Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Grants if your in a UK college?

• 04-07-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I am considering going to Edinbrugh uni in the UK next year for undergraduate course and i was just wondering if i would get the same financial assistance i would if i was in Ireland. I am in a very low income household (single parent etc.) and without the CC or VEC assistance i would not be able to pursue this option. Annybody know if they will pay towards my reg. / tuition fee's as they would in an Irish uni? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

stainluss wrote: »
    I am considering going to Edinbrugh uni in the UK next year for undergraduate course and i was just wondering if i would get the same financial assistance i would if i was in Ireland. I am in a very low income household (single parent etc.) and without the CC or VEC assistance i would not be able to pursue this option. Annybody know if they will pay towards my reg. / tuition fee's as they would in an Irish uni? Cheers

tuition fees and mainteaqnance grant they will pay. donegald does anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

From my dealing with Dublin city council they DONT pay your tuition fee's (they say this on their grant forms) so i dont know why other city councils would be different and pay your tuition fee's and maintenance grants, you should get the maintenance grant though as long as your/parental/guardian income is below a certain amount

Check my posts here and here for info and links which you might find handy

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

Hey!

I'm transferring to Herriot-Watt in Edinburgh in September. My local VEC will pay for my grant, and as far as I know its the same amounts as if I was studying in ireland.

However with regards your tuition fees, have a look at this web site. Its a scottish web site where you have to apply to have your tuition fees paid for. As far as i know this is only availabe to students who want to study in scotland, but all the info that you need is on it anyways.

Make sure to apply to UCAS early!!!! To transfer (as in my case) I had to apply through them, unlike here in ireland where you apply to the college directly for a transfer. As well as this the UCAS deadline for applications (for most colleges) is earlier than CAO, this year is was the 17th of january, I realsied this on the 15th. The form is a bit long and you have to get a reference and write a short paragraph about why a college should chose you, so give yourself time to get things sorted out!!!

Best of Luck!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭crinkley

you wont get your fees paid unfortunetly use this site for more information but you should still get the grant and if your from a single parent familt you should get the higher grant of €6000

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/higher_education_grants_scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭madmac187

Hi i am accepting a place in Queens in University and I am wondering can I avail of a grant from the North of Ireland. I have completed a four year degree in the South of Ireland. Now I am doing a masters, I have tried here but I won't get it can I apply in the north??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭crinkley

madmac187 wrote: »
    Hi i am accepting a place in Queens in University and I am wondering can I avail of a grant from the North of Ireland. I have completed a four year degree in the South of Ireland. Now I am doing a masters, I have tried here but I won't get it can I apply in the north??

Are you sure? I did four years here and got the grant and I've just accepted a place in Queens and I'm getting a grant. Is is another undergrad you're doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭madmac187

Yeah tried but live at home and income is too good of the parents despite known of them not working!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 StradBally

Stainluss

SAAS - http://www.saas.gov.uk/ -pay your tuition fees. Your local authority will provide means tested maintenance grant.

Getting in to Edinburgh is tough. Medicine/Vetinary/Law etc is the same as Ireland - you need to be a straight A student. There is also huge competition for Arts/Humanities courses there - check the Edinburgh University forum on The Student Room - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Beautiful city and the George Square campus is in a super area of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

madmac187 wrote: »
    Yeah tried but live at home and income is too good of the parents despite known of them not working!!!

There isn't any grant funding at postgrad level in NI akin to the maintenance/fees arrangement in ROI. Try the uni/faculty directly for bursaries/scholarships. DEL does offer some subject-specific funding but I am fairly sure there are residency requirements.

Probably best to check contact the school secretary or admissions to see if they can point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 StradBally

This info was on the University of Leeds website - this entitlement must therefore apply for all English and Welsh Universities/Colleges and presumably for those in Northern Ireland. It doesn't apply to Scottish Universities/Colleges, fees are paid by SAAS.

EU students

Full-time EU Undergraduate students
    As a full-time EU undergraduate student you can apply for the tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. This loan will cover the costs of your fees and you will not need to repay this loan until after you have left university and are earning over £15,000 per year. An EU student would not be entitled to UK government support for living costs (maintenance grant, maintenance loan).

Part-time EU Undergraduate students
    Part-time students pay reduced tuition fees and can apply through the EU team at the Student Loan Company for a tuition fee loan to cover some of the fees. EU students are not eligible for UK government support for maintenance or living costs.

For more information on EU student funding visit the Student Loan Company EU Team website, or contact them at:

The EU Customer Services Team
    Room 38
    Mowden Hall
    Staindrop Road
    Darlington
    County Durham
    DL3 9BG

Email: EU_Team@slc.co.uk
    Web: www.studentfinancedirect.co.uk/EU

Tel: 0141 2433570 (10am to 4pm)

• Advertisement
Advertisement