Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Higher Level Maths Vs. Leaving Cert Ordinary Level

Options
  • 18-04-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Just wondering how the standard of leaving cert ordinary level compares to junior cert higher level? I'm going into 5th year in September and I don't want to waste time with higher level maths as I have no intention of doing anything maths related in college. I also know that maths wouldn't be in my top 6 subjects so the bonus points wouldn't really help me. I got a B in higher level for the junior cert, so would this mean I would have very little trouble with the ordinary level course?
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Hi guys,
    Just wondering how the standard of leaving cert ordinary level compares to junior cert higher level? I'm going into 5th year in September and I don't want to waste time with higher level maths as I have no intention of doing anything maths related in college. I also know that maths wouldn't be in my top 6 subjects so the bonus points wouldn't really help me. I got a B in higher level for the junior cert, so would this mean I would have very little trouble with the ordinary level course?
    Thanks! :)

Ordinary leaving cert is a little harder than higher level Junior Cert. You have new topics to cover in the Leaving Cert cycle too, like Logarithms and Functions gets more complicated and there's also Calculus and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BePhenomenal

I don't see how you can say maths won't be in your top 6? If you just get a D3 then that is 70 points. How can you know you'll get that much in all your other subjects when you've never even experienced any of them at Leaving Cert level?

And that's just with a bare pass. If you work at it I'm sure you could get more than a D3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't see how you can say maths won't be in your top 6? If you just get a D3 then that is 70 points. How can you know you'll get that much in all your other subjects when you've never even experienced any of them at Leaving Cert level?

And that's just with a bare pass. If you work at it I'm sure you could get more than a D3.

This is the last year of the bonus points afaik. I stand to be corrected though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

thelad95 wrote: »
    This is the last year of the bonus points afaik. I stand to be corrected though.

Correction! :p Next year is, but it'll almost certainly be renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Correction! :p Next year is, but it'll almost certainly be renewed.

Not necessarily. The ultimate aim was to push more people towards science/engineering/ IT. If they feel that aim has been achieved, it won't be renewed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

thelad95 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. The ultimate aim was to push more people towards science/engineering/ IT. If they feel that aim has been achieved, it won't be renewed.

Obviously! But, there's been a huge increase in Higher Maths take-up since the introduction of the scheme (31% of the cohort has entered to sit it this June versus 16% who sat it in 2011), and while some attribute that to the new syllabus (fat chance!), they're not going to run the risk of a massive fall-off. I'd love to see what would happen, though.

Advertisement