Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 205: Alvarez v McGregor (Event Discussion) - FAQ's in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Alvarez via Decision
    dashoonage wrote: »
    Joannnnaaa! sticking the head in there :P
    Seems to have rattled Karolina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

McGregor via Decision
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand how you can look at that press conference and say that Alvarez is rattled but Conor isn't. His attitude for the whole presser was awful. He seems of a different mentality to previous fight. His press conferences used to be calculated but now they're terrible.

And I also don't see how Alvarez saying **** this when McGregor wasn't there. Why should he take Qs whilst McG isn't there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

McGregor via Decision
    Just watched Alvarez's win over Pettis, very underwhelming. Professional, disciplined, but barely got the decision. An ugly boring grind of a fight. But my was it worth it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

McGregor via Submission
    People said he was rattled before the second Diaz fight too, he was clearly emotional after getting removed for throwing cans but he came in on fight night and was all business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thought Eddie was horrendous there in the presser. Just awful. Looked like he was wanting to explode in a fit of rage or burst into tears, I can't decide which. It surprised me a bit because he was okay in the one a few weeks back but the occasion does seem to be getting to him based on that.

All signs at the moment point to him doing exactly what McGregor wants him to do - come out swinging on Saturday night.

So far, so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Cw72S-OWgAAHquk.jpg:large

Take the tag off your fur coat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Alvarez via Submission
    There will be lads in Penneys womens sections tomorrow looking for fur coats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gintonious wrote: »

Haha! Nah, leave it, f-f-f-fresh! :D

Alvarez via Submission

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

McGregor via Decision
    Gintonious wrote: »
    Cw72S-OWgAAHquk.jpg:large

He's in NYC, he's just taking a leaf out of Broadway Joe's book
    1503.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Is the tag thing true? Someone said it earlier, McGregor didn't look happy about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

"I think he stole it" - funny from Eddie to be fair. He was a lot more comfortable in the television segment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Paully D wrote: »
    "I think he stole it" - funny from Eddie to be fair. He was a lot more comfortable in the television segment.

Yeah definitely seemed to get under Conors skin there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

ahaha ****in gas all round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

McGregor via Decision

Was there more after the presser?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Another press conference, another stunt from a good showman and businessman.

This was staged no doubt about it.

1) To boost PPV numbers and interest which is a proven technique
    2) To coincide with the release of McGregors new Emoji app selling shortly at $2.49

Dana, McGregor and Alvarez are laughing all the way to the bank. The interest in the comments from Alvarez were huge on social media. People were routed to McGregors and his gf Dee Devlins instagram pages where they had the new emojis up within moments of the press conference finishing. An utter stunt from start to finish. Well played all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor via Decision
    Ok I want to watch the fight but I'll be at a friend's place who doesn't have BT sports or a Sky Box/ satellite box. Can I sign up for the pay per view on a once off basis, is that possible, or do you have to have BT Sports?

Is there a way to book the fight online to watch it live streaming online while in Dublin?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, didn't have time to read through all the rules etc.

Do you know what time the McGregor fight will be at?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor via Decision
    Ok I want to watch the fight but I'll be at a friend's place who doesn't have BT sports or a Sky Box/ satellite box. Can I sign up for the pay per view on a once off basis, is that possible, or do you have to have BT Sports?

Is there a way to book the fight online to watch it live streaming online while in Dublin?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, didn't have time to read through all the rules etc.

Try reading the first post...clue is in the title of the thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

McGregor via Decision
    Lukker- wrote: »
    You think he should be fined 350k for being 10 minutes late?

You should replace Pat Lundvall as the NSAC commissioner!

The fine should be a percentage of pay rather than a flat fee.
    If you are on higher pay then your fine is higher, fair system.

He's late every time, its unprofessional and disrespectful to the UFC, to the other fighters, to the media and to the fans.
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    He won't show up at all then, he will just say '**** it'.

Then his fine goes up to 20%.

mdwexford wrote: »
    The fine should be a percentage of pay rather than a flat fee.
    If you are on higher pay then your fine is higher, fair system.

He's late every time, its unprofessional and disrespectful to the UFC, to the other fighters, to the media and to the fans.

Then his fine goes up to 20%.

How can you fine someone for being late to their own show?

