Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People not accepting gifts or presents

Options
  • 29-05-2020 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

When a person doesn’t accept a present saying your too kind or I don’t deserve that and refuses. I respond saying no you are worth it take it. And they refuse again then I respond again etc. At what point should the person stop. And should it be the person giving the present or person accepting present.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You have to say “ah go on go on go on go on” because that was in Father Ted 20 odd years ago and is therefore gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Stop before the police arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Arghus wrote: »
    Stop before the police arrive.

Only thing they can arrest me for is being too goddam pretty

Just regift it to someone who will appreciate it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Not accepting a gift graciously can be a horrible habbit, the wild expressions of false modesty make them look a bit innane and make you feel a bit like an idiot for having bothered.

I've given you a present, don't make me massage your ego with "you ARE worth it!!" etc for 5 mins too.

I wish people would just thanks , its lovely... even if it's not sincere. :)

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    You have to say “ah go on go on go on go on” because that was in Father Ted 20 odd years ago and is therefore gas.

What if it wasn’t gas. And turned out to be oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

nails1 wrote: »
    What if it wasn’t gas. And turned out to be oil.

That’s weak. If your gifts are as sh*te as your jokes, no wonder people don’t want them.

That’s weak. If your gifts are as sh*te as your jokes, no wonder people don’t want them.

My presents are wrapped in fancy shiny paper so people don’t know what they are when they’re refusing them. So they don’t know if they’re **** presents or not

• Registered Users Posts: 18,894 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

nails1 wrote: »
    When a person doesn’t accept a present saying your too kind or I don’t deserve that and refuses. I respond saying no you are worth it take it. And they refuse again then I respond again etc. At what point should the person stop. And should it be the person giving the present or person accepting present.

You're supposed to refuse 2 times and except on the 3rd attempt, so I always stop offering after 2 goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

We run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas, and we save £200 a year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Not accepting a gift graciously can be a horrible habbit, the wild expressions of false modesty make them look a bit innane and make you feel a bit like an idiot for having bothered.

I've given you a present, don't make me massage your ego with "you ARE worth it!!" etc for 5 mins too.

I wish people would just thanks , its lovely... even if it's not sincere. :)
    Exactly. Something like " Oh thanks very much, thats very decent of you" and no more bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

After the third time just hop it off their stupid fat head, especially if you were thoughtful and kind enough to get them a snooker ball in a sock. Then go for a pint. No use being a damn fool about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I always find getting angry and threatening violence works everytime however you have to consider that if a person refuses a gift 3 or 4 times that the gift is most likely Shiite and no one would want it and you should ask them what they would prefer instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Some people gift but attach obligation to the gift. I don't like receiving "gifts" from these people. I'm not a gift type person, generally and I don't like to feel obligated to reciprocate.

A gift in thanks for something, I appreciate and like but please don't buy me something for my birthday, or such, and expect me to do the same. I'd much rather not receive the gift.

I've known people who are big into buying big gifts but who also expect the same in return. I find this slightly aggressive and bullish behaviour.

Advertisement