Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit: Alternatives to Amazon.co.uk

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

I don't know if this is the correct thread but here goes.

I have just purchased some items on amazon and don't know wether I'll get hit with more charges once it lands in Ireland. See attachment for my order.

Another question, amazon are taking just under 10e a month from my account. I assume this is amazon prime but I can't remember signing up to it. Unless I've mistakenly signed up on my last order on Amazon.de. can I cancel this and if I do , do I get hit with charges

I don't know if this is the correct thread but here goes.

I have just purchased some items on amazon and don't know wether I'll get hit with more charges once it lands in Ireland. See attachment for my order.

Another question, amazon are taking just under 10e a month from my account. I assume this is amazon prime but I can't remember signing up to it. Unless I've mistakenly signed up on my last order on Amazon.de. can I cancel this and if I do , do I get hit with charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yes you will get hit with more charges
    There is no 'import fees deposit' aka vat there, also you paid in euro which is a no-no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

45euro delivery!

45euro delivery!
    must be a third party seller

• Advertisement

Should I cancel then and repay in sterling.

The delivery charge did seem high. What does third party mean

zell12 wrote: »
    Yes you will get hit with more charges
    There is no 'import fees deposit' aka vat there, also you paid in euro which is a no-no

How much extra am.i looking at if I continue with this order. Thinking of cancelling now

must be a third party seller

See attachment. Maybe I can get all this in Ireland for similar price but didn't have the time to go checking online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

kingbhome wrote: »
    See attachment. Maybe I can get all this in Ireland for similar price but didn't have the time to go checking online.

“Sold by: Nassboards”

It’s a 3rd party seller. You’ll likely be hit by Irish VAT when it arrives too.

kingbhome wrote: »

If you signed up for Prime on the DE store, it does nothing for you on the UK store. Switch to DE and check your account settings. Unsubscribe from Prime if it’s there. If it’s not there, go back to the UK store and check your account settings there.

Always read everything before clicking on anything on Amazon. Between Prime, extended warranties, bundles and monthly subscriptions to products you only want to buy once, it’s very easy to sign up to stuff you don’t want if you’re not paying attention.

• Advertisement

“Sold by: Nassboards”
    It’s a 3rd party seller. You’ll likely be hit by Irish VAT when it arrives too.
    Definitely and customs fees as it is over e150.
    Expensive!!

You can pose the question here, about how much it will cost
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058118872

Definitely and customs fees as it is over e150.
    Expensive!!

I suppose I should cancel this order then. Tried looking on amazon.de but can't find what I'm looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭jj880

Ordered set of tplink plugs for 28 sterlings. Got to checkout and Amazon added a "customs deposit" that brought the price up to 30 sterling. I ordered anyway as I desperately need them and cant get to a Currys due to lockdown. The plugs cleared customs and are now in Ireland. Im curious do I expect to get refunded the difference?

I know its only 2 sterling but I need to make a few more orders that cost a bit more and would like to know if people have been getting refunded the difference on this customs deposit?

jj880 wrote: »
    Ordered set of tplink plugs for 28 sterlings. Got to checkout and Amazon added a "customs deposit" that brought the price up to 30 sterling. I ordered anyway as I desperately need them and cant get to a Currys due to lockdown. The plugs cleared customs and are now in Ireland. Im curious do I expect to get refunded the difference?

I know its only 2 sterling but I need to make a few more orders that cost a bit more and would like to know if people have been getting refunded the difference on this customs deposit?

You won't get refunded anything. The plugs cleared customs because you already paid the Irish VAT to Amazon ("customs deposit").

Actually, what exactly is it that you think you should be refunded? Maybe I misunderstand.

You won't get refunded anything. The plugs cleared customs because you already paid the Irish VAT to Amazon ("customs deposit").

Hmm.. ok maybe my maths isnt what it used to be. UK vat is 20%. Ireland vat is 21%. I would be expecting a difference of 28p converted to euro. Why the extra 1.72 sterling?

Hmm.. ok maybe my maths isnt what it used to be. UK vat is 20%. Ireland vat is 21%. I would be expecting a difference of 28p converted to euro. Why the extra 1.72 sterling?

Was there shipping involved? You'll pay Irish VAT on that too.

Are they the exact amounts? (28 and 30 pounds)

Was this item sold and fulfilled by Amazon, or was there another seller and then just fulfilled by Amazon?

You'd really need to be looking at the actual breakdown of what Amazon charged (it should be in your invoice) to see what's going on.

Was there shipping involved? You'll pay Irish VAT on that too.

Are they the exact amounts? (28 and 30 pounds)

Was this item sold and fulfilled by Amazon, or was there another seller and then just fulfilled by Amazon?

You'd really need to be looking at the actual breakdown of what Amazon charged (it should be in your invoice) to see what's going on.

I figured it out. There was a free shipping promotion which took 6 sterling off the total price BUT Irish VAT was calculated and added BEFORE the 6 sterling was deducted for free delivery. Is that the way its gona be now after brexit? Seems like utter bollox to be honest.

I figured it out. There was a free shipping promotion which took 6 sterling off the total price BUT Irish VAT was calculated and added BEFORE the 6 sterling was deducted for free delivery. Is that the way its gona be now after brexit? Seems like utter bollox to be honest.

Yeah, that's the way it works.

If you have Prime, you get real free shipping - shipping doesn't factor at all in your transaction in any way.

If you don't, but the product has "free" shipping, you still get charged the VAT on the shipping. The discount is only for the non-VAT portion of the gross shipping cost.

Doesn't make much sense to me (I'm sure someone has the explanation, I assume it's to do with VAT rules), but that's the way it is.

Yeah, that's the way it works.

If you have Prime, you get real free shipping - shipping doesn't factor at all in your transaction in any way.

If you don't, but the product has "free" shipping, you still get charged the VAT on the shipping. The discount is only for the non-VAT portion of the gross shipping cost.

Doesn't make much sense to me (I'm sure someone has the explanation, I assume it's to do with VAT rules), but that's the way it is.

Unless Im going mad this was not the way Amazon worked before brexit. Yes you would have had slightly higher VAT to pay Irish rates but any free shipping promotion was not included in the VAT calculation for Irish VAT.

So Amazon and Irish government getting a win win here. Amazon get paid if you get prime. Ireland get extra VAT if you dont have prime. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I still use Amazon.co.uk. With regards to the Customs Border, initially there was some teething problems in January. However, since I haven’t noticed any differences, only that some of my parcels have customs labels.

We are not charged customs in NI. My parcels have all arrived within two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Just got a refund of £42 re Import Fees Deposit on a January order totalling £380.

The £380 was the same price I would have paid before 1 January.

Advertisement