This is his show nobody would be watching that presser,in fact half these pressers they have wouldn't be happening if it wasn't for Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision

fuckin benavidez :D:D

Alvarez via Submission
    Cw3Dj8XVQAAQgBA.jpg

Cw3DmQhUUAA8RNX.jpg

Eddie shoots Conor scores.

Hahah even McGregor laughed at that.

Possibly the only decent thing he's said... took him a while to get to it tho...

He's definitely more comfortable when McGregor isn't around him. Which is a massive plus for McGregor...

newbbieb wrote: »
    Yeah definitely seemed to get under Conors skin there.

Don't think he did at all. McGregor looked calm and collected... Only sorta exchanged verbals when Eddie's suit was brought up, which I have to say the fact that McGregor's only showing of emotion was pity over a bad suit was hilarious.. I admit I did laugh a bit at that. It is a terrible suit! :pac:

Gamebred wrote: »
    Cw3Dj8XVQAAQgBA.jpg

Cw3DmQhUUAA8RNX.jpg

Eddie shoots Conor scores.

You can really see why Eddie is such a good shooter. Look at the level he's at and where is knees are, also the absolute size of his lats and shoulders... He's a lifting machine.

He literally has no legs to speak of. I hope McGregor uses everything in his arsenal to keep him at bay and control the octagon. Expect to see plenty of bouncing back and kicks to keep the reach.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I was at the presser and the immediate thing I said to everyone around me is that it was completely staged. The thing with the chair, that was hanging over Conor's head for a good 3 seconds before anyone intervened. If he wanted to hit Eddie with it then he would have.

Also, if Eddie was that pissed off when he walked off, there wouldn't be a picture of him relaxing on the UFC Twitter. Staged from start to finish.

I wouldn't say Eddie's rattled at all either. He know the fans are going to boo him so he's playing the villain. He got just as much of a response from the crowd as Conor did. Conor was able to feed off that then.

They've both played this one very well. I'm looking forward to this fight even more now.

Also, the TV segment showed both fighters listed at 5'9".... In me hole! McGregor is clearly the taller man, by a good couple of inches atleast.

Faugheen wrote: »
    I was at the presser and the immediate thing I said to everyone around me is that it was completely staged. The thing with the chair, that was hanging over Conor's head for a good 3 seconds before anyone intervened. If he wanted to hit Eddie with it then he would have.

Also, if Eddie was that pissed off when he walked off, there wouldn't be a picture of him relaxing on the UFC Twitter. Staged from start to finish.

I wouldn't say Eddie's rattled at all either. He know the fans are going to boo him so he's playing the villain. He got just as much of a response from the crowd as Conor did. Conor was able to feed off that then.

They've both played this one very well. I'm looking forward to this fight even more now.

Don't believe it was staged at all. Far too obvious, and no, occam's razor doesn't apply...

He obviously didn't want to look like a chump so he walked off. But he obviously didn't want to be looked as a coward, so he waited for McGregor.

McGregor said afterwards he held the chair that long cuz he had flashbacks to the Nevada incident and didn't want to put himself through that again, so he pretty much put the chair down himself.

Everyone always assumes these things are staged, but the thing for me that says it isn't is guys like Eddie, Nate, Aldo etc., are all great fighters but aren't showmen. They wouldn't know how to do the whole WWE act and make it look honest.

Eddie was obviously wound up tonight. That wasn't play acting.

Eddie trying to convince himself that he has McGregor rattled and that what he did had any effect on Conor whatsoever.

My guess is that deep down inside, despite what he's convincing himself of, he knows he has been owned thus far and he will be desperate to win the fight and make up for being dominated in the public media exchanges.

• Advertisement

Just watched the melee when Conor arrived, as soon as Eddie tossed the chair, Conor's the one who's going nuts and Eddies just standing there while Conor's being ragdolled by Dana and the security guy.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon Conor has this in the bag, but the pair of them put on a show today and sold a huge number of PPVs

McGregor via Decision
    newbbieb wrote: »
    How can you fine someone for being late to their own show?

This is his show nobody would be watching that presser,in fact half these pressers they have wouldn't be happening if it wasn't for Conor.

It's not his show.

The UFC existed and was successful before Conor and it will be again after him.

Alvarez via Submission
    It's not his show.

Thats true, but not as successful at least ppv wise.

McGregor via Submission
    It's not his show.

