryer is considerably lower than condenser dryers. I have a heat-pump dryer and it doesn't make the room hot at all.

Doesn't make the clothes hot either, they're useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Thank you - it seems my question is very hard to google :pac:

I’m just hoping with the extractor fan in the ceiling the room will be “cool” enough to have a few bits in a network cabinet. Thanks!

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Doesn't make the clothes hot either, they're useless.

Even the newer more expensive models? Like personally I wouldn’t mind if it took longer to dry clothes, the candy yoke I have gets almost too hot and leaves the clothes stink

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭deeperlearning

The Bosch dryer I have works great but it does take about twice as long as a condenser dryer to dry a load. The lower temperature is also better for fabrics.

It's very light on electricity as well. I calculated that it costs about 40 cents per load.

• Advertisement

The Bosch dryer I have works great but it does take about twice as long as a condenser dryer to dry a load. The lower temperature is also better for fabrics.

It's very light on electricity as well. I calculated that it costs about 40 cents per load.

Thanks a mill - yeah looking at Bosch serie 6 or 8 stuff so hopefully will be decent. Would you chance putting things like T-shirt’s in or would they still shrink?

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill - yeah looking at Bosch serie 6 or 8 stuff so hopefully will be decent. Would you chance putting things like T-shirt’s in or would they still shrink?

I've never had anything shrink in mine.

To answer your question on heat, I've a bosch one with heatpump and the utility doesn't get that much warmer. Certainly nothing compared to a vented model.

Even the newer more expensive models? Like personally I wouldn’t mind if it took longer to dry clothes, the candy yoke I have gets almost too hot and leaves the clothes stink

Do your research on the model you're looking at before committing. The aul Hoover condenser dryer is still literally clattering away here, it was expensive at the time but it never shrunk any clothes or made them stink etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Might sound silly, but I’m trying to figure out whether the newer heat pump condenser dryers output the same or less heat into the room than the condenser dryer I have. Does anybody have a heat pump dryer in a small utility - how hot does the room get?

Current cheap Candy condenser makes the hall it’s in very warm when running - the utility will be smaller but will have an extractor. I’m trying to understand if the room will be too hot still to put some electronics - router, NAS etc.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

We have a Samsung heat pump dryer since January, it’s in a small utility room and gives out v little heat. It takes about 11/2 to 2hrs to do a full load, v happy so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I have a Miele heat pump dryer in my kitchen.
    It dries the clothes efficiently, have never had any issues with it, and the room temperature is constant.

It was about €900 but worth it.

Thanks everybody - it sounds that because heat pumps operate a bit lower than older condensers that the room should be fine - I just don’t want to fry a few hundred quids worth of tech but then with the extractor and what you guys have said I think it’ll be fine hopefully!

Would you not be worried about humidity?

I’m not 100% sure to be honest - it a pain really that all the cabling is back to the utility at all but better than not at all I guess. There is an extractor which is humidity dependent.

What I might do is get a cheap sensor and see what the change is over time with the dryer on/off before I put anything in

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dryer is a condenser, so humidity should be a non-issue?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Dryer is a condenser, so humidity should be a non-issue?

In theory, yes but in actuality the humidity will increase especially in a small room.

In theory, yes but in actuality the humidity will increase especially in a small room.

Yeah you’re right - it’s just a question of whether the extractor will be enough.

I mean the bits and pieces I’ll be putting in shouldn’t be that sensitive - they’ll also me mounted much higher than the dryer though which gave rise to the heat question in my mind

Advertisement