Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballinglanna, Glanmire, Cork

Options
  • 12-10-2020 5:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

New development of approximately 600 houses and a small retail development being built at the moment outside Glanmire Cork.

https://www.ballinglanna.ie/

Just wondering what people's thoughts are about the development etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

My best buddy bought one of phase 2 houses. They've moved in and all, delighted with the place.

Went to see it the other day, it's gorgeous. Great space, spec, views... The only problem is they're still building around the neighbourhood. They say you can't hear it until you step outside. The insulation is top.

Excellent value and grand location within spitting distance of the motorway.

I looked myself when I got home to see houses were left but they're getting snapped up fairly fast and I couldn't get the type we wanted, disappointingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

s1ippy wrote: »
    My best buddy bought one of phase 2 houses. They've moved in and all, delighted with the place.

Went to see it the other day, it's gorgeous. Great space, spec, views... The only problem is they're still building around the neighbourhood. They say you can't hear it until you step outside. The insulation is top.

Excellent value and grand location within spitting distance of the motorway.

I looked myself when I got home to see houses were left but they're getting snapped up fairly fast and I couldn't get the type we wanted, disappointingly.

Is your friend's home, that you say is well insulated detached or semi detached or terraced or what? I'd love to know what the insulation is like in regards to sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I just hope the council steps up with its obligations and provides the footpaths and cycle paths to and from the development like is planned shortly. They have left other developments in similar locations around the city stranded for decades without connecting paths such as Matthew Hill etc.

The houses look well though , seems like a nice development. But for the prices the new builds are going for at the moment they would want to be top class.

I just hope the council steps up with its obligations and provides the footpaths and cycle paths to and from the development like is planned shortly. They have left other developments in similar locations around the city stranded for decades without connecting paths such as Matthew Hill etc.

The houses look well though , seems like a nice development. But for the prices the new builds are going for at the moment they would want to be top class.

Do you think they're overpriced? They're quite close to the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Shoden wrote: »
    Is your friend's home, that you say is well insulated detached or semi detached or terraced or what? I'd love to know what the insulation is like in regards to sound.

Semi d, I could hear music they had playing upstairs from out on the road and I could also hear their neighbour going up the stairs. However it was incredibly warm and retained heat very well.

I checked and the detached are out of my price range. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I’ve a friend who bought in phase 1. Granted the 3 bed semis were around 315k at that stage. They said they heard for phase 4 just released they were at 350k (I presume reflecting the extra 10k from HTB)

It will be a massive estate at the end - around 600 houses in total but seems to be nicely laid out and extra roads should be built so traffic shouldn’t be an issue.

The scheme did also have the LIHAF scheme which was an extra 20k off the houses if you were approved for it on top of HTB. Around 100 houses (2-3beds) were part of this scheme but as far as I know they have all now been availed off. My friends got the LIHAF discount. They love it there.

Do you think they're overpriced? They're quite close to the city.
    I live not far away in Little Island so have a good feel for that area etc. Its a nice area and when the development is fully finished will work well. So some patience is required before judgement.

I plan on moving closer to the city in a few years time back towards where i am originally from and for similar money to Ballinglanna you would have 3-4 bed Semi around the Lough in a nice but older estate in a renovated condition - walking distance to town, UCC, CUH etc.

All the new builds are expensive at the moment though so its certainly not unique to Ballinglanna that the prices are high . The development out Kerry Pike direction has plenty of houses selling in the high 400s

I live not far away in Little Island so have a good feel for that area etc. Its a nice area and when the development is fully finished will work well. So some patience is required before judgement.

I plan on moving closer to the city in a few years time back towards where i am originally from and for similar money to Ballinglanna you would have 3-4 bed Semi around the Lough in a nice but older estate in a renovated condition - walking distance to town, UCC, CUH etc.

All the new builds are expensive at the moment though so its certainly not unique to Ballinglanna that the prices are high . The development out Kerry Pike direction has plenty of houses selling in the high 400s

And it’s the same builder in the Kerry Pike development as Ballinglanna so not surprised the prices are similar.

