Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV - DIY Install - Advise please .. !

Options
  • 25-11-2020 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking about installing a POE security system (Jennov) in my home...I'm a total novice however...!

My issue is that my house is built approx 8 years and i didn't have the foresight to run empty conduit from my main living room area (where router is) on the ground floor....to my attic space.

Currently I have no way of running Ethernet cables (don't want beading on walls & have concrete floor slab) from my router to my attic space where the CCTV camera cables will be run. Also I don't want a WIFI system.

I'm wondering if the below approach would work?

- Connect the NVR via Ethernet cable to the router in living room
    - Connect the 4 POE cameras and run cables in attic
    - Drill a hole from the attic into a walk in wardrobe shelf on the second floor
    - Feed the 4 Ethernet cables through the ceiling from the attic into the wardrobe shelf
    - Connect the 4 Ethernet cables into a POE switch
    - Connect the POE switch into a TP Link Ethernet over power adapter to gain access to my home network (the other adapter would be plugged into the router downstairs in the living room. )

Do you guys think that approach would work? Thanks in advance for any insight received !

[* I could have the POE Ethernet switch in the attic...and run one cable to the walk in wardrobe but id rather have nothing that may pose a potential fire risk out of site in my attic ]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dotty145

Hey just wondering did this work out for you???
    Thinking of doing the same but can’t find any info

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Run cable from router to attic, have equipment in attic seems okay to me? Provided equipment is kept cool all cabling could run from attic, feed from router, not ideal having one exposed cable on

Hard to comment without seeing, knowing more.

Ideally like I mentioned if you have a cable from router to attic or any spot in house that it is secure and someone cannot cut it to disable that one feed, that said however, the main 'router' feed isn't really needed as recording is to the DVR/NVR and once that is secure your okay. However cables will be needed to run from this device to cameras, some type of POE CAT X cable can do this or the BNC style thin net will do.

Equipment can be hosted in attic if you can/make sure it runs cool.

The DVR/NVR has self running software that runs over a port that you can access via IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dotty145

Ok I have a Ethernet cable internally routed into the attic.

I bought a cctv wifi system with nvr (no Poe) ports, just wondering if I connected the camera to a poe switcher would the signal come from the switcher then or still the camera,

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

dotty145 wrote: »
    Ok I have a Ethernet cable internally routed into the attic.

I bought a cctv wifi system with nvr (no Poe) ports, just wondering if I connected the camera to a poe switcher would the signal come from the switcher then or still the camera,

Is there a connection from the switch to the DVR and are they on the same IP network? And camera is IP capable and DVR is IP aware?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rugger13

Hi dotty145...ye its working fine.

I have all 4 ethernet cables that run my cameras coming thru my attic into my walk in wardrobe. Turns out my POE system cant be used with a POE switch so I just have them all connected to the POE ports on my DVR/NVR in the walk in wardrobe.

The DVR/NVR is then plugged into a TP Link Ethernet over power adapter which allows me to access my home network.

I have a spare monitor that i can plug into the DVR/NVR if I ever needed it..but the system has an app that i have on my phone that works just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

Bit late to the party but something like this might be of some use to people with cable issues: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa8630p-kit/

Advertisement