Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draught proofing

Options
  • 01-12-2019 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi
    I'm looking to get some professional draught proofing done in my house, particularly windows and floor areas as I suspect I'm losing heat this way.
    Looking to do the smaller home improvement jobs before taking on bigger tasks like new boiler, upgrading windows, etc.
    Anyone have experience of a good draught proofing company ? Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

If you google draught proofing on Amazon you'll fine plenty of products and videos for a DIY job. Could save you a few pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Rooster86 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm looking to get some professional draught proofing done in my house, particularly windows and floor areas as I suspect I'm losing heat this way.
    Looking to do the smaller home improvement jobs before taking on bigger tasks like new boiler, upgrading windows, etc.
    Anyone have experience of a good draught proofing company ? Thanks a mill

In homes with drywall, it can be mad how powerful the draughts that come underneath the window boards are, often you can feel nothing but there is almighty ones hitting the drywall making anti radiator. These could be fixed for free to few hundred if you have the skill and materials. The payback is going to off the charts compared to new new windows.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

In homes with drywall, it can be mad how powerful the draughts that come underneath the window boards are, often you can feel nothing but there is almighty ones hitting the drywall making anti radiator. These could be fixed for free to few hundred if you have the skill and materials. The payback is going to off the charts compared to new new windows.

Rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

BryanF wrote: »
    Rubbish

Had it with mine , they never filled the cavity with foam.

Rubbish

LOL. Payback of new windows can take decades. That isnt a controversial point. Some not all houses have easy to fix draught issues. Much better to fix that first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Apologies I re-read your post. What you propose is what I’d do in the OPs case,

If the house is dry-lined, the sealing the window boards will only address a small part of the issue

Ever plasterboard junction & hole in the building envelope, needs to be considered. In my experience it’s next to impossible to eliminate drafts where drylining has an underlining air-leakage/draft problem.

The right job is to remove the boards and reinsulate, membrane and re-board. But that’s Not for everyone

Apologies I re-read your post. What you propose is what I’d do in the OPs case,

If the house is dry-lined, the sealing the window boards will only address a small part of the issue

Ever plasterboard junction & hole in the building envelope, needs to be considered. In my experience it’s next to impossible to eliminate drafts where drylining has an underlining air-leakage/draft problem.

The right job is to remove the boards and reinsulate, membrane and re-board. But that’s Not for everyone

Interesting. Where do you put the membrane? I had a big gap under the window and the block and its hidden by the dry wall. I made a test hole three inches across and plugged the gap as a experimental measure with cement and now the plasterboard is about 3 c warmer so I want to open the whole thing, take out the boards and do it comprehensively. Not sure if I should use cavity closers yet.

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Had it with mine , they never filled the cavity with foam.

Did you use expanding foam to close the cavity and did you remove the windows while doing this? I am not sure if removing the windows would help but I was told that it would help if installing a conventional propriety cavity closers.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Did you use expanding foam to close the cavity and did you remove the windows while doing this? I am not sure if removing the windows would help but I was told that it would help if installing a conventional propriety cavity closers.

I took out the plaster around the window and could see to the concrete on external wall, filled with expanding foam, then plastered it back up. It would be better to have them refitted but in my circumstance I would say the difference is negligible.

Advertisement