New builds are very expensive in surrounding areas of Cork. I don’t think you’ll get much change for 330-340k for 3 bed semi detached now.

Dolbhad wrote: »
    And it’s the same builder in the Kerry Pike development as Ballinglanna so not surprised the prices are similar.

New builds are very expensive in surrounding areas of Cork. I don’t think you’ll get much change for 330-340k for 3 bed semi detached now.

No you wouldnt get cheaper right now, more expensive if anything, and working in the construction industry myself the quality of the workmanship in some of the newbuilds can be poor . The structure of the house might be fine , but just about everything else is about getting in and out ASAP.

One of my colleagues also an engineer bought a house in a new build estate recently and snagged it himself. He presented the builder with about 400 items on the snag list and he could of had more if he was being real picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

We have just put down a deposit for Ballinglanna. Three bed semi detached at 355k, but we will be getting the full help to buy and the LIHAF which will bring us down to 305k. I won't lie getting that much off was a big factor for us, although I do think its crazy that the housing market is so expensive that the government is basically subsidising our house to the tune of 50k but I will take it!

From what we have seen so far we have been impressed and have heard good things from others, although I am nervous about the transport issues in the area. As mentioned there are plans for foothpaths, bus stops and plenty of roads so just really hoping those don't fall by the wayside. Also plans for a school on the site.

• Advertisement

We have just put down a deposit for Ballinglanna. Three bed semi detached at 355k, but we will be getting the full help to buy and the LIHAF which will bring us down to 305k. I won't lie getting that much off was a big factor for us, although I do think its crazy that the housing market is so expensive that the government is basically subsidising our house to the tune of 50k but I will take it!

From what we have seen so far we have been impressed and have heard good things from others, although I am nervous about the transport issues in the area. As mentioned there are plans for foothpaths, bus stops and plenty of roads so just really hoping those don't fall by the wayside. Also plans for a school on the site.

Best of luck , I am sure you won't be long learning about the delights of Fitzpatrick's and the super valu in Glanmire js excellent

Put a booking deposit down on a two bed town house. 265k with LIHAF and htb this should come down to 218.5k. It's a great location, just debating whether 218k is a lot for a two bed terrace.

Put a booking deposit down on a two bed town house. 265k with LIHAF and htb this should come down to 218.5k. It's a great location, just debating whether 218k is a lot for a two bed terrace.

All the new build prices are alot , the only issue with going for the 2 bed town house is losing the 10% for FTB , as the next time you purchase its a min of 20% deposit. So if you were changing within the first 5 years of the mortgage you many not have as much equity as you would like to put towards a 3bed or bigger , but its all down to personal circumstance.

The only question you really need to answer would be if you were to rent that place yourself would the cost of the rent be greater than the mortgage and at the moment the answer would be yes.

All the new build prices are alot , the only issue with going for the 2 bed town house is losing the 10% for FTB , as the next time you purchase its a min of 20% deposit. So if you were changing within the first 5 years of the mortgage you many not have as much equity as you would like to put towards a 3bed or bigger , but its all down to personal circumstance.

The only question you really need to answer would be if you were to rent that place yourself would the cost of the rent be greater than the mortgage and at the moment the answer would be yes.

Thanks for that! Yeah, I agree but unfortunately the three beds are out of my reach at the moment without exemptions being given.

Thanks for that! Yeah, I agree but unfortunately the three beds are out of my reach at the moment without exemptions being given.
    Take that as a good thing , the Irish Fascination with borrowing the maximum they are allowed amazes me, they see it as a target , and developers take full advantage.

Borrow what is affordable to repay and no-more , last thing you need to be stressing over is money. If you move to a better job or your income increases in the interim period then be strict and push it to savings so in a few years time you have a nice sum of money towards another deposit etc. Banks quite quickly change their tune when they see you can provide well beyond the minimum deposit and its all saved out of your own pocket.

