Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Regatta clearance sale.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Regatta has been on special offer for the last few years. Quality is way off what it was years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bought some regatta stuff recently and thought it was good quality. Will check out the sale in store.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bought some regatta stuff recently and thought it was good quality. Will check out the sale in store.

Doesent compare with a quality brand as in keeping rain out

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sorry for OT, what would be a decent brand nowadays? I did think Regatta were supposed to be one of the better brands, but maybe not anymore.

I'm interested in a decent jacket for Winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

byte wrote: »
    Sorry for OT, what would be a decent brand nowadays? I did think Regatta were supposed to be one of the better brands, but maybe not anymore.

Patagonia?

• Advertisement

Maybe not their waterproof stuff but I bought some nice fleeces and jackets. Fleeces were 15 euro, couldn't go wrong.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,599 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I find the Holcombe Low walking shoes very comfortable for everyday wear.
    Never used them for actual hill walking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

byte wrote: »

Probably not bad for the money. Excellent reviews on Amazon for Regatta stuff.

Some coats aren't meant to be waterproof. It will say in the description if they are proof or resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Quality not great.
    And Regatta have a near permeant sale
    Usually between 50% off and 70% off.
    I don't ever recall when they didn't have a sale.

If you do a search you will find multiple previous Regatta threads on Bargain alerts. All started by people who thought they were having an actual 70% off sale..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I spent 100 quid on one of their lightweight waterproof jackets about a year ago. I've been out in prolonged heavy showers while hiking and it keeps me bone dry. Water still beads on it. Quality seems pretty good to me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of their stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Regatta has been on special offer for the last few years. Quality is way off what it was years ago.

100% correct. Seems to me a lot of the brands that were once synonymous with quality have gone to the dogs in recent years. M & M direct, for example, have been peddling sub-standard product for years from those once top notch labels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

dodzy wrote: »
    100% correct. Seems to me a lot of the brands that were once synonymous with quality have gone to the dogs in recent years. M & M direct, for example, have been peddling sub-standard product for years from those once top notch labels.

Not sure if this counts for Regatta but anything to do with Sports Direct has gone down the pan quality wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Not sure if this counts for Regatta but anything to do with Sports Direct has gone down the pan quality wise.

Sports direct ( I think they sell regatta stuff), M&M, jjbsports - what used to be good quality is lost with this shower. Granted, you’re paying less than would be expected, in many cases, a lot less, which should be enough to raise eyebrows, but what you’re getting for your money is little more than tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jellyonaplate

I had a regatta rain jacket that cost €150 and a north face that was slightly more and the quality is miles apart, I find north face much better and they often have sales online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

have a family member who works in a womens clothes shop that sells a lot of cheap tat, factory seconds' type stuff, it doesn't normally sell outerwear at all but when they do, it's Regatta.

Having said that, I got a fleece lined coat of theirs with a hood on it as a gift from said family member about 5 years ago and I still wear it in the winter when the weather is rotten and it keeps me very warm and dry, never had water get in it and I wear it on long walks.

But if I was looking for a light or medium weight waterproof jacket I might look elsewhere and spend a bit more as the more modern fabrics in use by better brands can still be a bit breathable AND waterproof but the Regatta ones just basically keep everything in which is what you want when it's cold and wet but if it's mild you can end up sweating so much that it kind of defeats the purpose of having a jacket to keep water out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

I bought some Regetta stuff in a recent 'sale' too and the quality is not good. As in - it was worth the 70% off price, but not in a million years the supposed original price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have Regatta waterproof walking shoes. The seams burst after 7 months or so. They got a fair bit of use as an everyday shoe for walk to work & on light grass at week ends but still very disappointing.

North Face all the way but prices can be eye-watering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Regatta used to have a few Goretex jackets, which would be covered by the Goretex warranty, but they seem to have gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Discodog wrote: »
    Regatta used to have a few Goretex jackets, which would be covered by the Goretex warranty, but they seem to have gone.

The GoreTex material will be covered by the warranty, but the seams, zips etc which regatta add or sow on will not be, I would think. GoreTex is just the coating that's on the fabric, or maybe they supply the fabric with the coating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

etxp wrote: »
    The GoreTex material will be covered by the warranty, but the seams, zips etc which regatta add or sow on will not be, I would think. GoreTex is just the coating that's on the fabric, or maybe they supply the fabric with the coating.

I have heard that Goretex are good with their warranty & don't allow poor manufacturing to sully their product. Goretex is a membrane that's bonded to the fabric.