He brings at least a million PPV's all by himself. The company needs him after such a big takeover, what other stars could they use to push a record breaking year, honestly?

Just watched the melee when Conor arrived, as soon as Eddie tossed the chair, Conor's the one who's going nuts and Eddies just standing there while Conor's being ragdolled by Dana and the security guy.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon Conor has this in the bag, but the pair of them put on a show today and sold a huge number of PPVs

We'll agree to disagree, but that's not how I see it.

McGregor loves a bit of 'hold me back!' ruction type stuff. Reminds me of the Aldo confrontation when he hoped the fence, could've reached Aldo but waited til someone held him back. Didn't seem put on at all, but he knew what he was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

McGregor via KO/TKO
    I was thinking about doing Alvarez by sub today 5/1 but couldn't bring myself to do it.

That mink coat has changed my mind.

McGregor via Submission
    .ak wrote: »

McGregor loves a bit of 'hold me back!' ruction type stuff. Reminds me of the Aldo confrontation when he hoped the fence, could've reached Aldo but waited til someone held him back. Didn't seem put on at all, but he knew what he was doing.

He's selling wolf tickets

Fighting outside of the octagon is pointless and will get fined, Conor is a business man primarily and he knows this.

.ak wrote: »

I should clarify that I don't think Conor's rattled by any means, just in case.

Alvarez via Submission
    He's selling wolf tickets

Fighting outside of the octagon is pointless and will get fined, Conor is a business man primarily and he knows this.

And people buy them every single time,the on stage Conor to the one you meet on the street couldnt be more different, he cant come out and say its a gimmick till hes retired.

• Advertisement

It's not his show.

Yeah it existed off course and was successful but these pantomime pressers didn't really exist before Conor,they put most of these on purely to have Conor come out and do his thing to hype the event.

You think the media will be packed out waiting there if it was to ask Woodley or Wonderboy questions?

I should clarify that I don't think Conor's rattled by any means, just in case.

Ah yeah, I know you weren't. I just don't believe it was staged.

But I do believe, as per usual, there's a bit of sportmanship/acting up from McGregor.

McGregor via Decision
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Thats true, but not as successful at least ppv wise.
    He brings at least a million PPV's all by himself. The company needs him after such a big takeover, what other stars could they use to push a record breaking year, honestly?

Without a doubt, he may end up being the biggest star the UFC ever see and their bottom line will take a big hit when he calls it a day but regardless the show goes on without him.

Alvarez via Submission
    The biggest losers will be the media when hes gone, him alone is keeping these lads in the money with all the click bait and big events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Decision
    Anybody thinking "it's staged" needs to give themselves a good talking to.

Do you honestly, hand on your heart, think Conor is texting Eddie telling him what to do? Or allowing Dana White to 'stage' something?

Not a prayer.

What happened is very easy to explain. Much like Nate did, Eddie had it in his head if Conor was late that he'd bounce and, unlike Nate, he'd return.

Kea (Dana's long-time bodyguard) picked Conor up one handed and dragged him off-stage. You can pull muscles being yanked around like that.

It WAS "staged" in the sense that Eddie had a plan in his head of what he was going to do. Conors reactions were just himself. He sat back down until Eddie threw the chair behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement

Alvarez via Submission
    https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/290673904421322753

He's been saying 1 round 3 years now,get the money on 1st round lads.

Staged my ballbag, Eddie couldn't make it look convincing that he was ignoring Conor and focusing on his phone never mind fool an audience into believing anything else that happened. Conor's a whirlwind, everyone else just hangs on and waits for it to blow over and don't get sucked in if you can avoid it, he knows how to make a show but as for any of it being pre-scripted other than an idea in Conor's head of what he'll do for some devilment? Not a chance.

xtal191 wrote: »

When the presser was on it was some indictment of the difference between the earnings of the fighters where Woodley the WW champ was sitting videotaping the FW champs antics,just so he could post it on his social media to garner some extra hits/revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,569 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hilarious that Alvarez grabbed the wrong belt.

Alvarez via Submission
    If you compare this press conference to the one a few week ago its night and day, Eddie done ok last time wasnt flustered soon as he was left up there on his own today he knew he couldnt handle fronting it all fielding questions with Conor not there I think he lost face coming back he should've done a Nate answered till Conor arrives then leave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement