Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loose fill insulation DIY?

• 25-11-2019 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi we recently had our cavity pumped with ecobeads but the house remains cold, we are a semi detached house with the first floor stepping in 1m above our sitting room to the front, this is then covered with a lean to roof that projects 1m from property, therefor there is a 2 m lean of roof to the front of the property.
    I suspect that the ceiling of the sitting room is left exposed within that small roof without insulation and this is the reason for the room being so cold. The ground floor has a twin leaf with brick finish, this is where we pumped the insulation between cavity however the first floor is a cavity block with insulated slab internally and dry dash finish externally, when I removed the soffit from our lean to roof I noticed the builders continued above the brick wall with cement blocks approx two high, I believe the purpose of this was to rest the rafters midway, as a result of this we cannot gain access into the ceiling area of the sitting room behind without causing some destruction. I believe the easiest way to insulate this area is to blow in some bead insulation, the area is just under 1m x 3m x 300mm high so don't think a contractor would come to fill such a small space. Can you rent out the pump needed and buy the loose fill insulation yourself? I not sure if it is technically designed for this type of insulation but seeing as it is covering such a small area it appeals to me the most.
    Anybody any ideas or suppliers for this type of job?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Beads are not designed for roof spaces.

Rafters need ventilation.

So you don't want disruption internally - appreciate its painful but what about stripping the tiles & felt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

pamweld wrote: »
    Hi we recently had our cavity pumped with ecobeads but the house remains cold, we are a semi detached house with the first floor stepping in 1m above our sitting room to the front, this is then covered with a lean to roof that projects 1m from property, therefor there is a 2 m lean of roof to the front of the property.
    I suspect that the ceiling of the sitting room is left exposed within that small roof without insulation and this is the reason for the room being so cold. The ground floor has a twin leaf with brick finish, this is where we pumped the insulation between cavity however the first floor is a cavity block with insulated slab internally and dry dash finish externally, when I removed the soffit from our lean to roof I noticed the builders continued above the brick wall with cement blocks approx two high, I believe the purpose of this was to rest the rafters midway, as a result of this we cannot gain access into the ceiling area of the sitting room behind without causing some destruction. I believe the easiest way to insulate this area is to blow in some bead insulation, the area is just under 1m x 3m x 300mm high so don't think a contractor would come to fill such a small space. Can you rent out the pump needed and buy the loose fill insulation yourself? I not sure if it is technically designed for this type of insulation but seeing as it is covering such a small area it appeals to me the most.
    Anybody any ideas or suppliers for this type of job?

First question I'd want answered is "is the lack of insulation my main problem?" You suspect it might be but I wouldn't be too sure.

What's your air tightness like?

Advertisement