Take that as a good thing , the Irish Fascination with borrowing the maximum they are allowed amazes me, they see it as a target , and developers take full advantage.

Borrow what is affordable to repay and no-more , last thing you need to be stressing over is money. If you move to a better job or your income increases in the interim period then be strict and push it to savings so in a few years time you have a nice sum of money towards another deposit etc. Banks quite quickly change their tune when they see you can provide well beyond the minimum deposit and its all saved out of your own pocket.

Don't jump to conclusions, the repayments on the exemption I'd be looking for are well well within easy repayablity for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Best of luck , I am sure you won't be long learning about the delights of Fitzpatrick's and the super valu in Glanmire js excellent

Thank you, well familiar with all glanmire has to offer in terms of food and drink, trips to supervalu kept me sane during lockdown! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

s1ippy wrote: »
    Semi d, I could hear music they had playing upstairs from out on the road and I could also hear their neighbour going up the stairs.

Is that usual on new builds? I'd have thought sound insulation would be better these days.

JohnK wrote: »
    Is that usual on new builds? I'd have thought sound insulation would be better these days.

I don't understand what they mean. As in they were outside the house and they heard someone go up and down the stairs?

Do houses have sound insulation ratings?

I'd love to know the regulations involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Found this doc from a few years back - haven't read it myself though so not sure if its of any actual use or just more of a technical doc - https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C39956%2Cen.pdf

Found this doc from a few years back - haven't read it myself though so not sure if its of any actual use or just more of a technical doc - https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C39956%2Cen.pdf

Cheers, I might ask my surveyor to have a look at that!

I can’t comment on the sound of these houses but if you are buying a new build and house has only started to be build, it’s really worth paying extra and have your engineer do a few visits as the build goes up.

About three years ago, we went sale agreed on a new build. We pulled out as in the end the location didn’t suit us for work or family. But we had an engineer (who was surveying the house attached to the one we were buying) to have a look. He had mentioned he was really happen with the noise insulation they had put in that it was more than was required under regulations.

So did give us peace of mind!

I can’t comment on the sound of these houses but if you are buying a new build and house has only started to be build, it’s really worth paying extra and have your engineer do a few visits as the build goes up.

About three years ago, we went sale agreed on a new build. We pulled out as in the end the location didn’t suit us for work or family. But we had an engineer (who was surveying the house attached to the one we were buying) to have a look. He he mention he was really happen with the noise insulation they had put in that it was more than was required under regulations.

So did give us peace of mind!

Good idea. Do they let engineers inspect the place before it's ready to snag though?

Good idea. Do they let engineers inspect the place before it's ready to snag though?

Yes they do - usually your engineer will let the site foreman know before they call. And I found builders like O Flynn have so many sites on the go in different stages, you could have an engineer snagging one house and then look at a house that’s not yet complete on the one day.

In our case the new build we had looked at so happened the neighbour was using the same solicitor so she told us who the engineer was being used there so he was looking at both houses at same time.

Yes they do - usually your engineer will let the site foreman know before they call. And I found builders like O Flynn have so many sites on the go in different stages, you could have an engineer snagging one house and then look at a house that’s not yet complete on the one day.

In our case the new build we had looked at so happened the neighbour was using the same solicitor so she told us who the engineer was being used there so he was looking at both houses at same time.

That's a great idea. Any recommendations for an engineer that would do this in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

I've a four bed semi in glanmire in decent condition. What's that worth considering three bed semis here are 355? I'm five mins walk from the super valu.

bailey99 wrote: »
    I've a four bed semi in glanmire in decent condition. What's that worth considering three bed semis here are 355? I'm five mins walk from the super valu.

Too many variables, no idea. I'd say a valuation is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Too many variables, no idea. I'd say a valuation is your best bet.

To say I'm shocked at these prices would be at understatement. 355k for three bed semi outside glanmire......... absolutely bonkers!

• Advertisement

That's a great idea. Any recommendations for an engineer that would do this in Cork?

Pm details

Advertisement