Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pcie 8 pin power query

Options
  • 12-07-2020 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

I am upgrading the graphics card on one of my Pc's as it doesnt support 4k but I notice that the Power Supply doesn't have an 8 pin Pcie power connector.

Its an Arctic Power 500 psu .
    It comes with a 4 pin Molex to 6 pin adapter .

I'm thinking of getting an adapter like this to use but I'm unsure how effective it would be
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002E4V414/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    There are 3 4 pin molex peripheral connectors on the PSU but they are all on the same cable ,kind of daisy chained ,which is a bit unusual.
    From what I've read I need 2 seperate molex cables to connect to the adapter.

The current PC setup is a Tomahawk B350, a Ryzen 1700x , and 32GB of Ram .
    The graphics card is old and doesn't require extra power.

I'm probably going to get an XT 5700 but might get an RX580.

Would I be better off getting a new power supply or would the adapter do the job ?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

As good as Arctic's fans & coolers are, I don't think they've ever made a good PSU.

Especially for a power-hungry GPU like RX 5700 XT (and especially since your CPU is 1700X) I would pick up a decent 600W+ PSU, e.g. be quiet 600W

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Zardoz

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    As good as Arctic's fans & coolers are, I don't think they've ever made a good PSU.

Especially for a power-hungry GPU like RX 5700 XT (and especially since your CPU is 1700X) I would pick up a decent 600W+ PSU, e.g. be quiet 600W

Thanks .

I have the 500w version of that Be Quiet PSU in another PC ,very impressed with it .

I just realised that the 5700XT requires 2 power cables, 1x 6-pin + 1x 8-pin power connector.
    No chance of the Arctic supporting that whatever about something like the RX580.

I will order the 600w version now so .

Advertisement