I wouldn't generally buy Regatta. I would consider a Regatta Goretex if it were a good deal. I work outdoors & have a lot of jackets. I only ever buy online, usually ebay & I often go for unfashionable but quality brands like Keela.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Some of the Regatta stuff is decent.. but shop around.

e.g one jacket on sale reduced from €80 to €55 but found on another website for €34.49.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I like Reggata stuff. Prefer Trespass though.
    You have to remember though. Regatta and Trespass are the lower end/ value brand of the outdoor clothing market. Like Aldi and Lidl

Don’t expect to much of them if your a seasoned hiker etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Is it just me or is the site terrible? Constant resizing of the images. head ache inducing

Maybe not their waterproof stuff but I bought some nice fleeces and jackets. Fleeces were 15 euro, couldn't go wrong.

Agree ref fleeces but honestly their waterproofing is ****e

It is. Non breathable, poorly designed and made with cheap materials.
    To be frank never understood why people want multiple fleeces and rain jackets. Why not just buy one good quality jacket that will last. I bought a North Face jacket 15 years ago and it does me fine. I own one fleece. This is not fast fashion where you need multiple jackets in different colours for different hikes.
    Forget about the 70% off Regatta rubbish and buy something quality instead that will last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

How is the water still heading on my one year old regatta jacket so? I cycle to work a lot these days and wear it constantly. Long hikes too and it keeps me dry. I’ve never treated the fabric. The north face I had before it was a bit more expensive and not as good. Maybe I just got lucky because everyone in this thread seems to think differently. North Face make good stuff but you pay a premium for the logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

You have to remember though. Regatta and Trespass are the lower end/ value brand of the outdoor clothing market. Like Aldi and Lidl

I'm not a hiker at all and I still thought the quality was basically Penny's with a brand on it. Not a slight on Penny's, which is genuinely quite decent for the price, but the only thing seperately it and Regetta in most cases is the brand. Some Regetta stuff is better than others, but any of the 70% off stuff I've bought is just about worth what was paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Regatta are for going to work or the shops.
    Expecting too much if you want hiking gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Does anyone know if their tshirts have inner seams that are stitched flat?

• Advertisement

You can't spend €50 on a jacket and expect it to compare with a Northface jacket which cost €100 more.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

You can't spend €50 on a jacket and expect it to compare with a Northface jacket which cost €100 more.

Having bought multiple so called w proof jackets over the years I definitely agree that you need to be spending to get quality ( great outdoors stuff in general is good but anything of quality is over e100 but it lasts,not the regatta shi*e obviously)

Why not? If it is a €50 jacket from the Regatta 70%off range, then it actually a €167 jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Why not? If it is a €50 jacket from the Regatta 70%off range, then it actually a €167 jacket.

Regatta have a permanent 'sale' so their jacket is actually a €50 jacket. Trespass have the same business model - both are variants of the 'outlet scam' often associated with prestige brands whereby goods are produced specifically to be sold at a "discounted" price, with tags proclaiming RRPs which were never actually charged.

Having said that, I disagree that you 'must' spend more to get quality - although it is often true. Plenty of supposedly 'good' brands are manufactured to standards similar to those of lower standing, but get away with it due to their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Slightly of topic. I also have North Face jacket. Have it Years. Now you see all the young bogies and howyas all wearing North Face. It actually puts me off buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Regatta have a permanent 'sale' so their jacket is actually a €50 jacket. Trespass have the same business model - both are variants of the 'outlet scam' often associated with prestige brands whereby goods are produced specifically to be sold at a "discounted" price, with tags proclaiming RRPs which were never actually charged.
    That would be against the law. They have to have had the item on sale at the higher quoted price for at least 30 of the previous 90 days, or something similar.

• Advertisement

That would be against the law. They have to have had the item on sale at the higher quoted price for at least 30 of the previous 90 days, or something similar.
    Regatta have 19 shops in Ireland so theoritically if something is on 70% off sale it should have been available in one of those 19 shops at full price for 30 of the previous 90 days. In practice this is never checked. I doubt very much if any of their 70%off range was ever on display at a shop at full price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Slightly of topic. I also have North Face jacket. Have it Years. Now you see all the young bogies and howyas all wearing North Face. It actually puts me off buying it.

Your 100% right - The Adidas and Nike wearing brigade have now ventured onto Northface and Under Armour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

went in to the Galway Store to have a look. the range on offer is generic and no great to be honest. I wanted to check sizes but anything I choose online wasnt available in store. Check returns policy and ordered about 80 quids worth of fleeces, 2 jackets one insulated for work and a softshell hoodie. hopefully it goes alright otherwise il be sending back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Got kids fleeces in their last sale for 6-7-Eleven. They are well worth the price for running in and out the back garden after school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Regatta have 19 shops in Ireland so theoritically if something is on 70% off sale it should have been available in one of those 19 shops at full price for 30 of the previous 90 days. In practice this is never checked. I doubt very much if any of their 70%off range was ever on display at a shop at full price.
    You should give details to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

• Advertisement
Advertisement