Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission for window on room overlooking another house....

Options
  • 29-11-2019 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I know somebody who owns a rental property. There are two bedrooms in the house but one of the bedrooms doesnt have a window. They were going to sell the house but apparently the 2nd bedroom has to be classed a study (even though its a bedroom) for some fire safety reason I think. There are only a handful of houses in that estate and everyone has always sold as a 2 bed so I am not sure why this is an issue now .

But is it simply a case that a window needs to be installed in the bedroom to fullfill that safety requirement and if so what are you looking at from a price and/or planning permission point of view?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Drumpot wrote: »
    Hi,

I know somebody who owns a rental property. There are two bedrooms in the house but one of the bedrooms doesnt have a window. They were going to sell the house but apparently the 2nd bedroom has to be classed a study (even though its a bedroom) for some fire safety reason I think. There are only a handful of houses in that estate and everyone has always sold as a 2 bed so I am not sure why this is an issue now .

But is it simply a case that a window needs to be installed in the bedroom to fullfill that safety requirement and if so what are you looking at from a price and/or planning permission point of view?

The room without a window is not a bedroom. Full
    Stop. Doesn’t matter what they use it as, it’s not a bedroom as it doesn’t comply with building regulations.

You need a suitably sized escape/rescue window.
    You could consider if there are any exemptions available for the window depending on its position, orientation and distance to boundary.

You’ll also have to check the original planning as if it restricts it to a one bed into then you can’t enjoy the exemption and will need planning permission for the new window.

Price for an application depends on who you use and where in the country you are. €1500-€2500 is a throw out beer mat guess price.

Get 3 local prices to real life compare.

Advertisement