Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi multifunctional patio heater

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Like most heaters, its 100pc efficient.
    With heating, all electricity is blocked resistance which turns it into heat as the electrons smash into the other molecules.

So its less about efficient when looking at heaters. Its more about the direction of heat emanating. The durability etc.

Its 1500w so thats not a huge amount imo for an outdoor heater. I've a 2100 for inside my living room when I get cold.

Outdoor heaters usually use a fuel because huge amounts of energy are required for heating outside. Most likely aldi version is OK and and quite short range

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

manonboard wrote: »
    Like most heaters, its 100pc efficient.
    With heating, all electricity is blocked resistance which turns it into heat as the electrons smash into the other molecules.

So its less about efficient when looking at heaters. Its more about the direction of heat emanating. The durability etc.

Its 1500w so thats not a huge amount imo for an outdoor heater. I've a 2100 for inside my living room when I get cold.

Outdoor heaters usually use a fuel because huge amounts of energy are required for heating outside. Most likely aldi version is OK and and quite short range

Looks interesting. I was going to buy something like this for our patio but an electrician advised that they aren't very effective...that you can't really heat the outside without a lot of energy.. he suggested a fan heater that would blow some heat in your direction.. I picked up a small dimplex heater and it's actually quite effective.. a lot of people think it's a daft approach.. to be honest with the weather haven't really had much opportunity to sit out

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Sounds like your electrician doesnt really know what hes talking about. Radiation heat which is what generally comes out of electric outdoor heaters, (link not working for me) doesnt heat up the air but heats the surface of what it touches, ie your skin so is much more efficient than say a gas heater which heats the outside air around you and needs way way more power to heat you up and thats why uses gas. An example of this is that when you turn off a rad heater that you instantly get cold, so electric heaters are pretty efficient outside vs gas heaters. you can do a quick calculator check to see how much a 2k watt heater would cost for an hour and its minimal. Not sure why you would want to blow hot air around your garden for sounds pretty ridiculous its windy enough in Ireland as it is

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    Sounds like your electrician doesnt really know what hes talking about. Radiation heat which is what generally comes out of electric outdoor heaters, (link not working for me) doesnt heat up the air but heats the surface of what it touches, ie your skin so is much more efficient than say a gas heater which heats the outside air around you and needs way way more power to heat you up and thats why uses gas. An example of this is that when you turn off a rad heater that you instantly get cold, so electric heaters are pretty efficient outside vs gas heaters. you can do a quick calculator check to see how much a 2k watt heater would cost for an hour and its minimal. Not sure why you would want to blow hot air around your garden for sounds pretty ridiculous its windy enough in Ireland as it is

Patio is in corner with table/chairs so its actually quite effective.. i was very doubtful to be honest but the one time we did use it, it was quite good... blows heat in around the bottom of the table and heat rises..

that said i might give the aldi one a go if its effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Patio is in corner with table/chairs so its actually quite effective.. i was very doubtful to be honest but the one time we did use it, it was quite good... blows heat in around the bottom of the table and heat rises..

that said i might give the aldi one a go if its effective?

With the speaker and disco light, a bit of dancing will keep you warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Looks interesting. I was going to buy something like this for our patio but an electrician advised that they aren't very effective...that you can't really heat the outside without a lot of energy.. he suggested a fan heater that would blow some heat in your direction.. I picked up a small dimplex heater and it's actually quite effective.. a lot of people think it's a daft approach.. to be honest with the weather haven't really had much opportunity to sit out

How safe is it to use one of these outside?

Cape Clear wrote: »
    How safe is it to use one of these outside?

the aldi one? its designed for outdoor so should be fine... the fan heater... grand if its dry but obviously not a good idea in the rain... im tempted to check out the aldi one but i don't fancy getting up early saturday morning to do so

here's a similar one to the aldi version on amazon with a few reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Patio-Freestanding-Bluetooth-ZHQ1588-RDM-SPK/dp/B07F9SRSGK/ref=sr_1_15?crid=9G3HMVJ5GS0M&dchild=1&keywords=patio%2Bheater&qid=1593071123&sprefix=patio%2Bhe%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-15&th=1

They say the heat doesnt travel more that a few inches from it

Verified Purchase
    I wanted to use this to provide some warmth on cold nights when getting out of our hot tub. The amount of heat generated just doesn't transmit beyond a few inches from the unit. The areas on the unit that are labeled hot to touch aren't. I like the light because I can have different colors which is nicer than just a porch light but the speaker is also kind of anemic. I think this would work best in a partially enclosed outdoor space and maybe if it is left on for several hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

the aldi one? its designed for outdoor so should be fine... the fan heater... grand if its dry but obviously not a good idea in the rain... im tempted to check out the aldi one but i don't fancy getting up early saturday morning to do so

The one you are currently using.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    The one you are currently using.

Safe enough when dry.. I used again last night for half hour.. one thing to watch for is the wattage.. at say 3500 watts you need a heavy duty extension lead with 13amp fuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭This is it

Safe enough when dry.. I used again last night for half hour.. one thing to watch for is the wattage.. at say 3500 watts you need a heavy duty extension lead with 13amp fuse

At full blast you're pushing 15A+ on 3500w

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ParkyJiSung

here's a similar one to the aldi version on amazon with a few reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Patio-Freestanding-Bluetooth-ZHQ1588-RDM-SPK/dp/B07F9SRSGK/ref=sr_1_15?crid=9G3HMVJ5GS0M&dchild=1&keywords=patio%2Bheater&qid=1593071123&sprefix=patio%2Bhe%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-15&th=1

They say the heat doesnt travel more that a few inches from it

Verified Purchase
    I wanted to use this to provide some warmth on cold nights when getting out of our hot tub.

The boom is back baby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

urranger wrote: »
    Hi
    Aldi are selling one of these and I'm wondering if anyone got one before. Is it Energy efficient? I can't find any reviews on line.
    https://www.google.com...q_aVSJM5t_0f6VsOjTAO

Is it energy efficient?!

Hoping for electrical energy efficiency when aiming to heat up the outside World using a 1500w plug in heater is an utterly astounding aspiration.

Buy a good quality fleece top and drink more wine and you'll feel a lot warmer.

Advertisement