Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese in the LC

Options
  • 16-04-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi there!

I'm currently in 5th year and my mother would like me to take Japanese for my LC. Although it isn't taught in my school, my mother is Japanese so she will be teaching me at home.

She is certain that I can learn enough Japanese to be able to do my LC next year. I, however, think otherwise. Although I can speak a good bit of Japanese, I cannot read nor write it. I don't think I will have the time to study 7 subjects and learn Japanese, especially now (considering it's already April).

What do you guys think? Do you think it's wise to study a (new-ish) language at this time of the year?

For those of you that are studying Japanese as a LC subject, how hard do you find it?

Can someone tell me what's on the syllabus and what books you guys are using?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

>>The syllabus<<

I agree with your mother: if you are motivated to apply yourself, a high grade in a foreign language is easily achievable at that stage for one with only moderate proficiency.

I took up App Maths a little into Sixth Year, and the motivation that I had for catching-up in that spilled over to my other subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

LC Japanese is pretty manageable standard, if you can already speak just a little and your mum wants to teach you then you'll fly it, it'd be mad not to pick it up to be honest.

The LC text is nihongo kantan, it's okay, if you can't get hold of a copy then the syllabus is fine. After the kana you only need to learn about 120 kanji, all of which are listed in the syllabus.

If you use the search function too there has been several informative threads in the past. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Thank you both for your replies!

I've given it some thought and I think I'm going to try and study Japanese for the LC. I've listened to and read a few of the HL aural papers and I could answer 99% of it, which is more than what I could answer in OL French.

Thank you guys again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cheerios wrote: »
    Thank you both for your replies!

I've given it some thought and I think I'm going to try and study Japanese for the LC. I've listened to and read a few of the HL aural papers and I could answer 99% of it, which is more than what I could answer in OL French.

Thank you guys again!

Good for you.
    Just make sure to inform your school's Examinations Secretary of your plans as he/she will have to contact the SEC to register you to sit the exam and make arrangements for your oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

spurious wrote: »
    Good for you.
    Just make sure to inform your school's Examinations Secretary of your plans as he/she will have to contact the SEC to register you to sit the exam and make arrangements for your oral.

Thank you! I will make sure to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 PPLI

Saturday classes are provided for free by the Post-Primary Languages Initiative which is funded by the Department of Education and Skills. You can find registration details on the website which you can find by searching languages initiative and then going to the page for Japanese students.

Advertisement